Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478610 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a covid mask, it's debatable; but as a Anti-Surveillance State tool, it's invaluable!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

First delta variant case detected here.... clever girl!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... though yeah, re: mask, even vaccinated I'll stop wearing one outside my house the moment the plague stops. Not before, y'know?

And the plague is like the exact opposite of stopped, right now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got my first. Pfizer.
huzzah!
No, it's "PFI-ZZAH".

Personal mask news. The home-sewn mask that I've been wearing (and washing!) since just before masks became compulsary must have fallen out of my pocket the other day. I've had backup (commercial) ones also in my pocket for quite a while now (since I was no longer going to be PPE-hogger and potentially depriving medical staff of their own peace-of-mind by joining the panic-buying), but it rather seems to book-end the compulsary mask-wearing times almost neatly.

I am of course falling back on a backup mask. The problem is still with those who won't wear masks where they're potentially useful still. (The comparison between the Pandemic and the Pingdemic is that both are caused by individuals who have caught Covid and then continued to mix. And surely it's obvious which is the worst to be affected by.)

And I am really doubtful about those who use visors (especially the "lower-jaw visor", seems to be all the rage among older women. It's basically slung like an extended lower-jaw, making it like this guy but with more underbite and in plexiglass) because though I know how air can stream around the edges of even a proper mask that isn't at the full extent of an N95 type (the lost mask wasn't perfect, but I at least could fit it to stop the air going straight up to steam my glasses), but visors basically only work as splash-guards, and the jaw-protector ones seem to have only a fraction even of that use.

Now, some people might have legitimate reasons to not be able to wear a mask (or a proper mask, or even a mask properly), but I'd say they are rarer than the number of people who went that route of argument when it was a national policy and much rarer than those who now don't even have that incentive to stick to best-practice. But many people are as many people are, so my mask now has to protect against the multitude that aren't themselves protecting themselves, rather than merely acting as a final line of defence/being my personal contribution to the group's first line of defence.

But them's the times we're living in. Still a case of "see you on the other side!", I suppose.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The visors always struck me as a bridge too far. Yeah, someone breathing water drops at you as they talk is a problem. And the visor will catch that. But the rest of the air in the room...ya know....goes.....right around that visor. Visor + mask? Better. But you know there's still your eyes to worry about.

The half visor is just pure vanity.

Every person has to decide to what level they're going to take their personal protection. But if you follow that train of thought to its logical conclusion, the answer is they should probably just still be quarantining. As soon as you go out in less than a Hazmat suit, you're running into all the same eventual failure points.

So people wearing a visor but no mask is just like.....wow, you probably paid too much for that and it's still not actually protecting you.

Kinda makes you realize that if Covid were instead, like, a hemorrhagic fever, you can bet your ass people would have learned and adhered a lot quicker to way stricter protocols. Dead is dead, but a lot of people are incapable of seeing that from where they're standing because people getting sick with Covid ins't that dramatic until they're well out of sight and mind.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Yeah those were my instincts with the shiny sunglass-thing which I think counts as a visor.  Definitely continuing to wear my cloth under it, might as well really.

I forgot about the angle of protecting my eyes from droplets though!  That's a nice bonus, on top of capturing my own droplets and the personal reassurance I get from hiding my face.  I still need to test out my voice though.  I tend to pull my cloth down for drive-through intercoms already (though obviously not the cashier).

It's kinda funny (and not ha-ha funny) realizing how many shoppers are going maskless nowadays.  Particularly when they move too close to me.  You'd think months of maskwearing would *encourage* my to make eye contact more, but I think I fell back into my instincts of looking down instead.  So I didn't notice how many bare faces are around.  Not that I'm shopping much, and most people are pretty good about distancing, but... yeah I shouldn't worry so much about weirding them out with my eye-protecting visor.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I made the observation, last year, that early-adopter wearers of masks tended to most breach the social-distancing suggestions that were put in place at the supermarkets (including walking the wrong way up one-way aisles, which I went out of my way to walk correctly... Not yet been back to the supermarket that forced that idea on only-those-who-botheres, and stuck to the ones where it was general sense only for aisle-traversal choices i.e. go down the handiest one with least others in already).

I'm wondering if early-disadopters are the same sort of people.

(As a glasses-wearer, I already am used, perhaps disproportionately so, to having everyday eye protection as a norm. Obviously I still would need (additional, compatible) eye protection if I were grinding metal and specs do not fully close off droplet splashes either, but it does most of the work of a fuller-face visor in that regard.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Masks are mandated again here in Los Angeles county, even for the vaccinated. Only some stores actually enforce it, and (IIRC) the sheriff's office said they aren't going to make them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So far the only side effects I'm feeling are very mild headache and fatigue. And that might just even be a normal headache/fatigue for me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I only had injection site soreness with the first Pfizer. It was the second one when my immune system recognized it as something to fight that I woke up feverish that night. That lasted ~24 hours and was easily managed with OTC anti-inflammatories.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Is there a way to get the pfizer or some good vaccine over email or something? Hahaha... russian and chinese shoots are low here.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Had my 2nd Pfizer today. 10h later, so far so good, just a slightly sore spot where the needle went in.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Son of the Mask edition
« Reply #5697 on: August 04, 2021, 10:52:06 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:17:31 am by dragdeler »
let

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: August 04, 2021, 11:23:54 am »

I think it's all baseless speculation about if/when/how/which vaccine has side effects, as people within the same house with the same exposures have reacted differently on the first/second/only shot, or reacted not at all. It's about as random as severe cases of COVID are.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: August 04, 2021, 12:16:12 pm »

I've had no reason to believe I ever caught The Real Thing™, if I did it was subtle and asymptomatic enough (possibly very early on, or during 2020s hayfever seasons?) to not give me any reason to book a test[1] but (as reported) I had it much worse in the first than the second jab.

But my anecdote is just as anecdotal as any other individual anecdote, and I'm certainly not aware of sufficient uncontested and uncountered studies that have been able to take the wider view. Possibly there are, but they're 'suppressed' as either being too boringly null-result or just don't say enough to get anyone excited enough outside the field.

[1] I always wanted the "have you had it?" one, to establish my history, so long as it seemed unnecessary (by symptoms or proven contact) to waste a "do you have it?" type. I'm not sure if vaccination has made that a far more useless proposition, without the highly sensitive ones that probably are[n't*] cheap but can distinguish between what prompt the existence of particular antigens...

* edited to correct!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:27:00 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 459