Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 474627 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I´m  pretty sure Spain is doing far, far worse than Italy.

Consider, on the 24th of February Italy had 227 cases. 10 days later they had 3000.

On the 4th of March, Spain had 228 cases. 10 days later we have 5700 and counting.

We´re fuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Last week´s political rallies have wrecked us.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I mean. At least they seem to be testing if they have that many confirmed cases? Probably means they're doing better than the US :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Regarding political leaders, that conversation might be better suited to the Euro and other political threads. It's straying from the topic at hand a bit.

Stay safe, wierd. A healthy immune system includes not stressing yourself out about possibly being infected.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

Fact is CCP lied about their death count. Now we're seeing the reality of the virus in non-CCP controlled controls where information dissemination can be more accurate. Itally has already disproven China's falsified CFR. Most bodies will keep stacking up because China wanted to coverup this thing instead of relaying the reality of how severe this virus is.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

You're free to have your opinion, Lidku. Looking at the numbers, they don't seem that different to me. The mortality rate is slightly higher in Italy, but that was also the case early on in Wuhan. Dead people are easier to find and attribute the cause of death to Covid19.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats the point. Italy is at early Wuhan levels right now. Except this time the actually body count will be taken into "account".. Not like what the CCP did where they selective which fatalities to report while cremated the excess cadavers they didn't want to make note of. I really really can't stand the CCP right now and all the blatant lies it has been spitting. Especially now its trying to shift blame on the virus origin. They are criminal.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Especially now its trying to shift blame on the virus origin.

Are you seriously blaming the Chinese for having conspiracy theories? Don´t you remember that three weeks ago we had people in Europe and US spreading bullshit about the virus being a botched bioweapon?  ::)

Face it: someone ate a pangolin, and shit hit the fan. It´s unfortunate, but people eat disgusting things all the world over.

I think China managed the situation fairly well all things considered, and they´re about the only country providing relief and technical support to Europe at the moment (most notably to Italy. Though I hope we get some equipment in Spain as well. Odds are by next week we´ll be *worse* than Italy). That some rando spewed some bullshit about the coronavirus being tailor-made is no worse than the bullshit about the coronavirus being Xi Jinping´s master plan for.... what exactly, cutting CO2 emissions?

One more thing: the way China managed this and is helping to manage this, and the way Trump is managing this on the other side of the Pacific... I think Donald´s trade war with China is unlikely to end up the way he thinks.

In other news: I get the impression that in Spain there is a complete denial on just how badly things are going. Compliance with the self-quarantines is so-so and apparently the media think everything has been solved already because, "unlike the French" (actual quote from the news) we have a hashtag about staying at home.

I´m considering whether it would be better to try to weather the storm here, or attempt to fly to Ireland before external flights get locked down.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:14:14 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

It's easy to conclude that China fudged the numbers on Coronavirus because China's pretty good at fudging numbers (in 2018 only 144 people IN ALL OF CHINA died of flu. 41 in 2017. 56 in 2016)

I mean, Wuhan suffered a healthcare collapse scenario that's now playing out in Italy and the population density is much much greater in China. It's a logical conclusion. How many people died of coronavirus in China? Nobody will ever know. But for now, the blame game does nobody no favors.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

We 100% have bioweapons running around that people think are natural diseases. It's a fact that countries have made bioweapon strains and stockpiled existing strains. It's a fact that lab strains manage to jump containment sometimes, and that it only really needs to happen once. And it's definitely a fact that if a strain did jump containment that the government(s) involved would never admit it. Even opposed countries might not admit it since you'd be opening a political pandora's box, and the world is too interconnected for that kind of disruption to stay contained either.

It's not like you'll ever be able to know the difference between a natural novel strain and a bioweapon. Maybe in 50 years when someone involved in brewing them is on death's door and doesn't give a fuck anymore. Given how covid seems so perfectly formed to slaughter old humans and inflict organ damage on young ones...

Ebolavirus was never described until 1976. Just saying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poland closed now all gatherings above 50 people, so churches are closed. Also, borders are apparently closed.

Testing is still not done at any significant scale, so we have far more cases than reported.
-----

Face it: someone ate a pangolin, and shit hit the fan. It´s unfortunate, but people eat disgusting things all the world over.
In China they do it far more often than in Europe/USA (and we have industrial farm where cows were feed using powdered bone of dead cows and we ended with mad cow disease - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy ).

But yes, China is unusually prone to producing new diseases and eradicating rare species.

I think China managed the situation fairly well all things considered
If you ignore initial coverup.

We 100% have bioweapons running around that people think are natural diseases.
[citation needed] (speculation with someone who is expert in this topic would count)

And speculation "it is likely that" is NOT allowing you to claim to be 100% sure.

And why it would be relevant even if true? This disease is not suitable as bioweapon at all, nearly all characteristics are opposite to what we would have for runaway bioweapon.

And why it is relevant at all? Stop with your conspiracy theories pls.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:40:43 am by mko »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Trump has taken his coronavirus test
And now we wait.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

[citation needed] (speculation with someone who is expert in this topic would count)

And speculation "it is likely that" is NOT allowing you to claim to be 100% sure.

And why it would be relevant even if true? This disease is not suitable as bioweapon at all, nearly all characteristics are opposite to what we would have for runaway bioweapon.

All I am stating is facts and possibilities, and the fact that if it were the case it would take a categorical failure on all levels of government security for there ever to be publicly available evidence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

China definitely lied about their numbers and how many people died in a day in Wuhan. Italy has just reported 175 deaths in one freaking day. In total Italy now has 1,441 deaths. The current total of active non-fatality cases are 21,157 now. Italy won't be able to contain this, unless they do the mass cremation methods China was doing. (which they hid from the world) The CCP cannot be forgiven after this fiasco.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All I am stating is facts and possibilities, and the fact that if it were the case it would take a categorical failure on all levels of government security for there ever to be publicly available evidence.

You stated thing that are not a fact, and were stated as certainty not as a possibility. There is no confirmed or even credibly suspicious case of novel illness caused by bioweapon escaping laboratory and creating a sustained infection.

There were confirmed cases of bioweapon causing issues, but were neither sustained nor novel illnesses. (Soviets managed to do it with anthrax, multiple times).

For all novel illnesses that appeared "reee bioweapon reee" is a bottom tier conspiracy theory with no supporting evidence (as soon as evidence appears I will change my mind, with strength matching strength of evidence - opinion of experts are form of evidence).

Your "All I am stating is facts and possibilities" claim is lie. Your bioweapon claims that are supposedly 100% certain are pure speculation. Stop spreading misinformation.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:36:12 pm by mko »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

To divert talk a bit from blame-shifting...

First: despite the first detected case of covid-19 being two weeks ago in Brazil... we've had a total of 0 deaths. So that's good, and also lets us lefties tell liberals who want to privatize healthcare to shut the fuck up.

Second: The fasicst-president says he totally doesn't have Corona, no siree, and Fox News is full of fake news... except he just went into a 7-day quarantine and is being tested again.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 459