Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478418 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Big Pharma Shenanigans Edition
« Reply #5460 on: April 20, 2021, 05:32:29 pm »

Tinder/Sputnik: "You may feel a little prick."

My vaccine's at recommended full efficacy tomorrow- I'm still not exactly sure how to comfortably exercise this liberty, even though I've got a pretty good idea for how to do it safely.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: April 21, 2021, 10:01:39 am »

For reference, I woke up very muzzy this morning. Hadn't felt anything untoward for several hours after the jab.

Perhaps by eight hours after I received it I'd only felt a crick in the neck (could have been just twisting my head between monitors I was working on, in isolation, but of course I was primed to notice it). By 12 hours after, though, I could feel a 'heavy cold' coming on in all my joints (nothing respiratory, which makes sense if it was intramuscular infection, not breathed in) and it was a super-rapid onset of fluish reactions that I'm not used to.

Overnight I 'nested' in my duvet, in bed, done up a lot like a mummy, and it felt like I had a temperature - but that could just have been how I wrapped myself up. This morning I had less pronounced aches (pronounced /eɪks/!) but the injection site was now notably sore and for a few hours I was not inclined to rush around the house to get done things that needed doing, like having a hangover.

The injection site is still sore, my head is still a little bit mergh (but far better than it was) and I may still have a slight temperature (I don't have any objective way to measure this, just putting my hand to my forehead). I'm consoling myself that ultimately it's doing me good, but dissapointed it couldn't have done it with less of the sudden onset of symptoms. The luck of the draw, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: April 21, 2021, 11:26:57 am »

My shoulder still hurts a bit over 24 hours after the shot but is fading.

But man I am not looking forward to shot #2. I have a feeling it's going to be a doozy for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: April 21, 2021, 04:47:38 pm »

The second shot of my Moderna jab gave me pretty strong flu-like symptoms, including fever, for 2 days.

Be prepared.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: April 22, 2021, 12:37:54 am »

I had the second moderna shot about a month ago and felt fine besides arm soreness (a tad worse than the first shot), the following night is when really mild chills started, but by the next morning I was pretty much fine. Also felt like my anxiety was slightly more through the roof than normal in the days around getting the shot but as far as I know it was Just In My Head™
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: April 22, 2021, 01:27:41 pm »

I've heard your reaction to shot #2 may be based on whether or not you had covid previously. Almost assuredly I had it in December 2019. Those who've had covid and get the vaccine, apparently their body responds much more aggressively to it.

Wonder if I can reschedule shot #2 to a Friday....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: April 22, 2021, 01:52:21 pm »

Probably not. I almost certainly did not have covid yet strongly reacted. And tbh I've not heard that touted as a theory.

Really frequent reactions too, unlikely that everyone involved had covid.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: April 22, 2021, 04:32:42 pm »

The way I was secluding, if I'd managed to get covid, then we'd all be super turbo turkey fucked with how contagious it'd have to be. JnJ still knocked me on my ass.

You prolly owe yourself a little self-care following the vaccine if you can afford the time.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: April 22, 2021, 08:54:15 pm »

For my part, I never have had an inkling of whether I might have caught the thing. No known contacts; no symptoms; a low level (typical of me) of rubbing shoulders with strangers and not-so-strangers alike; crucially, this also applies to the sole person I have Bubbled with, reducing the chance of it being an utterly Silent Surprise.

I never asked for an antigen test (i.e. "am I currently infected") because it was never a topical issue. Even when the lateral-flow things started to be for 'anyone who wanted one' rather than in the prior (increasingly expanded) ring-fence of greatest need vs. supply. I would have considered an antibody test ("have I previously been infected") if offered, just to get a reasonable (within accuracy limitations) idea of if I might have been exposed.

Too late to do the latter now, probably, except to validate the vaccination. Possibly with the right kind of sensitivity/discernment it could pick out a slightly different spike-detection from the one I'm innoculated against, but that's not going to be a "two blue lines" test.

Right now, then, I'm choosing to believe the 'hit' I got was just from dealing with the sudden ChAdOx1 intrusion, not an unknowing prior familiarity with the added nCoV-19 'spikes'. We'll have to see what happens in July when my body, definitely primed by then, gets another bash at another dose flushed into it. (Assuming I don't get recruited to trial dissimilar-jabs, though that's not likely.)

And "what I feel like" isn't necessarily "how well my body deals with it". It might well be the inverse, in fact.

(https://xkcd.com/2443/)

BTW: The delayed-sore arm is still very sore, but I've lost (or gotten used to?) almost all the flu-like aches and temperature issues.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: April 22, 2021, 11:04:10 pm »

Probably not. I almost certainly did not have covid yet strongly reacted. And tbh I've not heard that touted as a theory.

I've only heard it with respect to the blood clotting reaction.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: April 25, 2021, 02:55:04 pm »

The new variant in India appears to be extremely virulent. Today saw another 350K new infections, and nearly 3000 deaths. The EU countries and the US are all sending emergency aid to India, including rescources to produce vaccins.
My country finally decided to block air traffic from India.

Indian families are desperatly travelling from hospital to hospital with their sick family members, in the hopes of finding one that still has spare oxygen. Often in vain. Many people die outside the hospitals' entrances.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 02:58:05 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: April 25, 2021, 11:48:54 pm »

That's probably not the result of the new variant. India had an incredibly bad response to the virus -to the point where it has been obvious for some time that they're either covering up most of it or genuinely don't have a clue how bad it is - and has thus seen spread on a horrendous scale - the official numbers are worse than any other nation by an huge amount, and leaks suggest that those numbers are an order of magnitude or more low. That would suggest that the official number of 21 million cases is really in excess of two hundred million. So we're looking at a cascade failure of the system, very similar to what some countries (such as Italy) experienced last year when this whole thing got started. India's just on such a large scale that it is so much worse.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: April 26, 2021, 07:28:46 am »

European commission is sueing AstraZeneca for supplying less vaccines than agreed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: April 26, 2021, 08:42:19 am »

Oh, what's that? A reasonable reaction rather than panicked blame-shifting? From the EU?! Impeussibleau
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: April 26, 2021, 11:16:41 am »

I'm sure the vaccines are simply in the mail
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 459