Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 474677 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1140 on: March 17, 2020, 07:15:47 pm »

It's really not harmless, undercutting jobs that might actually meaningfully support a family just as a start. We should really not fucking incentivize corps to figure out how to wrangle paying their workers fuckall by reason of them being currently incarcerated, and that's just the tip of the iceberg so far as issues with penal labor goes. Either pay the work what it's due or fuck off, and 80 cents per hour isn't the due for goddamn anything anymore.
This is Holland you're talking about. They don't have a profit-driven penal system, so that incentive doesn't exist. Furthermore, it's voluntary, since you can't be forced to work if you haven't been sentenced to labour.
You guys are really trying to find a hole in this.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 17, 2020, 07:40:28 pm »

Current state of this thread: WTF?

The real virus is this thread.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:12 pm »

Current state of this thread: WTF?

The real virus is this thread.
Yeah, if someone is interested in discussing prison/labor/slavery - create a new thread and link to it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 17, 2020, 08:16:39 pm »

It's really not harmless, undercutting jobs that might actually meaningfully support a family just as a start. We should really not fucking incentivize corps to figure out how to wrangle paying their workers fuckall by reason of them being currently incarcerated, and that's just the tip of the iceberg so far as issues with penal labor goes. Either pay the work what it's due or fuck off, and 80 cents per hour isn't the due for goddamn anything anymore.

Also not the thread for it, though. I'm sure some prison or another will get their population infected and then probably disproportionately killed, then it'll have a good place in the crow plague thread.

Hello, I'd like to point out that there is a terrible lack of healthcare material right now. Those masks are specially needed, doubly so if somehow they are assembling HEPA masks. But even regular masks would be fine. China has promised shipments and some have actually arrived but the lack of protection equipments is actually critical. More masks will make a huge difference.

If we could get everyone wearing masks we could probably even control this sooner and in a less damaging way than we would otherwise. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 17, 2020, 08:25:50 pm »

Hell, sure. Just pay the folks making them more than 80 cents an hour is all I'm saying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 17, 2020, 08:50:58 pm »

The situation is really dire. At this point we should consider trying to get people to volunteer to do them for free at home or in prison, if given the raw materials. Seriously, it's that dire. Most medical teams in Europe are working without protective masks. If you think that's tough because they are risking having coronavirus disease, that's only half the problem: as it happens there *is* such a thing as asymptomatic carriers of coronavirus. Nobody knows how many there are, but it's thought that there are more than people WITH symptoms. Maybe even ten times as many, according to some models.. So, some doctors after contacting a covid patient, or a patient that carries covid unknowingly, will contract covid and get sick, hence having less doctors to treat the upcoming maelstrom (again, for the most part covid is a collective risk, rather than a personal one that's why it is so insidious).  Other doctors won't actually get sick but they *will* carry the disease. So if you go to the hospital you want doctors to have any kind of mask, but preferibly FFP3. 

Though TBH I think at this point all Europe is hoping the Chinese will bail us out and provide all the medical material we need. The sooner that happens, the less likely the situation of Italy will repeat in Spain, France, UK, and Germany.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:52:43 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:36 pm »

Meanwhile convicts in Brazil decided to just leave prison after new Coronavirus restrictions.
There was also a prison break in Italy

Iran looks positively enlightened  by comparison since they straight up released many of theirs.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 17, 2020, 09:05:11 pm »

I can't see anything wrong with it either, it seems really harmless.

Opponents say things like "the same government offices that set state prosecution guidelines for conviction rates and severity are also building their budgets around the dividends from prison labor programs they also administer" and "elections to head these offices are intensely lobbied and campaigned for by the companies profiting from these programs", but I think what they're missing is that criminals need to be punished.
yep, sounds like America. This country sucks in regards to this. I wonder if there is anyone against for profit prisons

Back to Coronavirus: My college won’t be having classes on the 23 or 24 of March, and there will be remote classes in the 25, due to Coronavirus

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 17, 2020, 09:08:43 pm »

(It is worth noting that Belgium's prisons are probably much better condition wise than American prisons, so prison labor may not actually be slave labor there.)

Anyways! Work has gone remote for me (engineering), and the office building is basically locking up for the upcoming months. Not seeing a whole lot of forced closures here in GA, but it's likely to happen as things intensfy.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 17, 2020, 09:17:34 pm »

Maybe this sounds pessimistic but I think prison slave labour will be far from the worst things human right wise that happens by the end if this year.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 18, 2020, 02:12:47 am »

What does K-12 schools mean? Colleges? The usage of campuses led me to conclude such.

Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 18, 2020, 02:23:43 am »

K-12 is kindergarden til 12th grade.  Basically all the school children attend before they become an adult.  Does not include colleges, but plenty of colleges are shutting down as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 18, 2020, 02:29:48 am »

Kindergarten and 1st through 12th grade, which should focus more on things like identifying interests, developing useful skills, preparation for apprenticeships for some, straight trade school for others, and higher education for those interested.

Sadly it's more about instilling a willingness to perform vague, often pointless tasks, with a vague implication that there will be a point and reward for it, but it's probably best not to question the way things are too much because it's just the way things are, so if you figured out how to get ahead of the game congratulations, if not... hey, here's a diploma you can use for... not much, but if you want another shot at figuring things out you're welcome to keep going, but you gotta pay now!

In other actually on topic news: fuck.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 18, 2020, 02:37:22 am »

K-12 is kindergarden til 12th grade.  Basically all the school children attend before they become an adult.  Does not include colleges, but plenty of colleges are shutting down as well.

...And they're shutting them down for the rest of the YEAR? That's crazy. Straight crazy.

Edit: I realised immediately after posting that they of course mean school year. I guess I had forgotten those kinds of year exist ;)

Still crazy though! But not quite as crazy.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:39:01 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 459