Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 474654 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1110 on: March 17, 2020, 11:05:01 am »

He's gonna be petty whether your governor is kissing his ass or not, because he was already petty, 2 years ago.

That "nasty question" which turdbucket was asked about his cuts to the agency responsible for unnecessary things like fighting diseases which aren't currently around?

The one which he said he didn't know anything about?

Well, there's video apparently: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/trump-defended-cuts-public-health-agencies/608158/

Ah, well, nevertheless I suppose he'll wriggle out of this one, but is it too much to hope that among the victims of this pandemic we'll be able to count his reelection campaign?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 17, 2020, 11:07:37 am »

It feels as if everyone in the West is dropping the ball hard on this.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Lot of weak men in positions of power.

Meanwhile, my governor is getting into twitter fights with Trump, so my state is fucked because Trump's gonna be petty
Its unbelievable. Our Head of Sanitary Alerts who is supposed to watch out for this stuff gave his blessing to the 8th of march parades. His fucking blessing.
Shit, I did not think things would get this bad back then as I largely believed the official lines we were being fed. But that made me uneasy, even back then.
The reason Spain is the fastest growing country traces back to that
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 17, 2020, 11:24:26 am »

Meanwhile, my governor is getting into twitter fights with Trump, so my state is fucked because Trump's gonna be petty

Twitter fight is Trump's red herring. When others react he already succeeds. No need to go petty further for him.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 17, 2020, 11:47:42 am »

In Poland member of KRS ("National Judiciary Commision"?) tested positive. https://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomosci/7,173952,25797845,czlonek-krs-zakazony-koronawirusem-rada-obradowala-jeszcze.html

Minister of environment (Michał Woś) also tested positive, other ministers were tested and are not ill ( https://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomosci/7,173952,25797606,przebadano-czlonkow-rzadu-na-obecnosc-koronawirusa-szumowski.html ).

Up to 24h delay at border crossings in Poland (Korczowa, at Ukraine border). At one Belarus crossing there is queue of 2000 trucks, increased by 1000 within last 24 hours ( https://next.gazeta.pl/next/7,173953,25797172,dlugie-kolejki-na-granicach-szef-zrzeszenia-miedzynarodowych.html). Official data: https://granica.gov.pl/j/index.php/675-czasy-oczekiwan-granica-wewnetrzna with hilarious motto at top "Przekraczanie granic nigdy nie było tak proste" (crossing borders never was so easy).

----

border queue photos: https://nowiny24.pl/koronawirus-na-granicy-setki-samochodow-i-tysiace-ludzi-czeka-na-odprawe-przed-przejsciem-granicznym-w-korczowej-zdjecia/ar/c1-14858653

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-----

I just was teaching online for the first time, it went better than expected.

----

A landlord can just build more apartments.
The entire point is that some place effectively outlawed/discouraged most of housing construction. And strongly encouraged converting rental properties into luxury residences. For example in SF via zoning laws and rent control laws.
Even so, I don't need to maximize my salary. What am I supposed to do with the excess? My time is limited, my consumption is limited. As long as I live comfortably, why would I need more money? It's just going to sit there growing in a pile.

Greedy people are the problem. Demand doesn't suddenly change your expenses.
It is sad that many people are too greedy, but ignoring human nature is not helpful.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:56:15 am by mko »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 17, 2020, 12:05:30 pm »

Oh hey, first confirmed case in my hometown. And surprising absolutely no one it was handled horribly which will lead to a bigger outbreak.

Basically a dude and one family member got back from fucking Italy of all places a week or so ago and didn't think telling anyone was important, cue him getting hospitalized today and some additional fuckery going on without proper quarantine or letting the staff know where he was (all because he has a doctor friend) until it was too late. So now you got a bunch of random people in town that are most certainly infected as well as a number of important hospital staff that may or may not be infected as well.

Just fucking lovely.

Here in the US, we have the TSA, who will certainly check passengers coming from infected areas...wait, I'm receiving a report that they do fuck all besides hassling people about water bottles.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 17, 2020, 12:16:47 pm »

I mean, apparently airport folks are *checks notes* taking people's temperatures and then shuffling them into densely packed waiting areas? Wait, that can't be right...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 17, 2020, 12:39:08 pm »

It's not a cruise ship, so I'm sure it's fine.

Edit: It sounds like things might start shutting down around here, now that we've had a few confirmed cases in town. In a few days, when they get the software ready, I should be able to start working from home temporarily.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:46:16 pm by Iduno »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 17, 2020, 01:02:43 pm »

Hospitalizations are increasing exponentially over here, and the number of dead doubled over the past 24h.
In 24 hours, monday to tuesday, hospitalizations rose from 109 to 314, death toll from 19 to 43.
My friend who is a doctor at the hospital just texted me that a hospital in Uden saw patient numbers rise in a few hours today by 73, and the hospital she herself works at is seeing a sudden influx too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 17, 2020, 01:18:53 pm »

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/20/03/17/1135255/softbank-owned-patent-troll-using-monkey-selfie-law-firm-sues-to-block-covid-19-testing-using-theranos-patents

It's a story involving patents, patent trolling, Covid-19, Theranos, and even the company that brought us all WeWork: SoftBank. Oh, and also Irell & Manella, the same law firm that once claimed it could represent a monkey in a copyright infringement dispute. You see, Irell & Manella has now filed one of the most utterly bullshit patent infringement lawsuits you'll ever see. They are representing "Labrador Diagnostics LLC" a patent troll which does not seem to exist other than to file this lawsuit, and which claims to hold the rights to two patents (US Patents 8,283,155 and 10,533,994) which, you'll note, were originally granted to Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos -- the firm that shut down in scandal over medical testing equipment that appears to have been oversold and never actually worked. Holmes is still facing federal charges of wire fraud over the whole Theranos debacle. However, back in 2018, the remains of Theranos sold its patents to Fortress Investment Group. Fortress Investment Group is a SoftBank-funded massive patent troll. You may remember the name from the time last fall when Apple and Intel sued the firm, laying out how Fortress is a sort of uber-patent troll, gathering up a bunch of patents and then shaking down basically everyone. Lovely, right? So, this SoftBank-owned patent troll, Fortress, bought up Theranos patents, and then set up this shell company, "Labrador Diagnostics," which decided that right in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic it was going to sue one of the companies making Covid-19 tests, saying that its test violates those Theranos patents, and literally demanding that the court bar the firm from making those Covid-19 tests.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 17, 2020, 01:21:37 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:21:36 am by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 17, 2020, 01:37:54 pm »

They should declare those patent trolls a terrorist organisation and unleash hellfire drones on them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 17, 2020, 02:00:14 pm »

They should declare those patent trolls a terrorist organisation and unleash hellfire drones on them.

I'm sure they will, once they quit being profitable.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 17, 2020, 02:10:50 pm »

what would need to happen for this?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 17, 2020, 02:12:16 pm »

what would need to happen for this?

A patent system that isn't terrible, which in turn would require long-term thinking, which we just discussed.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 17, 2020, 02:13:06 pm »

I mean, apparently airport folks are *checks notes* taking people's temperatures and then shuffling them into densely packed waiting areas? Wait, that can't be right...

And maybe infect them: https://www.tsa.gov/news/2020/03/17/tsa-statement-covid-19-cle-airport

Edit: Heck, there are over half a dozen such cases over the past few weeks, all of which are screeners: https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 459