Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 475642 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1305 on: March 19, 2020, 03:31:39 pm »

Been working there for 3 years up til that point too.  A goddamn lifetime for such a low level retail job, I outlasted 3 store managers, 2 district managers, and every employee.  And despite it being a crappy retail job I actually 'liked' working there.  I liked helping the customers find things they needed, I liked most of the people I worked with, most of our regulars knew me by name.I liked knowing exactly how the systems in the store worked.  I even was acting store manager for a week during the last manager changeover. I butt heads with the boss now and then but so does everybody.

Its a shame after all that time working there and going beyond what was required multiple times for a crappy 9.25 an hour, taking maybe 2 days off for the entire 3 years I worked, I have a legitimate reason to take a few weeks off and I'm told flat out 'no' and that I'm being selfish for even suggesting it.  Fuck corporate america.

EDIT: I imagine turning my keys in qualifies as quitting, not being fired.  Not an expert on such things though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:40:48 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 19, 2020, 03:32:54 pm »

Your boss is a douchebag.
Spread the story amongst those regulars who know you by name, make him lose customers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 19, 2020, 03:34:33 pm »

@Grieger - go to the local news station. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: March 19, 2020, 03:35:08 pm »

Your boss is a douchebag.
Spread the story amongst those regulars who know you by name, make him lose customers.
do this, losing profits is the only way your boss will learn

PPE:
@Grieger - go to the local news station. :3
and this

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: March 19, 2020, 03:47:56 pm »

Quite a few of the longer term employees told me during the last manager switchover that if I leave they plan to as well.  Don't know if they actually will, since it was largely because everyone hated the new management. One of them is in almost the exact same situation I am, staying with a mother who is recovering from lung cancer.

As for the customers I have no way to contact them without physically going to their homes to talk to them (I delivered groceries to a few of them) and that would be counter to the quarantine.  Most of them live right by the store as well, even if I knew they would be willing, I would not feel right depriving them of their most convenient dollar general out of some favor to me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 19, 2020, 03:50:48 pm »

Quite a few of the longer term employees told me during the last manager switchover that if I leave they plan to as well.  Don't know if they actually will, since it was largely because everyone hated the new management. One of them is in almost the exact same situation I am, staying with a mother who is recovering from lung cancer.

As for the customers I have no way to contact them without physically going to their homes to talk to them (I delivered groceries to a few of them) and that would be counter to the quarantine.  Most of them live right by the store as well, even if I knew they would be willing, I would not feel right depriving them of their most convenient dollar general out of some favor to me.
makes sense. I wish you well

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 19, 2020, 03:51:02 pm »

Name and shame.  Hurt his profits, that's the only thing that will teach sociopaths like your ex-boss.
And open your own dollar general store, you already have people who will likely want to work for you, and people who will rather buy from you  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:52:39 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 19, 2020, 04:02:08 pm »

Since this may be of interest to you, Greiger, and others, the mechanism of the 'cash to people' getting shortly proposed in the Senate is probably going to be just straight 'checks to people', but some Rs are pushing for it to be linked to unemployment benefits.

I imagine dealing with the unemployment system right now is going to be hellish (there's already been some reporting on it), so fingers crossed.

Dollar amount uncertain, but latest rumors were two ~$1000 payments (one this month, one... later) to those earning under $75k.

Senate may be passing it before the end of the week, House presumably passing it next week, then becoming law shortly thereafter. Unsure how long that means it'd actually take for people to start getting relief funds, though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: March 19, 2020, 04:18:16 pm »

Some computer models that are available on the web predict Spanish peak around mid April.

Italy is supposed to FINALLY reach the peak early next week. I really really hope they do. Sweet bus, this is the most awful thing I've ever lived through.

