Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 475438 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I've been having trouble with the fine line between downplaying and avoiding panic. Panic has caused car crashes, fights in supermarkets and probably worse. In the early days here, people were endangering their families and friends due to the fear. Some people ran off to the mountains worried that they had it, and probably died out there to the elements, the flu or perturbed elephants.

That said, I've seen far too many posts on facebook and elsewhere lately that are outright denying the existence of the virus. And honestly I'm not sure which is more harmful at this point, as I'm betting covid19 becomes endemic in the next year or two.

Edit: Chairman slipped in, but I think I agree with him.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I wonder how many pilots are going to lose their flight license, when they can't make enough flight hours because of all the travel restrictions.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I've been having trouble with the fine line between downplaying and avoiding panic. . .

That's more or less where I am too. :/

I've been having trouble with the fine line between downplaying and avoiding panic. Panic has caused car crashes, fights in supermarkets and probably worse. In the early days here, people were endangering their families and friends due to the fear. Some people ran off to the mountains worried that they had it, and probably died out there to the elements, the flu or perturbed elephants.

That said, I've seen far too many posts on facebook and elsewhere lately that are outright denying the existence of the virus. And honestly I'm not sure which is more harmful at this point, as I'm betting covid19 becomes endemic in the next year or two.

Edit: Chairman slipped in, but I think I agree with him.
Yeah, I've been pretty much through the same.

I pretty much lived both situations at home. With my aunt going into panic hoarding on one hand, and a big argument with my mother yesterday because she was reluctant to cancel attendance to the opera for the next few months.

My father seems to be doing half and half, oddly. I'm kind of worried thar he's not taking social distance as far as he potentislly could nut at least he's avoiding gatherings.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:55:09 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

I've been having trouble with the fine line between downplaying and avoiding panic.
My rule of thumb for delineating overreaction/downplaying is in how does one follow the recommendations of the WHO and their local healthcare authority. Ignoring those because what do they know is downplaying. Taking additional precautions because what do they know is overreacting.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poland cancelled all school activities - from elementary to universities. For bonus point - before a flood of detected cases.

Some cancellations are active from today, some from Monday, some unis already cancelled everything cancellable.

Maybe we will manage to flatten the peak.

---

Also, some of events where I was supposed to participate were moved to June.

Taking additional precautions because what do they know is overreacting.
I would say that taking additional reasonable steps is not overreacting. Though it is not too helpful, everyone thinks that they are reasonable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:33:01 am by mko »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

No. It's because there is no more dreadful nor more soul rending state of mind than finding oneself on the loo and realising there's no TP for your bunghole.

Okay So this is a little late but I forgot to write what I thought: it's simply because Americans associate hoarding toilet paper with crisis. It's because of hurricane season and people stocking up on toilet paper for that. So when another stay at home crisis appears people just think they need toilet paper for that too.

And then of course once people starts buying out the stocks then you get a spiral effect where even people who don't want to hamster toilet paper feel they have to run down and buy toilet paper or they won't have any left.
Love, scriver~

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile

I wonder how many pilots are going to lose their flight license, when they can't make enough flight hours because of all the travel restrictions.

Between unpaid leaves and unprecedented industry-wide cuts, I'm sure they have a lot more to be worried about shorter term already. Other than the virus, that is.

Stay informed, stay healthy.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think this is on the "panic" mode of the panic vs complacency debate. The odds are good for Tom Hanks. The odds are good for any individual person. The problem comes when (like in Italy) everything happens at once and the healthcare system becomes saturated.

I don't really think it is. My point to these guys was to save up their sick days and holiday days, because we'll probably all be told not to come in for a month at some point. What we do isn't important enough to have people coming into a disease incubation room (densely packed call center) during a potential outbreak, and that's going to happen here before too long.

Also, key point is that a lot of people who work in call centers seem to smoke, including the first guy who said it's just flu. Articles are saying the death rate if you need to be hospitalized (20% of cases overall) is 14 times higher if you're a smoker.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:49:04 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

https://twitter.com/_jdevos_/status/1237976080490942465

I found this interesting. Early intervention actually cuts down number of cases (&mortality) A LOT. WeŽre probably behind the curve in many cases, but better late than never.

On a regional level: We have 261 infected in the Basque country, 10 fatalities. Main problem is that most of those infected are concentrated in Vitoria (to the south), and there is a shortage of doctors in that hospital due to quarantines (patient 0 was a doctor from that hospital). WeŽll see what happens in the next days
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:09:00 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I think this is on the "panic" mode of the panic vs complacency debate. The odds are good for Tom Hanks. The odds are good for any individual person. The problem comes when (like in Italy) everything happens at once and the healthcare system becomes saturated.

I don't really think it is. My point to these guys was to save up their sick days and holiday days, because we'll probably all be told not to come in for a month at some point.
Oh you sweet summer child. You're both assuming people get those (I don't :V) and assuming they're allowed to save up that much (Just yesterday I read through our personnel policy -- the tl;dr is that workers that do get those things cap out at about half a month, hahaha). Nevermind saving up that many hours would take like a decade or something like that.

Is it different in countries where even the relatively decent workplaces don't aggressively hate their employees (i.e. not the US)?

Last month long crisis we had at my place (michael) we were just put on administrative leave for a few weeks (so paid for normal working hours, but it didn't eat into PTO or sick leave, assuming unlike me you get those). Unfortunately, florida congress fucks are currently in the process of trying to cut state aid to libraries by about 20%, so that might not be on the table this time :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Stay safe and healthy out there, everyone.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

You can't make me.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

THEN PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Almost 3000 cases in Spain. In the Basque country things are stable so far with 261 cases and 10 deaths. Madrid seems to be bursting though

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Stay safe and healthy out there, everyone.

Says the virus guy
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 459