Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478253 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Big Pharma Shenanigans Edition
« Reply #5370 on: April 01, 2021, 07:25:39 pm »

Wuhan Lab or Fort Detrick - can't we have both?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: April 02, 2021, 04:01:12 am »

ICU capacity is dropping in our country, as more and more doctors are calling in sick with burn-outs and other stress related afflictions.
Where the normal average sick leave is around 4-5%, it is now at 15%
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: April 02, 2021, 04:05:19 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:15:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: April 02, 2021, 07:20:15 am »

I'm assuming that'd be with a standard bubble of four... four... four... four!!!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: April 02, 2021, 08:03:19 am »

Restaurants have also had difficulty finding staff, which is a surprise. It's not consistent work (schedules usually change weekly), the pay is bad, and it's customer-facing which can be unpleasant when they aren't giving you the plague.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: April 02, 2021, 02:25:46 pm »

My country stopped vaccinating people under the age of 60 with AstraZeneca again, now 5 cases of the rare blood platelet and trombose side effect have come up in our own country. One of them died.
Germany already stopped using AstraZeneca again last week.

The side effect seems to happen more in women of younger age. It is still deemed safe for use over age 60.
The side effect usually occurs between 7 and 10 days after vaccination.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 02:27:44 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: April 02, 2021, 07:12:55 pm »

Seven deaths, of 30 cases, across the 18 million UK AZ vaccinations, apparently.

For 'contrast', 2 CVSTs, not sure if either were deaths, out of 10 million Pfizers. Which puts the former firmly in 'coincidental blip' territory. Even if you imagine a convenient degree of under-reporting.

For real contrast, Coronavirus death-risk is at a magnitude of thousands (up to tens of thousands, as you get older) more likely if you catch it, un-primed.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: April 03, 2021, 06:44:05 am »

I understand what your point is, but opeds are a kind of article.
Love, scriver~

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: April 03, 2021, 07:07:06 am »

"Article" implies fact checking and that columnist has been pushing the lab angle without any facts since the beginning.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: April 03, 2021, 07:27:07 am »

Spoiler: Article (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: April 03, 2021, 07:35:30 am »

No, every piece of writing in a paper is an article, the editorials, the news reports, even the book reviews. An article means "smaller part within the whole".

Like I said, I fully understand your point about it being an opinion piece. But you're using the language wrong.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: April 03, 2021, 08:44:36 am »

Like I said, I fully understand you're point about it being an opinion piece. But your using the language wrong.
FTFY

;)

(Because my intended "smaller part within the whole" pun, with part reference to the frilly jockstrap picture, just didn't cut the mustard. But now I've got that out of my system (*fnar fnar*), we can now return you to your regularly scheduled disagreements.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: April 03, 2021, 07:45:36 pm »

Regardless of what you want to call it, there are links in it. There's circumstantial evidence pointing to the possibility. The theory is not as discredited as everyone in the news was pretending for the last year. It's more, "We didn't find any evidence after not being allowed to look." Everybody was saying it started in the wet market, until eventually even the Chinese government disowned that theory.

The Chinese scientists told officials they didn't have anything matching COVID in their labs, and everybody just took their word for it. What do you think would happen to them if they said they did, considering what happened to Li Wenliang and others who tried to sound the alarm about COVID existing in the first place?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:51:23 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: April 03, 2021, 11:59:19 pm »

The punishment of the whistleblower is not conducive to a functioning outbreak response and is worthy of condemnation.

It might have been an outbreak from a lab. I don't know because I'm not a virologist with the tools and experience to distinguish lab cultures from wild cultures. From what I read in the early days of the pandemic, virologists said they hadn't seen any markers of a lab strain but that it wasn't enough to conjecture with 100% reliability. That's the people with expertise saying that. My own assumption is that it came from wild animals.

One thing to remember is that there is a very vocal anti-China political push in the US and likely other Western countries. While in many ways this is warranted disagreement from a capitalistic democratic bloc, I do feel that is is being pushed by political and industry elites who would benefit financially from a new Cold War as wars in Afghanistan and the Middle East seem to have routes to winding down forming. I say this at least partially because of the way Pompeo acted.

I think this rhetoric may be a cause for the sudden change in tactics by the Chinese government and has hastened a policy change towards more pressure outwards. For example, China has moored a 200 ship "fishing fleet" within waters internationally recognized as within 200 nautical miles of the coast of the Phillipines. When you look at the map of islands being built, it reads as a line of fortification around the South China Sea that can be fortified to keep a hostile navy farther away.

I do believe the Chinese leadership is doing wrong with the Uighur camps, the civil unrest their policies are causing in Hong Kong, and now blocking the UN from doing much as a body in Myanmar. Unfortunately the US's leadership of the past 4 years particularly, though previous presidents also did, has made it very difficult to take the moral high ground on these issues without some hypocrisy involved.

I would encourage attempts to hold China's leadership accountable for such things, but I also worry that a Cold War is being pushed between the super powers when such is not necessary. The way I look at it is that barring the US economy taking off like a rocket (which may happen to some extent with the influx of money to the less wealthy, though necessary pandemic restrictions will hinder it's start imo though it's preferable to a million dead imo) or policy encouraging a baby boom/allowing more migrants to start families in the US, the Chinese government simply have the human capital to emerge the strongest economy eventually. However  should that happen,the US and Western societies will not "lose" either, as parts of it's culture and ideasare being slowly spread through internet, entertainment, and other forms of projecting culture. This is sort of the mirror of "Melting Pot America", in that culture and ideas are adapted and spread when it's sensible to those exposed to it. Ideas last far longer than weapons.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:04:23 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 459