Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 475640 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2020, 09:20:00 pm »

Man, it turns out your country aggressively fucking up pandemic response to something several times deadlier than the flu makes you meow a bit, who knew :P

Nobody actually knows how deadly this shit is (this is not just me btw, this is the WHO position after you appretiate the nuances). But it doesn´t seem as bad as you´re making it out to be. You´ll be fine.
I mean, I probably will be fine. I'm in my thirties with mild asthma at most. Lot of folks around me are in their 60-70s or older with pre-existing respiratory conditions. Scusey if me being probably okay isn't actually comforting ::)
Most of them will also be OK. Chill. Don´t panic. Wash your hands.

ChairmanPoo is right, I'm going to take advantage of the fools and book one of those 5-star resorts that are super cheap right now.

What a bunch of sheep, am I right?
I´d actually suggest not falling for shallow alarmism but do your thing.

Heeeey I have an idea. I happen to own a countryhouse in an isolated valley near the Pyrenees. Should get a makeover TBH but it´s liveable, and has running water. I could rent it out to you for cheap if you promise to feed my dog. You could bunker there for the end of the world. It´s large and has three storeys so you could conceivably bring along the rest of the bay12 kitten litter with you  :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:23:02 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2020, 09:30:57 pm »

Hey don’t worry, Mike Pence is totally gonna take down the Coronavirus

I happen to own a countryhouse in an isolated valley near the Pyrenees. It´s large and has three storeys
Look at Mr. Moneybags over here  :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:42:17 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2020, 09:36:36 pm »

ChairmanPoo is right, I'm going to take advantage of the fools and book one of those 5-star resorts that are super cheap right now.

What a bunch of sheep, am I right?

Not a bad idea. The safest place is where is reclusive and away from people.

Do people still remember Huanan Seafood Market, the presumed origin of the disease? The whole place was sterilixed and quarantined after the disease broke out. And a few days ago, a family of four were discovered having been living in the emptied market the whole time, for 43 days...

They all have no symptoms and are tested negative. They didn't wear mask or any protective gears because they didn't have. What kept them from the virus was being away from people, since this market is the place in the whole city that absolutely no one wants to step in. Even if there is virus on the floor, they die off if they find no host. And if you never touch face with unwashed hand and always cook the food and water thoroughly, there is little chance that the virus can get to you.

The family are still transferred to quarantine now though.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 09, 2020, 03:25:56 am »

Fuck the media and their fear mongering clickbaits. The latest figures that I know of place our current number of confirmed cases at about 65, so what does the media do? They start "reporting" the number of negative cases like they matter or something, but hey 363 cases related to covid19 (within 10 days since the first case) sells better, who cares if people miss the fact that these cases were negative. Those fuckers even did a breakdown of which areas these negative cases were found. For fucks sake >:( >:( >:( >:(
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 09, 2020, 05:05:02 am »

They were negative, Ulfarr. NEGATIVE MEANS BAD.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2020, 06:37:47 am »

I think in the context he’s referring to, positive means yes, they have Corona and negative means no, they don’t have corona.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2020, 06:40:56 am »

I think delphonso was being sarcastic

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2020, 06:41:31 am »

That was a sarcastic post, sorry if that wasn't clear everyone.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2020, 06:45:47 am »

Commits seppaku again
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2020, 06:46:09 am »

That was a sarcastic post, sorry if that wasn't clear everyone.
i thought it was clear, which is new, I’m not usually the one who detects sarcasm. Detecting sarcasm now means I am learning

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2020, 06:48:09 am »

Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 09, 2020, 07:32:05 am »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 09, 2020, 07:40:54 am »

Seppuku.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2020, 07:42:53 am »

sudoku

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2020, 09:16:51 am »

While it is too early to tell for sure (hence prediction) reports like these leave open the possibility that something is going on.  Sure no guarantee but this is the novel route anyway: what is more prevalent is that reinfection happens either once the antibodies to the current strain of the virus have dissipated - I'm not aware that we have any real knowledge of the time period for covid19 - or when the virus mutates, which they do virulently (pun intended) in general  - darwinian rules willing - but once again I am not aware the we have any real knowledge yet of how prone this particular strain is to mutation just that it is a feature common to viruses.

You haven't taken like, a lot of biology classes, have you?

https://twitter.com/mslopatto/status/1236321363498921985?s=19

Those little shits are apparently smart enough already. Excellent work, children.

At what point does this stop being bungling and clearly become malice, where they're clearly throwing all the little people under the bus in an attempt to kill any news about this until after the elections?

Nope. That's the normal state of the US. She's a worker, and therefore deserves to die, because protecting people from dying costs money.

I guess my question was really this: unless you are preemptively putting people in the ICU when they get COVID-19 versus say influenza, why does it matter if you get tested for it or not*? If you think you have it, can't you self-quarantine?  That is - what did the nurse in that story want to have that she didn't have, that she could have only received with a positive COVID-19 result?

Or is this a manufactured situation where if you will potentially get employment-punished by doing such unless you get the "doctor's note" that you have a positive COVID-19 diagnosis?

*EDIT: excepting perhaps the statistics-gathering and letting other people know aspect.

People are dicks and they'll keep working with the symptoms, because it may not be Covid-19. You have to test. Here, we had a doctor who came back from the USA, had runny nose etc, and then still saw 70 patients. Turns out he had it, but didn't think it was bad enough to stop seeing patients. Now they have to contact all patients of this guy and those patients will have to contact everyone they've been in contact with. So we'll probably have an outbreak here in two weeks, because that guy didn't think being in the USA and getting sick was a reason to self-quarantine or get tested, and he just happened to be a medical professional who sick people trusted and came to.

The thing is, those lockdowns and testing are needed, because you also have unwitting carriers who think "surely it can't happen to me? It's just 'the sniffles' "

You also have the issue of being fired or being held responsible for missing work, even if you have a good reason not to be there. Many employers like to punish employees for being sick, because the employer makes less money when employees are sick. This brilliant plan does cause a lot of other people to get sick, but unfettered capitalism isn't smart.

Like. It can't be overstated at this point. The U.S. is massively fucking up response to covid-19.

Agreed, but also to the possibility of people being sick to begin with.

Edit: Haha, my shitty workplace is advising people to use an alcohol-based sanitizer to kill the virus, because they don't know/don't care about the difference between viruses and bacteria.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:21:51 am by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 459