Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478699 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Fauci's emails reveal that it was indeed him who invented the virus to sell masks.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

He built in in a cave! With a box of protein spikes!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: obXKCD (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Welp. Coworker's caught the plague. Not particularly worried on a personal level, yet (vaccinated, no symptoms, been around the person some but not a lot, etc.), but... yeah. Sounds right now like we'll probably be closing down for a couple weeks.

e: yup, quarantine order came in earlier today. Don't leave home until next week+ tested or 2 weeks+no symptoms, whichever. Time to shelter in place for a while~
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:58:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Be well Frumple. Fingers crossed. Not much to say, except you didn't see a funny guy in a hat recently, did you?)

As 'nobody' expected (except pretty much almost everyone not in denial), the English lockdown phase supposed to last only until June 21st might well continue for another month as the third wave/delta-strain[1] rumbles across the land. (The other nations were already being more cautious, though.)

For the most part, apart from "Wear masks, keep your distance", though, I personally have difficulty seeing any difference between what is happening right now with people (local people, at least[2]) and 'normality'. Parklands are full of people enjoying the sun, the supermarkets are being shopped at incessently. Walking home from the supermarket, yesterday, the roads I had to cross (before the parklands before the (thankfully quiet) woodlands leading to the shortcut path to my home) at traditional commuter-time looked pretty much as busy as they might have done prior to 2020's drive to stop people uneccessarily driving around.

I mean, I haven't had any great compulsion to see a film, so I've no idea whether that's even possible yet. I've had exactly one visit to a Subway in the last year (compared to at least once a week prior to early last year). An upcoming sporting event due at the end of June has already been postponed, to join another couple of such from (nominally) earlier this year, though other examples did go ahead with appropriate cautions; I'm most interested in whether another one (not in my area) ends up happening in July, but that's a bit later along - and I'll be doubly-vaccinated myself by then, plus sufficient buffer-time to attain full effectiveness.

Today, I'm walking about nine miles to visit my mutual-bubble and get some exercise in, both. With the exception of the last stretch, mostly off the tourist-trails, but I'll be passing a garden centre, and its carpark is sure to be full, based on every other such weekend since (at least) April. Any prior year, I'd have popped in at some point to look for a birthday present, but I'm not keen on joining that crowd (even if mostly more-senior-than-me and thus already greater proofed against catching/giving anything than myself). That's just me, though.

[1] I'm half expecting we'll get an actual Omega Strain at some point.

[2] I wouldn't know if visitors are being discouraged (hurting the local tourist-centric industries) or bolstered (by those who who have 'rediscovered' holidays that aren't abroad), or both of these in the worst possible combination.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Plague test came back negative, at least! It's somethin'.

... not enough to completely nix worry 'cause I still remember the false negative rate being non-zero, but between that and vaccine and no symptoms, already fairly low worry is lower. Here's hoping the coworker survives, I guess...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just got my first shot of Pfizer. Sitting and waiting to see if I’ll have any adverse reactions before I leave the vaccination site. Last person in the household to get, since everyone else either works for the SNHS or has co-morbidity stuff that bumped up their priority.

Oh, and there was some prick with an American accent singing about governments not being trustworthy and COVID not being real down the street. Odd thing to see in Scotland.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Just got my first shot of Pfizer. Sitting and waiting to see if I’ll have any adverse reactions before I leave the vaccination site. Last person in the household to get, since everyone else either works for the SNHS or has co-morbidity stuff that bumped up their priority.

Oh, and there was some prick with an American accent singing about governments not being trustworthy and COVID not being real down the street. Odd thing to see in Scotland.

FWIW that prick is probably jobless, homeless and stuck there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just got my first shot of Pfizer. Sitting and waiting to see if I’ll have any adverse reactions before I leave the vaccination site.
For me (AZ/Oxford) I had no "sitting down and waiting" issues crop up. Actually, I left the jab centre with a spring in my step, stopped to sit in a doorway a little way down the road to sing conspiracy theories about the government in an American accent use the shade from bright sunlight to read my tablet, and very soon one of the covid marshalls/staffers from the carpark entry wandered along to me just to see if I was Ok. (I was. I thanked him.)

It was about six hours later - when I was home - that I started to feel suddenly in the worst (or certainly the most abrupt onset, with no gradual succumbing) fever that I remember ever having, as near as I can compare. Almost as if somebody injected a concentration of virus directly into me, or something!

Not that I think this is typical, and you're on a different thing, and all the other variables, so I'm not sure it'll mean much to your situation. In fact, it should make you feel better about getting away with the sore arm. ;)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea, if you are gonna feel something, it'll be hours later or the next day.  Symptom mileage may vary and the differences in mileage relating to Covid19 is vast.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been about five hours now, and I'm not noticing anything yet. I think my brother got a bit feverish the day after he got his first shot, so I'll probably have an unpleasant time tomorrow.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I vastly overestimated how bad I would feel, took an entire day off preemptively. Honestly felt fine the next day.

But you can't really predict how it's going to hit you.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:19:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

My first dose was a big nothing, but the second dose let me see beyond the veil of human ignorance and shatter the skies, by which I mean I slept about 3/4ths of the day.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Coming up on 24 hours now, area around the injection is sore and a little swollen, which is presumably my immune system's response, but that seems to be it. Feeling a bit tired, but that's probably just my normal baseline rather than the vaccine.

Don't think I ever mentioned it here, but my brother recently got a job with the SNHS in a new internal COVID testing lab for one of the hospitals in one of our nearby cities. Mostly doing rapid testing on emergency admissions and existing patients who need moved around within the hospital, pretty low rate of positives from what he's said but I'm happy the hospital is taking things seriously when it comes to internal transfers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

My first dose was a big nothing, but the second dose let me see beyond the veil of human ignorance and shatter the skies, by which I mean I slept about 3/4ths of the day.

Turns out the while covid thing was just Microsoft-guy's secret plot to turn us all into catgirls
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 459