Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478892 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Nu-Omicron EX Plus Alpha Edition
« Reply #6120 on: December 22, 2021, 03:40:14 pm »

Is that how that works?I reckon the immune system would just continue doing 'the stuff' until the vaccinebits are spent. Sure didn't need the inflammation in my noggin...
It is a numbers game for some part. The harder your immune system works with the vaccine, the more memory cells that will form from the white blood cells fighting the battle.

Then again, I suppose you are right in that the numbers are capped by the number of vaccin particles, but I do suspect that part of those will just be excreted by your body without meeting your full immune response.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 03:43:45 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: December 22, 2021, 06:25:18 pm »

I took ... I think a total of three extra-strength tylenols to deal with my booster, to avoid the excruciating pain of shot 2. Spent most of ~32 hours asleep or otherwise lying in bed, then felt fine thereafter.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: December 22, 2021, 11:38:28 pm »

Personally, I would not take medication that suppresses inflammation response of your immune system, even if it is only very slightly, when I get a vaccin that needs to work together with the immune system.

Having your immune system not work at it's full capacity could mean that you also won't get the full benefit of the vaccin.
When I got the booster the pharmacist told me to take some to control symptoms and here's Newsweek reporting that the CDC says the same:

"You can take these medications to relieve post-vaccination side effects if you have no other medical reasons that prevent you from taking these medications normally," the CDC says.

That said, even when actually sick, I'll wait until symptoms get bad enough to warrant intervention. I'm just generally personally adverse to pharmacology, but too high of a fever causes tissue damage and AFIAK the fever doesn't actually help in the antibody training process.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: December 23, 2021, 12:01:04 am »

I'm adverse to pharmacology solutions too, and I wanted to avoid anything that would inhibit immune response.  For my second dose I simply took the day off, and spent it in a mild state of fever with some favorite foods pre-prepared.  It was a mild fever compared to others I've had in recent years.

I'm probably getting my booster tomorrow.  Not lying to get a double dose like my father said, jfc, but just getting a bit updated.

I sorta went off on an anti-vaxer in a forum today.  I'm not a hateful person.  I always want to see the good in my political opponents, their humanity, because I often learn and evolve whether they're right or wrong.

You can't do that with Covid cultists.  I have been bombarded with claims and, when you push back on one - it is replaced with two.  There's nothing there.  They are people, justifiably terrified at the wildness that is our modern life, deciding that malicious villains are doing it to us - and they literally won't be convinced otherwise because they are in a cult.

A cult in all senses.  It rewards good thought, and shatters bad thought with static.

"Oh but listening to the main stream media is the same" yes, actually.  My dad's a fine example.
But research actually is possible, and none of these pro-covid arguments actually stands up to any investigation unless you assume that every virologist is in the pocket of big parentheses or whatever.  Or "the deep state".  Yeah fam, the deep state wants to kill us all off /s

That's literally what these people believe, and by doing so I'm pretty sure that they've killed us all.  I'm feeling a bit doomer lately and it's hard to shake off.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: December 23, 2021, 01:19:50 am »

Yeah, I grew up with a parent who is very against treating anything with pills and more or less constantly calls me a sissy, but shot 2 was bad enough that I wouldn't deliberately put myself through that much pain again for shot 3. I couldn't lift an empty cup or stand having a normal bedsheet draped over my arm, it was that sensitive and painful. I actually put off shot three because some people said it was worse and I was like "LOL, I am not going to be able to handle 'worse' + school. 'Worse' is going to be me in bed crying and unable to move, better treat before it gets that bad."

I felt my first tooth chatter and the meds went down the hatch. Definitely recommend at least having the medication on hand, you need to think about this like something you need to be willing to do every 6 months for as long as it takes. Personally my job is enough "just muscle through it" that I don't want to make the rest of my life any harder than necessary.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: December 23, 2021, 01:25:50 am »

Wow, that's not the response I expected.  Maybe I'm too used to eating bad food or having weird times, because it was really easy to just waking-dream my way through the day after Moderna-2.

I guess I've heard it's rougher on some people, and I'm sorry.

Edit:  I suffer from fevers occasionally and I'm used to them.  It's not easy, but they're a part of life.
When you're trying to trigger an immune response, it's a really good thing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 01:28:12 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: December 23, 2021, 01:34:49 am »

Yeah, I think a lot of people have different responses to it. My parents both had less side symptoms than I did, same with my housemate, I had a friend at school who is ex-military and was in bed for a week, another elderly friend who is ex-military AND a former homicide cop and apparently spent three days in excruciating pain with a very high fever...

Anyway, I didn't think that when they said "joint pain" or "pain at the injection site" they meant that kind of pain from the back of your neck down to your fingertips on the injection arm, but we're learning things now u_u For me the fever was nothing, but I have a friend who was in bed shivering under five blankets at peak summer. Also, for those who menstruate, be aware that it can fuck up your periods so do your research and plan accordingly.

No intention of comparing e-peens, heh. Just trying to say that yes, there are absolutely people who it doesn't bother, like people for whom it is really like any other vaccination, but there are also people who get knocked on their ass for a couple days, so it's a good idea to be ready to take care of yourself because you won't know which camp you're in until it actually happens. The more prepared you are, the more likely it is that it won't be a big deal even if you don't win the side-effect lottery.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: December 23, 2021, 05:37:16 am »

Yeah, my grandparents have basically had no response other than some drowsiness to all three shots... they're generally the same when they have flu shots or whatever. Some folks just don't have a major response to vaccine shots.

I'm also a "generally don't take pills" person (mostly because when I was doing it for eyesight induced headaches as a child, it seemed to actually make things worse over the long run), but like. Fuuuuck that when you're shaking like an overloaded beatbox on full blast. Mild fever symptoms are just whatever, but this wasn't mild :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: December 23, 2021, 08:21:17 am »

It must vary a lot because I got my 1st pfizer shot and felt mild soreness on my arm(like I had been shovelling stuff for too long) then got my 2nd pfizer shot and it hurt even less, still have little idea why people have such different experiences.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: December 23, 2021, 10:03:11 am »

Just pain at the injection site, a numb arm for a smaller amount of time, and drowsiness for me. The third one went away basically instantly.

Must be that my political opinions were already correctly aligned, huh~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: December 23, 2021, 11:19:53 am »

Well, it is dawn of the next day.

Shot 3 produced mild flulike symptoms, with low grade fever. Slight joint irritation, but nothing major.

Slight injection site pain.

Shot 2 put me under harder.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: December 23, 2021, 11:24:33 am »

What is that about the US army developing a single shot against covid?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: December 23, 2021, 11:47:14 am »

Apparently, it's effective against every coronavirus and not just COVID-19 and friends? They're not the only pharma research company working on one, though, apparently there's like a dozen. Could be a real turn in how we fight diseases, if everything takes right. Sorry I don't have links on hand for you here.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: December 23, 2021, 12:57:28 pm »

I'd be highly suspicious of lead poisoning if the army told me 'with just one shot you will never get sick again'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: December 23, 2021, 12:58:45 pm »

Lol
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 459