Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478730 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6255 on: January 07, 2022, 07:21:24 pm »

China has had a handful of Omicron cases, and lockdown areas accordingly. We're coming up on Spring Festival, and I expect there to be a giant spike in cases here, reported or otherwise. Luckily, most places got their boosters last month (though rural communities/foreigners are still waiting, depending on where you are). My wife and I are scrambling to move as quickly as we can, because as soon as the holiday starts (late January), it'll probably be locked down again for a few weeks or more.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: January 07, 2022, 09:08:46 pm »

My kid got a first doze of vero cell vaccine today. Which I think is the "sinopharm". This was after consultation with his pediatrician. Will update if he develops a third arm or can blow up heads with his mind or something after this.

Thankfully no reaction so far beyond a very, very small fever.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: January 07, 2022, 09:44:40 pm »

Vero is what I got (I also am not sure if there's any difference between that and the Sinopharm one). I do know it's mildly effective at preventing infection, but good at preventing hospitalization, which is all that reaply matters out here with a billion and a half people.

Quite mild symptoms both shots. Just real sleepy after the second one. Best of luck to the kiddo.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: January 08, 2022, 05:47:00 am »

I read last week that Cuba actually has decent vaccines, also for children age 2 and above. They apparently had experience, and vaccin companies already present from a previous vaccination campaign. The WHO is looking at them for approval. They have not been approved yet globally though, but they did export to a few countries, including Venezuela.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: January 08, 2022, 07:16:42 am »

I hope their healthcare stays as strong as it is decades after the empire crumbled, just to stick it to the man.
let

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: January 08, 2022, 04:02:06 pm »

Possible infection in my house: my stepdad has been getting fevers and chills, and has been coughing and throwing up(he has issue with his stomach).

He does not know where he could have caught it, assuming he did, other than a scenario where he got it from me with me being unknowingly an asymptomatic carrier. I got the vaccine back in July, no booster. I could have sworn he did too.

Gonna get tested tomorrow. I didn't hear what my stepdad said about getting tested, and my mom is refusing to because she's a Karen.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: January 09, 2022, 10:10:40 am »

We need to revise our current quarantine rules.

Right now, people who have been in less than 1.5m proximity for more than 15 minutes with someone who tested positive for corona, will need to quarantine for 10 days (after 5 days they can end it early if they test negative).

This might seem a wise idea, but the result is turning out to be that we won't have any doctors, nurses, teachers, or anyone else left being able to go to work, because they all have to quarantine, when a co-worker or child in their class or whatever has tested positive for corona.

Sick leave in healthcare is already at 17%, which is becoming unworkable.

KLM already had to cancel 8 return flights because too many staff are in quarantine.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 10:15:06 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: January 09, 2022, 01:48:18 pm »

We need to revise our current quarantine rules.

Right now, people who have been in less than 1.5m proximity for more than 15 minutes with someone who tested positive for corona, will need to quarantine for 10 days (after 5 days they can end it early if they test negative).

This might seem a wise idea, but the result is turning out to be that we won't have any doctors, nurses, teachers, or anyone else left being able to go to work, because they all have to quarantine, when a co-worker or child in their class or whatever has tested positive for corona.

Sick leave in healthcare is already at 17%, which is becoming unworkable.

I would assume that hospital staff are able to receive a test, which allows them to return/continue working?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: January 09, 2022, 03:12:34 pm »

No exceptions.
Besides that would only adress a small part of the cascading problem.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: January 09, 2022, 03:28:33 pm »

I dunno about the Netherlands, but the US has to also factor in the "quit" rate attrition.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/the-mass-exodus-of-americas-health-care-workers/620713/

I desperately need a vacation but cannot take one, because we are at skeleton level of staffing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: January 09, 2022, 03:56:03 pm »

Used an at-home test: negative. Of course, it could be a false negative. Now to see if I can convince my stepdad to take one, though I may have to wait another day or two for that, since it's an antigen test.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: January 09, 2022, 04:57:20 pm »

I dunno about the Netherlands, but the US has to also factor in the "quit" rate attrition.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/the-mass-exodus-of-americas-health-care-workers/620713/

I desperately need a vacation but cannot take one, because we are at skeleton level of staffing.
Yeah same here. A lot of healthcare workers are burned up and leave the profession. I think even 40% of newly graduated nurses leave the profession within 2 years to find something else to do with their lives.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: January 09, 2022, 06:43:22 pm »

It might not be total shake-up of civilisation, but it's not a fine line between "everything gets back to normal" and "nothing is the same ever again". It's a terrible overlap with the worst of both worlds.

I, for one, hope that our medical professionals don't all burn out from the strain (though I know that many will, and a lot already have), but I also have less sympathy than I rightly feel I ought to when it comes to those who would continue but are being 'forced' out due to insufficiently pro-vax attitudes.

(Let's be straight here, if there's someone thinking they can care for people who doesn't care for themselves and everyone they come in contact with, then there's a problem. It might be insufficiently communicated reasons, failing to actually convince rational people. But I think there'll be a fair few  'woo woo'-believers who it is a pity we needed to plump up the numbers beforehand.)

There'll be a mess, and healthcare systems are famously close to the breaking point at the best of times. Aiming for 95% utilisation at the best of times already causes a "winter flu + icy slips and falls" crisis every year around this time of year because of false economies and self-defeating 'targets', over here. Not that ours is the worst healthcare setup, though it is somewhat degraded by all kinds of less than useful policies, both direct and indirect.

So how we get through to the other side, with currently inspired fresh young things having by then completed their medical training and forming the newest cohort of care... Idunno. It's not my department to sort it out, and while I'm cynical enough to expect spanners to be figuratively thrown in the works by all kinds of people I also have to be hopeful enough that the new-normal will end up being better than it could have been, that we will reach... if note the 'promised land', certainly a decent facsimile of it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: January 09, 2022, 07:45:15 pm »

I also have less sympathy than I rightly feel I ought to when it comes to those who would continue but are being 'forced' out due to insufficiently pro-vax attitudes.

?

So how we get through to the other side, with currently inspired fresh young things having by then completed their medical training and forming the newest cohort of care... Idunno.

One thing I find specially funny is this concept of new medical professionals that are young, fresh and inspired. It both assumes that new doctors are bloody stupid, and it seems to assume there´s a magical factory of doctors hidden in medical schools.

Spoiler alert: you need doctors to train doctors. The less doctors you have (ie mass quitting) the less doctors you can train. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: January 09, 2022, 08:17:56 pm »

I also have less sympathy than I rightly feel I ought to when it comes to those who would continue but are being 'forced' out due to insufficiently pro-vax attitudes.

?

I think I have a vague idea of what Starver may be talking about, but I don't want to put words in his mouth, I want Starver to explain it.

I found Starver's post in general to be rather confusingly written and hard to follow this time.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 459