Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478047 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Big Pharma Shenanigans Edition
« Reply #5280 on: March 04, 2021, 09:57:23 pm »

Meanwhile in Brasil, Bolsonaro had some kind words for his subjects..
"We need to face and adress our problems. Stop whining. How long do you want to keep whining about your dead? Now there are some idiots that say we need to buy vaccins. Fuck your mother! There are no vaccins for sale in the world."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:06:01 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: March 05, 2021, 04:50:31 am »

Good to know Brazil has such a compassionate and caring man at the helm.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: March 05, 2021, 02:49:04 pm »

Just remind them, when they have 30% of their population suffering from systemic lung health problems for decades later, with profound numbers of people needing extensive medical assistance to live "normal" lives, that they don't get to ask for federal aid until they come clean and fix their shit, because of how much of bitch fit and virtue signalling shitshow they put on about being "Hard working" and "Not needing any aid!" while they gleefully discarded their masks, and that the end consequences for that set of choices coming home to roost with compound interest later, is not our responsibility, but theirs, and that in return for that aid they will need later, they **WILL** improve their healthcare, **WILL** improve their infrastructure, and **WILL** improve their social infrastructure for people with disabilities, before they can be eligible for it.

Problem is, you have 2 different groups of people you're conflating. Politicians have been enacting these laws, and the citizens are the only ones who are punished.

IF you believe the democratic process is working (throws salt over shoulder), then the politicians are representative of the will of the people, who would be suffering the brunt of the consequences of the people they elected.

The kind of separation you imply, implies a systemic breakdown in democratic representation.

*Gestures at everything*

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: March 05, 2021, 05:41:51 pm »

IF you believe the democratic process is working (throws salt over shoulder), then the politicians are representative of the will of the people, who would be suffering the brunt of the consequences of the people they elected.

The kind of separation you imply, implies a systemic breakdown in democratic representation.

*Gestures at everything*
I volunteer for the eulogy on democracy's funeral.
"Goodbye darling. Even when we could, we didn't quite manage to manifest what it was that we wanted."
In a time before time, I had a name.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: March 06, 2021, 08:18:08 am »

Today, two people were arrested in my home town for inciting to 'burn down the corona test location' on social media.

They weren't even stupid teenagers that don't know what they are saying, nope, 57 years and 37 years old.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: March 06, 2021, 09:09:13 am »

Two people out of four confirmed with the brazilian strain in Caracas died. Comrade general Maduro is declaring total lockdown, which again doesn't mean anything, but in theory it means no more 7x7 (a week of "regular" work and 7 days of total lock down with exceptions of food and health business) but total lockdown all the time.

Most people still works but with the stores front closed and people coming in on the side/back doors.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: March 06, 2021, 09:30:22 am »

We've got some 'self-informed lawyers' (mis)using Magna Carta over here, among other things.

(What annoys me most is the total inability to proof-read the 'notice', which is not only legally invalid but pains me with its errors.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: March 07, 2021, 12:38:17 am »

Just read that fully 1/3 of Americans have lost someone to the pandemic ...

My family didn't lose anyone to the 1918 pandemic and we're not likely to lose anyone to this one either, but, this is, this situation is just sad. Just sad.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: March 07, 2021, 05:38:49 am »

Bet it includes suicides and indirect deaths too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: March 07, 2021, 07:23:38 am »

"How One Firm Put an ‘Extraordinary Burden’ on the U.S.’s Troubled Stockpile":

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/us/emergent-biosolutions-anthrax-coronavirus.html

It always amazes me when an entity whether government, corporate, or a little of both responds to news that they've been doing wrong with demands for more money.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: March 07, 2021, 09:48:28 am »

Bet it includes suicides and indirect deaths too.
Probably not? Half a million dead people is a lot of friends and family, even in a population of three hundred million. Human connections being what they are, you probably don't need to draw from indirect deaths to get a third of the country losing someone fairly close to them.

Managed to avoid it so far, personally, but more than one of my (less than two dozen) co-workers haven't, so, y'know.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: March 07, 2021, 10:22:47 am »

Oh, I interpreted losing someone meaning strictly relatively close family. By your concept you could say over 50% of Venezuelans have lost someone to this shit.

Maybe more, but that migth be true for most countries at this point.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:15:57 am by LordBaal »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: March 07, 2021, 03:35:19 pm »

Probably not bad odds of it, sure. It's a bloody global scale plague that's like a half dozen flu seasons stacked on top of each other. Lot of people have died in a lot of places :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: March 10, 2021, 10:10:31 pm »

So the Western nations (US, Britain, Switzerland, EU members) have insisted on the priority of patent profits over global health at the WTO by blocking a move to waive TRIPS for covid vaccines, which would enable the production of generic versions. It is thought that poor nations are unlikely to have more than 10% of their population vaccinated by the end of the year while richer nations will be sitting on an oversupply of vaccines.  Memories of the AIDS epidemic in Africa much?  Chances are maintaining an extensive reservoir for the production of mutations will come back to bite the populations of richer nations in the arse but also give more chance for obscene profits by big pharma.  (So much for von der Leyen's purported "universal, common good" vaccines.)  Who would of thunk?  :P 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:20:38 pm by feelotraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 459