Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477923 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Wait, when did that happen? 3 million eventual dead has been the back of napkin "duh" body count for the ~1% fatality rate and 100% infection stateside since... however many years months ago it was people figured out that's somewhere around the point the fatality rate is. There's not incredulity to be found with that guess, just the crushing weight of exactly what failure will look like of our country doesn't stop fucking this up.

I think it was in feb, in Ameripol

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Wait, when did that happen? 3 million eventual dead has been the back of napkin "duh" body count for the ~1% fatality rate and 100% infection stateside since... however many years months ago it was people figured out that's somewhere around the point the fatality rate is. There's not incredulity to be found with that guess, just the crushing weight of exactly what failure will look like of our country doesn't stop fucking this up.

I think it was in feb, in Ameripol

Also maybe here, by me. Wish you were wrong, wierd. <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

There were actually a couple positive test results where I work today, although it was the oft-faulty 15-minute tests, not a lab test, but samples have been taken and are being sent to the lab. In the meantime, we're locking down the ward those employees work in and they're sent home, I receive a food cart that has been sprayed down with disinfectant externally and serve the food in plastic containers, so the only thing I have to wash is the trays they sit on and the inside of the cart (and special weighted utensils, because nobody has invented disposable weighted utensils, and the damn things cost iirc $300 for a set of 10-12 was what my manager said. Go figure I accidentally threw a pair away today because I forgot to look inside the food box I threw away and only realized because I know how many sets I should have from each ward. But not worth digging through a trash can potentially full of virus that I might accidentally spread just moving things around in there.) I feel bad for the staff in there now, theyre going to be pulling overtime while their coworkers are on sick leave, and can't even leave the ward for breaks. And we're all worried of course that it might be an actual infection, and of course how many residents might be infected or if it will still spread...

And we have to wear the damn N95 masks now plus a face shield. Can't wear my glasses because they fog up under the face shield, blind if I do blind if I don't. Can't breathe hard through the mask, it's just too thick/tight, making it tough to wash dishes. Supervisor was saying last time they had to wear them a couple of the CNAs fainted because they weren't getting enough air.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Try the shaving foam on glasses thing? I don't know any actual specifics of it I've just heard it mentioned. I presume you don't put foam on the entire glass.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Try the shaving foam on glasses thing? I don't know any actual specifics of it I've just heard it mentioned. I presume you don't put foam on the entire glass.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

That guy must have had one hell of a beard before shaving if it could hold such a large piece of cake
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woah, the COVID thread was all the way back on page 2.

Anyways, new data showing potential significant drop off in antibody presence over just a few months. It's possible this one is just statistical variance, though.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

How does antibody presence/dropoff compare to other illnesses? I thought antibodies for all illnesses dropped off over time, and it was the memory cells or whatever that start new antibody production as needed?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not at all an expert, but my understanding it varies illness to illness - e.g. measles lasts a long time, while flu doesn't.

See, e.g., Figure 4 in this journal article.

Edit: This article may be describing what you say, to be honest; would appreciate somebody more familiar with the topic to take a look.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:44:27 am by Dostoevsky »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Y'know, a few weeks ago it was looking like India was going to overtake us for the #1 slot. But never underestimate what large masses of idiots working together can accomplish. USA still #1 and going strong!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile

The word at this stage from researchers is that they still do not know enough about the length of resistance to covid from previous infection(s).  Pushing a bit they suggest that it is (currently) looking like any vaccination is likely to be a yearly shot.  To an extent it depends on the nitty-gritty of the particular vaccination since each has their own mechanism.

Another juicy fact is that usually only about 15% of viral vaccination trials are successful.  But once again although coming from the 'experts' these are very much back of the napkin calculations (with regard to covid-19).  Basically we won't know until much further down the track.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:17:35 pm by feelotraveller »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Seeing several stories bubbling up about evidence that some survivors are developing antibodies that attack their body rather than the virus. Which would explain the cases with organ damage months after the initial infection. A virus that can morph into an autoimmune disorder is pretty fucking bad. Would also mean that for once, a vaccine *could* be dangerous.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

Looks like Italy changed its mind on on waiting for that vaccine. Anyone living in italy right now that can report on how's compliance with the guidelines?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Well, the weekend dip put us back down just under 80k, but yesterday kicked back over and today we're up over 91k while people keep talking about a third wave.

Just because there are three crests that doesn't mean the wave actually ended until we hit a trough lower than we were before said crests.

Lingering around the 1k/day death mark and it's just about to start into proper winter too.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

That's effectively one positive case a second. Many regions in the US had their worst day this week or this month. How many? This many:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: it may soon be time to abandon Wisconsin. Although, actually North Dakota is the most infected state at 5% of it's population. I guess they've got more infection overall but in concentrated areas compared to Wisconsin, which is trending upwards everywhere
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:52:52 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 459