Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 474568 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2020, 06:18:29 am »

You have supplies for six weeks? So that is why all the supermarket shelfs are empty. Please stop pillaging the stores people..
Do not attack people too soon. I have supplies for 6 weeks because 2 weeks ago I had for 8. Keeping rolling supply of things that I will use anyway - lentils, pasta, couscous, buckwheat, canned tomatoes, spices, butter, sugar, salt, frozen meat and frozen fruits etc is a good idea.

I am not buying now (1) to allow other to buy stuff (2) I wait for social distancing to become treated seriously.

People, keep rolling reserve of food. Next crisis may be not so mild (many are, but are far more localized and not global), keep minimal reserve of necessary things.

Yeah sorry about that, guess I am a bit agitated because of the behaviour of people in the grocery stores right now. Obviouisly if you already have supplies for months nothing is wrong, but where I live that it is very uncommon for people to store that much at home (I usually have stocks for 3-4 days, and most people I know have similar stocks). Now however people have started hoarding massive amounts of food, if they were slightly more relaxed about the situation, this would all be a bit more manageable.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2020, 07:07:13 am »

Heh, yeah, my household's "normal" stock is 2-3 weeks, usually. Can't bring ourselves to waste the gas and/or time making grocery trips every few days, we food shop once or twice a month. If it weren't just me doing the shopping it might be even less... it's hard to push more than one buggy at a time, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 16, 2020, 07:30:15 am »

You have supplies for six weeks? So that is why all the supermarket shelfs are empty. Please stop pillaging the stores people..
Do not attack people too soon. I have supplies for 6 weeks because 2 weeks ago I had for 8. Keeping rolling supply of things that I will use anyway - lentils, pasta, couscous, buckwheat, canned tomatoes, spices, butter, sugar, salt, frozen meat and frozen fruits etc is a good idea.

I am not buying now (1) to allow other to buy stuff (2) I wait for social distancing to become treated seriously.

People, keep rolling reserve of food. Next crisis may be not so mild (many are, but are far more localized and not global), keep minimal reserve of necessary things.

Yeah sorry about that, guess I am a bit agitated because of the behaviour of people in the grocery stores right now. Obviouisly if you already have supplies for months nothing is wrong, but where I live that it is very uncommon for people to store that much at home (I usually have stocks for 3-4 days, and most people I know have similar stocks). Now however people have started hoarding massive amounts of food, if they were slightly more relaxed about the situation, this would all be a bit more manageable.
I wonder how much of this hoarded food is going to be wasted. Friend was complaining about people buying 10-20 loaves of bread at once. They are not going to eat it all.

And with vegetables probably most of people left it in plastic bags and it will get rotten quickly :(

I have large supply primarily because I hate shopping - I prefer to go once a week to buy fruit/vegetables. And once a month (or two) for stuff lasting for longer.  Why I would go once every month for toothbrush when I can buy in bulk and wait for year or two? And I like buying stuff discounted. But only what I will actually use and would buy anyway, and I will not use more because I bought plenty of it. For example I bought sugar 6 months ago because it was deeply discounted. I still have 20kg.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:33:44 am by mko »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 16, 2020, 07:55:41 am »

20 kg of sugar? I would honestly not know where to store that (well, I could empty my bookshelfs, but meh)
I go shopping for major groceries with the car once a week, but there also is a smaller super market at walking distance. I go there to get some additional fresh groceries and vegetables, like once or twice a week, and only take the stuff I can carry walking or by bike. 

But the lockdown has me worried, not for the groceries but just the whole social aspect of it.
It is quite something for people to be strictly confined to their homes, complete with surveillance and all those things. Obviously this is needed right now, but it is quite an intrusion on the freedom people normally have.
The economy is likely to be wrecked, and we might have all kinds of other issues when this is done,  I just hope that our freedom will be restored to its original state when this is over, I'm not so much worried for where I live, but there are places where this may be less of a given.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 16, 2020, 08:25:46 am »

I just hope that our freedom will be restored to its original state when this is over,

Nope. They found an excuse once, they'll keep doing it. Enjoy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 16, 2020, 08:26:07 am »

I've got a 18m2 apartment with a single cupboard. I don't really have storage space for a long-lasting stockpile.

I'd like to, sure... I used to buy for 1-2 weeks at a time, because that's as much as I could carry in my bag and I had to walk back and forth. And before that, when I was a kid we spent some time living up in the mountains, where a sudden snow or a tree falling over could suddenly block your supply route for a good long while.

