Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 475770 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #525 on: March 06, 2020, 04:53:25 pm »

The rich are currently working on solving the virus risk. There has been a marked uptake of private charter jet flight, and they're walling off their Hampton's mansions and rural getaways as fortresses against all you plebs. Can't get the virus if you never interact with poor people.

Right now they're only wanting to interact with people guranteed to not have the virus, but at some point in the epidemic the quarantine logic would reverse. You'll want to be surrounded by people who've already had the virus.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 06, 2020, 07:31:05 pm »

Pretty sure it's not gonna be like that

[snip] but at some point in the epidemic the quarantine logic would reverse. You'll want to be surrounded by people who've already had the virus.

All indications are that it can be contracted multiple times and the prediction is it will be with us recurring like the common flu.  (Remarkable cure or vaccine discovery aside, but that seems like a long shot at this point.)

Personally I'm anticipating getting it many times over the next few decades, assuming of course it doesn't kill me first.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 06, 2020, 07:40:29 pm »

All indications are that it can be contracted multiple times and the prediction is it will be with us recurring like the common flu.  (Remarkable cure or vaccine discovery aside, but that seems like a long shot at this point.)

Personally I'm anticipating getting it many times over the next few decades, assuming of course it doesn't kill me first.
🤦🏻‍♂️
No, "all indications" are not that it can be contracted multiple times, and it's not clear whether it will be recurrent or not. There is simply not enough information to make such blanket statements
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 06, 2020, 08:00:08 pm »

Today's PVP comic has some amusing countermeasure ideas.  While it may be hard to tell depending on one's sources of information, these are jokes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 06, 2020, 09:01:45 pm »

🤦🏻‍♂️
No, "all indications" are not that it can be contracted multiple times, and it's not clear whether it will be recurrent or not. There is simply not enough information to make such blanket statements

I think a virus would have to mutate in a particular way or be powerful enough to overcome your immune system for your immune system not to fight it off.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 06, 2020, 09:05:31 pm »

Oh hey, at least two confirmed cases for AIPAC attendees. Other notables to that event includes like 2/3rds of the U.S. Congress :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 06, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »

Oh hey, at least two confirmed cases for AIPAC attendees. Other notables to that event includes like 2/3rds of the U.S. Congress :V
bernie's last laugh
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 06, 2020, 09:29:15 pm »

🤦🏻‍♂️

A few links for you (from a month to a week ago).  Where is your evidence that reinfection doesn't happen?  Sure it is not 'proven' yet but I think that there are enough reported cases that it warrants drawing this conclusion.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2?op=1&r=US&IR=T
https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistleblower-doctors-say-coronavirus-reinfection-even-deadlier/
https://www.zmescience.com/science/a-startling-number-of-coronavirus-patients-get-reinfected/

Remember this is within weeks or perhaps at the outside months after initial infection, and not anything like a year or two. 

What makes you think the disease is just going to go away of its own accord?  Oh, that's right, the fart hypothesis...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 06, 2020, 09:46:35 pm »

🤦🏻‍♂️

A few links for you (from a month to a week ago).  Where is your evidence that reinfection doesn't happen?  Sure it is not 'proven' yet but I think that there are enough reported cases that it warrants drawing this conclusion.

The burden of proof is on you. And a couple of anecdotes don´t work as proof. Quit fearmongering. Quit spreading misinformation.  And do your homework on what you just posted. If you had, you´d have realized why making such a blanket statement basing yourself on such flimsy information is a mistake.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 06, 2020, 10:04:21 pm »

You'd have thunk I would say something like "Pretty sure it's not gonna be like that" to show that I was expressing my opinion - oh wait I did. :)

There was also this lovely qualifier "(Remarkable cure or vaccine discovery aside, but that seems like a long shot at this point.)"

I don't need to 'prove' anything, I was making a prediction, and I'm hardly the first - indeed it was a counter-prediction to Reelya's implied one. As if anyone knows exactly how future will turn out.  A couple of quick links, I'm sure you can find better if you want to educate yourself about the issue  rather than persistently engage in ad hoc attacks.  Misinformation indeed!

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/04/two-scenarios-if-new-coronavirus-isnt-contained/
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wuhan-coronavirus-mild-pandemic-how-it-could-end-2020-2?op=1&r=US&IR=T

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 06, 2020, 10:15:41 pm »

You were NOT making a prediction. You said that "all indications are" that it's like that, when you're actually just making a wild guess basing yourself on a handful of oddball cases out of thousands, about whose meaning there is no scientific consensus, not even about whether they mean anything at all

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 06, 2020, 10:20:38 pm »

You so funny. If I say 'all indications are that it is going to rain' it means that I think it will rain.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 06, 2020, 10:47:41 pm »

I'm not sure those are examples of re-infection. As the first article points out, the tests are flawed, but it's put in weasel words of "the virus fooled the test". Most likely some people hadn't recovered from the virus in the first place.

Also, from the third article:

The cases with reinfection of coronavirus were detected on People’s Hospital Nº 8 in Guandong. A total of 13 discharged patients tested positive again but didn’t show renewed symptoms, according to Li Yueping, director of the intensive care unit at the hospital.

The tests were done from anal swabs, a method not used much in other parts of China. But there’s a reason behind it: the virus was found in fecal samples in research done by Guangzhou Medical University, and since then hospitals in Guandong have started doing anal swab tests.

The 13 patients that tested positive are now under observation at the hospital, while new tests are being done to understand the reasons for the incidence. New controls and monitoring will also be implemented on discharged patients, who will be more closely checked on.

So according to that, the main gist of this story is that they started checking people's poop for the virus, and it's in there, so they're checking it out and have re-admitted those people to hospital for observation.

The headline of this article "A startling number of coronavirus patients get reinfected" is bullshit basically. What the article is about is "ok we cleared you but the virus seems to be in your poop as well, we better check this out". Unless "stage 2" of the re-infection is via your butt.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:56:14 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:36 pm »

It's simply impossible to say at this point what role reinfection will play. I've seen a lot of people bringing up how you can test positive for measles for months after a case becomes asymptomatic and noninfectious, so there's nothing unprecedented about the idea. It could also be the case that not enough time has passed to appropriately mark the time until reinfection vulnerability - what if it's three months of immunity and then you're back, possibly with better or worse odds than a first infection?

We just don't know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 06, 2020, 11:19:05 pm »

Also, it's noteworthy that the tests mentioned in the article were of their poop. That's clearly apples and oranges vs a new infection. The valuable lesson there is clean ur fucking hands properly after taking a shit or you can make other people sick. But we kinda already knew that part. The fact that coronavirus can turn up in feces is the key lesson here, it just reiterates the need to wash hands.

Also Trump has best strategy for controlling coronavirus numbers:

President Trump, speaking at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, said he would have preferred not to let the passengers disembark onto American soil.  “I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault,”

It's not clear if he means letting them off the ship, and into land quarantine will double the spread, or he's concerned the reported numbers may double. The "wasn't our fault" part is telling. His main concern is about being blamed.

At the moment, the news is saying the numbers for the ship are being reported separately to the US totals, so I suspect Trump really is more concerned here about that than he is about treating the people on the ship. They're going to test everyone else on the ship, 3500 people, while about 20 are known to have it already. That may well double the number of known cases in the US, if they're allowed to be quarantined on American soil, because that's more than the number of tests carried out on the mainland up to recently.

My guess here is Trump was told this information in a briefing (the likely number of cases on the ship and how letting them off the ship would affect the numbers reported for USA), and then blabbed it outright to the news media, and meanwhile his aides are smacking themselves in their faces with their palms.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:47:16 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 459