Meanwhile Ireland has matched for the last 4 days the progression of the number of cases in Spain. I really hope they do a mass lockdown soon because otherwise things are going to get very ugly. Ireland only has 300 ICU beds  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Quote from: Th4DwArfY1
snip
Try to avoid people as much as you can. I know this isolation is hard as hell but the way I hear it the numbers per day in Northern Ireland are just as bad or worse. Stay safe.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 19, 2020, 04:26:07 pm »

Restaurant closed down and I became unemployed on a day's notice. Just gonna get fucked up for two weeks and figure it out 👌

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: March 19, 2020, 04:36:24 pm »

Man, good luck folks. Hope y'all come out okay.

Came in to chime in libraries seem to be closing to the public en masse now stateside -- came in to work today after some time off for doctor-y stuff to find out our doors are closed and will be for at least two weeks, poking around doing normal work stuff (ransacking other libraries MARC records) shows bunches of other ones are too, now, mostly having started Monday and planning on staying shut for 1-2 weeks to start.

No one fired or hours lost or anything (benefits of being public service, I guess) so far where I'm at, but it's a thing.

It's probably worth noting as a PSA that if folks are interested, most libraries have online services of one sort or another (E-books, etc.), and many are still retaining staff for covering patron calls and inquiries and whatnot, so if you want a distraction or whatever, that might be a possible venue. Helps if you already got a card but secret librarian cabal chatter (okay, it's the Koha mailing list but whatev') suggests some places are trying to figure out a process for folks that don't, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 19, 2020, 06:02:26 pm »

Do we have confirmed info what actually is in the convoy? I found claims about moving coffins, but it is only on Russian founded sites (they may be right this time, but I prefer to check).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 19, 2020, 06:05:50 pm »

Mom is self quarantining after her doctor told her to.  Since I partially take care of her and she can't quarantine if I'm not.  I called into work and told my boss I had to quarantine, boss refused to allow it.  I responded by taking one last trip out of the house to hand over my store keys and uniform.

I guess I'm unemployed now, yay?

Also, since you partially take care of her, you may also be affected. He's asking you to intentionally risk infecting people.

At least now you have time to stand/sit outside yelling at people about what happened. I'm sure customers would be interesting in finding out the store wants them to get infected.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 19, 2020, 06:08:30 pm »

Man, good luck folks. Hope y'all come out okay.

Came in to chime in libraries seem to be closing to the public en masse now stateside -- came in to work today after some time off for doctor-y stuff to find out our doors are closed and will be for at least two weeks, poking around doing normal work stuff (ransacking other libraries MARC records) shows bunches of other ones are too, now, mostly having started Monday and planning on staying shut for 1-2 weeks to start.

No one fired or hours lost or anything (benefits of being public service, I guess) so far where I'm at, but it's a thing.

It's probably worth noting as a PSA that if folks are interested, most libraries have online services of one sort or another (E-books, etc.), and many are still retaining staff for covering patron calls and inquiries and whatnot, so if you want a distraction or whatever, that might be a possible venue. Helps if you already got a card but secret librarian cabal chatter (okay, it's the Koha mailing list but whatev') suggests some places are trying to figure out a process for folks that don't, too.

Library where I live is closed now, but they will start a book delivery service. You tell them which book you enjoyed and they will drop you a book in that category in the mailbox. Keeps their employees employed, and I'm looking forward to what whatever I'll receive, plenty of time to read now..

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 19, 2020, 06:17:54 pm »

Staff at the hospital in Omaha we went to seemed pretty chill. She'll have surgery by the end of the month but they seemed somewhat nervous about her attempting to delay it to find a time she liked more. When the question was put to them directly, they said her chances of contracting Covid-19 were greater on the streets than in the hospital at this time.

Still, when a couple got up to leave the Cancer Center, the older gentleman was wearing a face mask and coughing a little, and the nursing staff immediately called someone over to wipe down the entire chair he'd been sitting in. Who knows, maybe they did it for mine too. And yes, I wore the gloves. I thought about asking for a mask but it didn't take even 3 minutes for me to hear the nurses being incredulous about patients and visitors asking for masks when they're already short handed....so I kept my mouth firmly shut. For multiple reasons. >.>

We're up to 24 confirmed cases in Nebraska. My brother reports 55 in Iowa.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 459