Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478097 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Paying Americans to risk their health for cash seems to be the very essence of western capitalism, to me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Y'know, it just occurred to me, but life insurance buy in for elderly must be looking tragicomic right about now stateside. Kinda' wonder if anyone's charting it, and especially variances of change between states.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I doubt most boomers would take out life insurance on themselves anyway - what's it to them if the estate suffers?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welp, a friend I've hung out with 11 days ago tested positive for covid. Guess it's time to go get tested.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Best of luck, nenjin.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks. Roommate is kinda pissed atm. She's the only person I actually know that's tested positive for covid. Hits a little closer to home now. I haven't exactly been practicing maximum social distancing, but this is making me re-evaluate what I'm doing again. I thought I was being fairly responsible but we have been hanging out as a small group since the start for lunch and coffee every day and a movie night or two. So I probably need to stop doing that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:50:18 pm by nenjin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Welp. Schoolbus picking up kids here again. Wonder if we're going to have a day one infection re-close here, too, or if we just get to wait a week or two before a school sourced outbreak (gets identified, I'm sure we'll have spread before that). C'mon little folks, murder your parents and grandparents with the plague, that'll learn yeh.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:57:34 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Once more, Florida leads the charge toward the coveted Peak Covid award.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/12/masks-florida-ban-billy-woods/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/us/sheriff-no-mask-ocala-trnd/index.html

Also, remember! Science is only good when it respects the government's wishes-- When it produces Evil, Contradictory Reports that suggest that cases of children contracting covid have increased 90%, it just disrupts the narrative that it is SAFE TO OPEN, and that's bad, M'kay! /s

America's NUMBER ONE!!! /s

[Serious]

Please, if your country is doing things sensibly, please tell them you approve of it, and want more of that.  Stay away from the dumbfuckery coolaid.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:19:03 pm by wierd »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's right.  Number one in COVID-19 cases and deaths, number one in incarcerated persons, and number one in illicit drug use.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Dont forget that we have some the highest income disparity in the world!  Especially now that the floor fell out on eviction protection during this emergency!  We'll have more homeless than every before! /s

But this is the COVID thread, not the Ameripol thread.  Just, my country seems to WANT to self destruct over this shit, rather than do the right things to avoid catastrophe. (THANKS blobfish McConnell!)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:27:35 pm by wierd »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

So, continuing the fun time fuck ups in education in the various UK states, the Scottish education minister capitulated and said results will be changed to teacher and lecturer estimates, unless they got a higher grade.

In England’s “robust” system, 40% of results were downgraded (though 27% achieved the 2 highest grades, a record) though the British education secretary enacted a triple lock system two days prior to the release of results, which basically means a student will receive the higher grade of their estimated grade, their mock exam grade, or an exam resit in autumn grade.

The no confidence vote on the Scottish education secretary failed because the Greens decided that going to teacher estimates was enough, but the vote went ahead anyway because they need the spectacle apparently. Currently no news on Scottish views on what’s happened elsewhere in the UK, but since 25% of results being downgraded by moderators is a catastrophe, one would hope they feel the same about 40% of results being downgraded by moderators in Engerland.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An interesting study - well, "narrative review" - here. Another case of working with data they have as opposed to actual control-group science, so weigh accordingly, but there are some interesting observations:

• Roughly 40-45% asymptomatic rate among infections, but in some of these scenarios varies widely. I suspect this is higher in practice, given the ratios of people not getting tested in the first place, but some of their data here is taken from environments where everybody was tested.
  • The Diamond Princess cruise ship population showed significant numbers of asymptomatic individuals who nonetheless actually had some level of lung damage.
  • The data from US inmates has a suspiciously high (96%) asymptomatic rate. It's possible, but I imagine it's more likely that the wardens aren't too keen on providing aid.
  • Asymptomatic rates on military vessels were higher but not drastically so, despite presumably having younger & healthier populations.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Test results came back negative. *le phew*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

This is why I am a pessimist ;)
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

There was this moron in TV... a doctor from a hospital in Madrid. They were asking him about his take about the warnings from medical societies, and the staff from hospital 12 de Octubre, about the risk of another healthcare collapse.

He replied that those guys were all exaggerating, because in their hospital they "only had three beds with covid, out of a hundred". 

And I was...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ at how moronic and pretentious that was.
To clarify:
His hospital, by his own words, has a hundred beds. It probably doesnt have ICU or even a particularily large reanimation room.
OF FUCKING COURSE THEY WONT SEND SEVERE COVID TO HIM

Meanwhile the 12 de octubre, which he was disparaging, is a behemoth with ~1300-1600 beds in normal circumstances, depending on how stingy the management are being with open wards.

It takes adamantium testicles to imply his ultrarregional hospital is more representative than 12 de Octubre
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 459