Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 475767 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2430 on: April 15, 2020, 12:55:30 am »

Btw: recent case-control studies with HCQ point to it providing some symptom relief (if at all) but little else, with similar times to seroconversion and ICU admission rates

Is that with or without azithromycin and zinc? I heard that HCQ by itself is expected to be mostly useful as a prophylactic.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:58:23 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: April 15, 2020, 03:48:12 am »

Btw: recent case-control studies with HCQ point to it providing some symptom relief (if at all) but little else, with similar times to seroconversion and ICU admission rates
Which may or may not be a good thing.

"Not feeling so bad" might help someone clinically on the edge have the confidence to strive to pull through, or give the treatment team confidence that helps.

OTOH, some symptoms are part of the body's defence mechansims. Some of those are more like desperate flailing at the threat (could even be counterproductive, 'cos diseases be crazy-prepared like that[1]) but others are doing good things.

I doubt HCQ is discriminatory about this, and it'll be a balance. Also a balance against whatever else it does to the body; conditions that might be less serious under continuous hospital care but might complicate the life of self-medicating walking wounded already reluctant to seek to visit an actual doctor.

[1] It's evolutionary success, really. Like the organism that found it encouraged its mouse-hosts to no longer be as afraid of its subsequent cat-hosts, through randomly tweaking some specific response mechanism. Or, if you prefer it simple, absolutely every disease that provokes sneezing (the point at which pollen also works out how to hijack this system, I'm officially a slave to plants...)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: April 15, 2020, 11:48:36 am »

(Post + time + Post ≠ Doublepost)

As far as I can tell, from what I just heard of the UK Daily Briefing, either side of an incoming phone-call, they're effectively going to roll out a "Thanks for Turning Up" medal badge. Which sounds really insincere to me.  If it goes on long enough I could imagine it being essentially a Pip, Squeak And Wilfred set...

I wish the politicians would step back. Let the professionals say things (it could still be things approved by the politicos, I expect) and stay away from the glibb stuff, please.

(Edited for tyops.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:14:19 pm by Starver »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: April 15, 2020, 12:32:07 pm »

They're bragging that the prisons in my county haven't had any positive tests for corvid yet. They are conveniently leaving out how many people have tested negative. I'm going to guess that if it's a non-zero number, I can easily count the number of tests on my fingers.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: April 15, 2020, 12:56:29 pm »

Yeah, our local papers were pretty cheerful about how we (and some neighboring counties) didn't have positive cases for a while. Conveniently left out were the testing rates -- at the time one of the involved could literally have their total testing numbers counted on your fingers. Others would leave you toes to spare.

Needless to say once testing continued for a bit, they found positives :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:14 pm »

Lockdowns are starting to show their mental health toll - 5 weeks in, and we are now having protests where protesters are not social distancing, demanding to go back to work...

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Protesters-block-traffic-around-Michigan-Capitol-in-Lansing-569660231.html

This is the stuff that really scares me, moreso than the virus itself.

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: April 15, 2020, 03:48:32 pm »

My ass moved to the country the week before this all started.

There is one confirmed case in my actual home area. Luckily my family works in/near the city so I can get my proper dose of general covid worry.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: April 15, 2020, 04:37:22 pm »

Eh, the confirmed case count means precisely fuck and all. Almost nowhere on the planet is testing to the degree that number is even fucking remotely reliable right now. If there's a confirmed case in your actual home area the number of infected is probably pretty significant, especially given the incident rates of a- and pre-symptomatic carriers.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: April 15, 2020, 05:08:01 pm »

Well, it's basically farmland for miles around. So like, 10 cases would be catastrophic in my immediate area.

I can go outside and stuff without seeing anyone at all, maybe like one neighbor kid on a bike every so often.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: April 15, 2020, 05:09:19 pm »

Amongst the crew of the french aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, which returned to port last week because of two dozen or so crew members had corona like symptoms, now 700 marines have tested positive for the virus.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: April 15, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »

I wouldn't even know what my test would reveal (and I'm not prime material for testing). I don't think I am, but I'd probably put my chance of testing negative as 50%±50%.

I feel Ok (briskly walked a couple of miles to the supermarket[1], walked less briskly back due to my bulging bag-for-life (*fnar fnar*) and a small hill leading back up to my own door) but that actually doesn't mean much, we know.Maybe lucky for me, but by extension could be a problem for someone else.

[1] With stupidly half-hearted one-way system indicated on aisles, but not enforced. I obeyed them, but many others didn't. Or blocked the aisle (e.g. trolley[2] perpendicular as they stare at a section of shelving, deep in consideration, and I could hardly have squeezed past even without trying to give lip-service to the 2m of space) regardless of what direction they went in.
[2] Shopping trolleys (US: carts) being compulsary for... reasons..? I only actually needed slightly over a handful of perishables, but a set of meticulously wiped (handles only?) trolleys were forced upon everyone who passed the half-way point of the barrier-deliniated queue outside. So I then of course got another hand-and-a-half worth of non-perishables because I could to make the visit worthwhile and last longer to delay the next shopping trip out.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:48:06 pm by Starver »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: April 15, 2020, 06:38:04 pm »

I reckon that was part of it - Americans shop for a week or two at a time, usually. Perhaps that place was encouraging similar behavior by requiring trolleys. Hell, my mother had enough food in her house to last her a month, before even going shopping.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: April 15, 2020, 07:12:41 pm »

Eh, it depends a lot on specifics. Folks without much storage space (small apartment stuff) tend to shop more. Folks with a fair amount tend to shop less, since they, y'know, have places to put things. Where I'm at (and the baseline I try to meet for my household regardless), we usually have enough squirrelled away we could go without grocery shopping for probably a month, maybe two if we stretched things. It wouldn't be exactly enjoyable (fresh or comfort food is most of our regular monthly/bi-monthly shopping, with replenishing staples less common), but we wouldn't starve.

This is mostly just due to habitual hurricane prep -- sometimes shit breaks down for weeks because nature just decked your ass like an angry fist of god, so you have weeks of emergency supplies -- but it applies to other issues, too, heh. We've never really had to lean on the habit, but it is a massive relief to not really have to worry about food at any given time, even if shit's gone pretty south. Things get particularly unpleasant when you're worrying about when your next meal is going to be. Much less so if it's just when your next good one is.
Ask not!
Ask!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: April 15, 2020, 07:34:48 pm »

I am now in the group of people that knows someone with a confirmed case of coronavirus.  EDIT:They are bedridden and on a ventilator.  Someone who worked closely with that person has a cough and reports shortness of breath at times, but apparently is not worthy of a test.

So yea, either tests being available is complete bullshit or Florida is trying to keep it's numbers down by not issuing tests to those that have reason to be tested.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:39:32 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: April 15, 2020, 07:53:51 pm »

It sounds like my good coworker has recovered, and will be returning to work.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 459