Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 422695 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition
« Reply #6840 on: March 03, 2023, 09:54:47 am »

Day seven! Taste & smell is restored, or 90% thereto. I'm no foodie, but experiencing flavor again was a huge relief. Day five covid test was still positive, it's probably worth another go today to see where I'm at. CDC says I'm okay to go out masked up, but I might hold 'til day ten.

I'm very, very out of clean clothes, but, well, I only have to live with myself about it, hahaha.

I might try pushing it with a jog today to take a measure of the fatigue. Walked a couple blocks on day five and was KO'd by 8:30pm, so I really need to know what my reserves look like in the aftermath. I'm past 'being out of breath from sweeping the floor' thankfully.

Don't catch covid. It sucks. I miss leaving my apartment and I haven't seen my fellow barflies in weeks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: March 04, 2023, 08:20:04 pm »

Still have long COVID: frequent heart palpitations, anxiety attacks, poor appetite, and constant migraines. I think part of it must be caused by our HVAC and mold problems though. My landlady/housemate isn't doing normal routine maintenance, the ceiling has been leaking for a good four months at least, and every time I go inside my bedroom at this point, my head spins. Plus, there's a very weird discrepancy between the temperature upstairs and downstairs.

Sleeping for the first time at a new place today and hoping it will help even though it's an apartment complex like 500 feet from the railroad tracks. I have a doctor appointment on Monday morning to look into prescription migraine meds, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: March 06, 2023, 10:22:53 pm »

Source in swedish, but: A swedish statistics comparison released this week shows that Sweden had the least abnormal/excessive mortality rate in Europe

I by "excessive/abnormal mortality" I mean the mortality rate of those years compared to a baseline for respective country, I couldn't find a proper translation for that term
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: March 07, 2023, 04:50:17 am »

Probably what we (UK, at least) use the rather pithy phrase of "excess deaths" for...

And good for Sweden[1]. I've heard some various comparisons of Sweden with others, good and bad[2], and the law of mathematics suggests that (just as roughly half of all places are probably better than average) there are always at least two superlative datum points - and being the best is often better than being the worst. ;)

[1] One study can so often be flawed/focussing upon the wrong thing, of course, so naturally with all due caution of accepting a forum summary of a web-page (that I haven't tried to read, yet) promoting a single analysis of unknown depth... ;)

[2] e.g. wrt lockdowns/lack of. And I think there was also something on More Or Less[3] about how it was not basically Logan's Run in their carehomes, as other have said. (I'd have to search through and relisten myself, maybe it was another Scandiwegian country?) Anyway, lessons in avoiding cherry-picking.

[3] Don't know if/how those things are geofenced, so giving the World Service page's details (or translate to .com site?). Which I think are also short and snappy single-subject segments, where featured, rather than the whole half hour of the broadcast programme with multiple subjects. So might be easier to scan through for keywords in the titles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6844 on: March 07, 2023, 06:52:57 am »

The geese want you to think the bird flu killed the swans, but in reality the geese killed the swans.
Peace was never an option

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: March 07, 2023, 09:19:29 am »

[1] One study can so often be flawed/focussing upon the wrong thing, of course, so naturally with all due caution of accepting a forum summary of a web-page (that I haven't tried to read, yet) promoting a single analysis of unknown depth... ;)

[2] e.g. wrt lockdowns/lack of. And I think there was also something on More Or Less[3] about how it was not basically Logan's Run in their carehomes, as other have said. (I'd have to search through and relisten myself, maybe it was another Scandiwegian country?) Anyway, lessons in avoiding cherry-picking.

On footnote one: I probably should have mentioned that the source of the source was research done by Swedish Central Statistics Bureau on behalf of the newspaper Svenska Dagbladet, but in my defense, it was 20 past 4 am at the time of writing that.

They actually interview Anders Tegnell, former head guy of the health authorities, in the Sv Dagbladet article (which I haven't read because it was paywalled), probably angling for some juicy "I told you so" comment from the man who got so much shit for the methodology, and in typical Tegnellian fashion he instead replied "well excess death rate isn't the end all be all of measuring the effects of a pandemic".

On footnote 2: I haven't actually seen Logan's Run (I know, shame on me) so while I'm not sure about that part, I can guess that they were probably talking about Sweden. And I can say that while abroad they were probably hyperboling it up and portraying instances as generalities, it is also completely true that it was not good how it went down, so I also don't feel comfortable smoothing it over.
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: March 10, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »

So after three years, it's finally happened. My dad has it, my mom has it, and I probably have it too (not tested yet but I feel like crap). It looks like the whole house is going to be feeling the effects of 'rona for the first time, all at the same time.

What the hell do we do now?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: March 10, 2023, 01:25:54 pm »

Sit it out. Order deliveries to your door if possible. Phone in sick at work. Activate Uber Flu mode.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: March 10, 2023, 02:27:52 pm »

Make sure to touch base with primary care doc or whatever's applicable pretty quick, too. Iirc there's stuff around now that can help a lot in terms of severity and mortality, but you do have to get it and sooner is better.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: March 10, 2023, 02:46:11 pm »

Yeah, my dad got on some sort of treatment, though I don't know what it is. Three pills twice a day IIRC.

A question that has been bugging me: should we continue to isolate from each other? They say misery loves company, and if we're all sick with the same bug is there any reason to not eat meals or spend time together?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: March 10, 2023, 03:14:39 pm »

A question that has been bugging me: should we continue to isolate from each other? They say misery loves company, and if we're all sick with the same bug is there any reason to not eat meals or spend time together?
No. What on earth would that do?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: March 10, 2023, 04:26:37 pm »

Isolation from other infected people is pretty pointless, if anything it will just make things worse because of psychological effects. It's going to be an unpleasant experience even if you get lucky and have a mild case, no reason to make it lonely as well.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: March 10, 2023, 04:41:03 pm »

I guess I was just worried that, say, my dad would get better for a day or two but then catch a mutated strain from me, getting sick again. Then we'd all be trapped in a cycle of sickness as we gave each other new germs.

It didn't make a ton of sense in my mind but I know that Covid mutates quickly and it's perfectly possible to catch it again months later.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: March 10, 2023, 05:05:39 pm »

Not that quickly. The mutation process is unlikely to happen in a single step, enough to immediately coinfect someone with an immune system already ramped up to deal with the near identical original. (And any mutations they would be as likely to self-develop, by the same logic.)

If two people arrived with their own separate strains (or even root diseases) and then foujd themselves isolated together then it might be more trouble, but if you're already convinced that whatever you got has already crossed over in your own home then I think the additional precaution is of insignificant help. Any doubling up of pathogens has probably already happened.

Far more likely that you all got the same thing shared around. Starting with whoever was the initially unlucky one to bring it into the household, perhaps prior to symptoms (which might not have started before another became symptomatic, before you try to second guess that). Further environmental contamination by one person probably won't be enough to increase another's risk, who has already succumbed and busy being their own self-infector as much as anything.

All that said, take care, get well soon and look after each other as best you can. At least there's a handy support group, pre-formed, to work out how to deal with any developing needs. So long as there's no risk to go stir-crazy... ;)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: March 10, 2023, 05:11:12 pm »

Fwiw I was told there's far less covid in hospital here. But I dont actually know to what degree folks are being tested
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459