Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 475433 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok good to know, just don't sit near anyone else and you're covered :)

Well, this really takes the cake for conspiracy theories:

https://monitoring.bbc.co.uk/product/c201hmp9

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

What's the course of treatment that early intervention is supposed to help with? Anti-virals? Respirators for people who can't breathe on their own? Just generally having someone to feed and hydrate you while it runs its course?
It's a novel virus, so there's no clear treatment protocol except supportive so the body's immune system can hopefully fight it off.
Doctors are also throwing different drugs at this to see what sticks like different HIV drugs, anti-malarials, new stuff in trial phase.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Fun times: the college-age coworker who called in sick yesterday saying he couldn't breathe through his nose and had chest pains when he coughed said he is coming in to work today.

I pray he was just lying through his teeth because if he's actually sick and trying to come in.....I'm going to be very displeased and tell his ass to go home.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Sure, as long as everyone is kept separated, and aren't sitting inches/centimeters away from each other. It works like smoking and non-smoking areas; those planes will be loaded with the plague for a decade after sick people quit being there.
It means that you're at risk only if the couple persons you may be sitting next to are infectious, or if the person that's been using your seat in the past day or so was. This is about as much risk as you take when using any form of public transportation and many public spaces. The air being recirculated doesn't add to that.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

There's limited research on how respiratory pathogens spread in air flight, but for reference
look up Air China 112 which was during the Sars outbreak

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

What's the course of treatment that early intervention is supposed to help with? Anti-virals? Respirators for people who can't breathe on their own? Just generally having someone to feed and hydrate you while it runs its course?
Early intervention is populational not personal. The idea is to consider hard measures early on to prevent it's spread. Again, the problem is populational. Its unlikely coronavirus will hurt you directly. But it can hurt or kill vulnerable people. And if the hospital is packed with vulnerable people and they can't treat you for, say,  a car accident, you're in as much deep shit as if you were actually having serious trouble with the virus.

That's actually the problem in italy nowadays
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's right, it has about 40 times the hospitalization rate of the flu so far I believe, so they have to slow it down or we crash the entire health system trying to cope.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

That's the major problem. You or me? We'll most likely be fine. But if something happens and the hospitals are saturated by 80y/os on ventilators... you get the picture.

South Korea intervened early and got everything under control without harsh measures. Here rhe goverment didnt dare to stop a mass rally for the 8th of March out of fear of being labelled chauvinist. Meanwhile the alt right staged miniprotests through all the country. Hence why 5 days later our incidence is spiking 🙄

This was so stupid and so avoidable.

Goverment  intervened on monday (one day too late) and said we'll see if the new measures are working in ten days (five now). No shit. Five days for the 8M fuckup to peak, and other five to see if we actually did anything afterwards 🤦🏻‍♂️
Tbh I think that after the first fuckup they are being way too shy. Current measures would have been enough *before* holding rallies in the middle of a pandemic. Now? We'll see
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok good to know, just don't sit near anyone else and you're covered :)

Well, this really takes the cake for conspiracy theories:

https://monitoring.bbc.co.uk/product/c201hmp9

That's both too coherent, and doesn't make enough sense to be a real conspiracy theory.

Sure, as long as everyone is kept separated, and aren't sitting inches/centimeters away from each other. It works like smoking and non-smoking areas; those planes will be loaded with the plague for a decade after sick people quit being there.
It means that you're at risk only if the couple persons you may be sitting next to are infectious, or if the person that's been using your seat in the past day or so was. This is about as much risk as you take when using any form of public transportation and many public spaces. The air being recirculated doesn't add to that.

I haven't flown much in the last 19 years for some reason (the reason is that it's hell), but I remember the air circulation being a nozzle that may or may not work, and if it works, at maximum, will stop about half of your forehead from sweating or freezing, depending on the temperature in the plane. Unless everyone else was also trying to use the air circulation, and everyone got a negligible amount of air. Again, this is the US, so being absolute shit is expected.

Also, the asshole behind you will never stop coughing on you.

And if the hospital is packed with vulnerable people and they can't treat you for, say,  a car accident, you're in as much deep shit as if you were actually having serious trouble with the virus.

Yeah, you're bleeding out at the hospital, but free coronavirus while your family waits is something.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I noticed something interesting: in the Canary islands they only have 46 cases despite having a tremendous population density and a chaotic healthcare system.

Maybe there is something to the theory that warm weather inhibits viral spread?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fuck everything. Our city is talking about handing out money to corporations who made a slightly smaller profit this month because of coronavirus' effect on tourism. Meanwhile, our plan for helping sick people is "go fuck yourself, we don't have the money." That's their normal stance on using public money to benefit the public, but this time is so blatant as to be insulting, and also not enough that anyone will say anything about it.

Edit: I can already imagine what the response would be if anyone suggested some of that money go to employees who lost their jobs so the company could save money.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:43:36 pm by Iduno »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

2020: The year everything was cancelled.
On Day 1, the pope slapped a woman and things went downhill from there

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

This pope sucks, bring back pope classic

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Undead-nazi-pope would be peak 2020.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 459