But in my current situation? It's just not particularly viable unless I feel like stacking stuff right on the floor under the table. And this place is cluttered enough already.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 16, 2020, 08:27:22 am »

I just hope that our freedom will be restored to its original state when this is over,

Nope. They found an excuse once, they'll keep doing it. Enjoy.
EARN IT act
The US gov is quietly trying to kill end to end encryption
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 16, 2020, 08:34:20 am »

I've got a 18m2 apartment with a single cupboard. I don't really have storage space for a long-lasting stockpile.
Yeah, in that situation it would be absurd. I am renting low-end but spacious place, so I have plenty of space to store various things. And amount of things that I keep is limited.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 16, 2020, 08:58:25 am »

It's been weird here. It's extremely rare that I have hand sanitizer in my stash, and this was no exception. As such, without that or disinfectant wipes, I haven't been able to keep a good barrier going (especially since I, like so many others, didn't think much over taking things particularly seriously until a few days ago). There's only so much washing my hands will do, when I can't exactly put stuff like my phone under the faucet and give it a good scrubbing (closest applicable thing I have to disinfectant is window cleaner, and... Yeah). So if I've come in contact with something that had covid-19 on it, I'm probably already infected.

Handwashing is more important than hand sanitizer
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2020, 09:12:51 am »

I'm aware, but handwashing is considerably less portable/available. When I'm out doing something, I'm going to be touching a lot of things. Paying for necessities means pulling out both my phone and my card (my wallet/cardholder is attached to the phone) after I've been handling products in the store, and then putting them back. I can't keep common items like my keys, phone, card and such semi-clean, because I can't drop everything and wash my hands between uses and things like the phone won't handle being washed very well.

Being able to use hand sanitizer between uses to prevent them getting contaminated, and having some form of easy disinfectant to wipe down the less fluid-tolerant articles would help limit how much I'm spreading things around.

Like, I've got window cleaner and paper towels here at home, but that's about it.  And at this point, I've probably cross-contaminated so many things in my apartment that I don't even know if there's a point trying to clean up what's already here.

I've (hopefully) got enough of a food/meds stash now that I can just isolate myself here for a week or so before needing to go out again, so I can try and make the cleaning articles a bit more accessible for next time, but yeah... So far? I haven't been doing a good job.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 16, 2020, 09:18:16 am »

BS, see also "Pre moistened towelettes"
Easily portable hand-washing.

In my own fun times, I had to go shopping today.  I get paid bi-weekly, so I really have no choice but to buy food for 2 weeks at a time, and felt really self-conscious in the checkout line with my NORMAL GROCERIES, because it LOOKED like I was being a food hoarder.  :(

Other thoughts occur to me, do you think amazon will deliver toilet paper? Looks like they do...
https://www.amazon.com/skyning-Professional-Bathroom-Degradable-Restaurant/dp/B085W4GMDR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=toilet+paper&qid=1584368241&s=beauty&sr=1-1

Might get a papercut, but its better than being trapped in the loo.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 16, 2020, 09:32:47 am »

Slightly worrisome.. Cat food is nearly gone in my supermarket.

I hope they refill it, because hunting and processing hoarders to catfood gives such a mess to clean up.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:09 am »

I hope they refill it, because hunting and processing hoarders to catfood gives such a mess to clean up.
Is meat also gone? Cats can eat meat. Consult to check suitability, some kinds of meat may rarely contain things harmless for humans but deadly for cats.

EDIT: pork is problematic, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorabies - other restriction may apply, consult an expert

EDIT2: Before processing hoarders into cat food consult also lawyer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:55:24 am by mko »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 16, 2020, 10:21:15 am »

Meat is being bought almost as quickly as it is refilled. At least cow meat and chicken are.
Pig meat is selling less fast, but yeah, there's a reason that you can't get catfood made out of pork.
I can't afford buying real meat for my cats though, I live off disabilty pay, which is social minimum.

... A lawyer? What do they know about processing human beings into cat food? I think I'd get better advice at a cat food factory about the process  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:52:47 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 16, 2020, 10:28:06 am »

It's cheap and I like the taste.

Edit: I just noticed the page number, so I'll add something more true and also on-topic. Italy is telling people not to have gang-bangs during Corona virus.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:55:20 am by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 459