Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477830 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3405 on: June 27, 2020, 11:39:05 am »

Noting that BAME individuals already seem to be more susceptible to this thing, it'll be interesting to later compare any rises seen in their communities (assuming changes in testing/assumptions-by-Death-Certificate don't operate overly differently before and after) with the rises to be surely seen in the "Redneck Reopener" crowd, or whatever distinctions can be gleaned.

Though I suspect the core data will be warped (by deliberate interference from above, for reasons mostly unrelated to what I'm looking for), so this is just me pondering aloud. Certainly much too early to tell what BF (Before Floyd) and AF eras might look like, at this time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: June 27, 2020, 12:55:58 pm »

Noting that BAME individuals already seem to be more susceptible to this thing

I think its bullshit. I think they're more exposed (by default) and have less economic means to stay isolated

The very term "BAME"  is bullshitty. Black, Asian, Middle Eastern? Might as well say non-white migrant as there is little more in-common. And it's a bit odd given that you don't see this increased lethality in Asia, or non-overwhelmed ME nations no?

We're getting a lot of shitty contradictory theories like when the pandemic in Europe became far worse than in Asia and some folks started to speculate that maybe haplotype Rb1 was a risk factor for covid19 complications. Nevermind that going by this theory Basques and Irish should be extinct by now, this should make BAMEs *less* at risk.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:10:28 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: June 27, 2020, 12:59:55 pm »

The disparity in racial death rates is largely due to racial infection rates. And *that* is because minorities disproportionately work in "essential" jobs, often with less healthcare and protections available.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: June 27, 2020, 01:14:37 pm »

The disparity in racial death rates is largely due to racial infection rates. And *that* is because minorities disproportionately work in "essential" jobs, often with less healthcare and protections available.

This is what I think. By virtue of what the BAME term entails, are more likely to be migrant workers, have less money, work in lower rungs, and depend on a visa. Thus its also more likely they cannot afford to stay at home.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:20:41 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: June 27, 2020, 03:20:56 pm »

This is what I think. By virtue of what the BAME term entails, are more likely to be migrant workers, have less money, work in lower rungs, and depend on a visa. Thus its also more likely they cannot afford to stay at home.

Also more likely to live intergenerationally, and if they're migrants more likely to prefer media from their birth countries/in their own language over that of their new home country.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: June 27, 2020, 03:25:31 pm »

if they're migrants more likely to prefer media from their birth countries/in their own language over that of their new home country.
Yes but I think we've established that covid19 most likely doesn't transmit through electromagnetic waves  :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: June 27, 2020, 03:37:10 pm »

Lack of news means a lower awareness of the circumstances of their home and a slower ability to react to changes and new developments, which added to their risk of infection when the pandemic started.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: June 27, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »

Good point. Wouldn't apply to asians, though. In fact, here they were hyper-aware of the situation because they were getting news from back home.

The main thing is that the theory that was being sounded around a couple of months ago that BAMEs were dying more of coronavirus because of genetics was dubious to begin with. Not least because BAME is not even a real ethnic category, but a hotchpot label.

Edit: 2020: the year that keeps on giving.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclear-particles-baltic/sensors-detect-rise-in-nuclear-particles-on-baltic-sea-global-body-says-idUSKBN23X2TN

https://youtu.be/Mg5HOnq7zD0
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:13:05 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: June 27, 2020, 04:10:49 pm »

Noting that BAME individuals already seem to be more susceptible to this thing

I think its bullshit. I think they're more exposed (by default) and have less economic means to stay isolated
I've heard critique of that thought, with it being left far from statistically proven. Will dig it up again before I rely on vague memory, though.

The very term "BAME"  is bullshitty. Black, Asian, Middle Eastern?
"and (other) Minority Ethnic(ity)", is how I've heard it. And wouldn't swear it isn't "Black African" as the single group, at least by some misuses of it.

I actually feel uncomfortable with it pronounced "Baym", compared with "Bee Ay Em Ee", and it's not my place to coin the term, but it seems to be the 'in' term here in the UK (we seem more comfortable, mutually 'us' and the Black people themselves,  with "Black" than the US. "African American" usually would be a misnomer for the equivalent people here who have never been in America; or even The Americas) used extensively by both "BAMEs" themselves and those who would respectfully (mostly) wish to refer to 'non-whites' in acceptible terms.

Also be aware that "Asian" in the UK refers more to the Indian Subcontinent than the Orient (sorry, another transatlantic issue I didn't consider). I think we're likely to consider the far-Far East peoples "Chinese" (or less nice versions) unless you know they're otherwise. Though even those who really shouldn't, get it wrong every-which-way...

So I apologise for my ill-defined words, following the 'fashionable' term.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: June 27, 2020, 05:54:34 pm »

Will you blame the inevitable future deaths on BLM?
Except the protests seemed to have had a neutral effect if anything, less people went out unless protesting, protestors wore masks and were outside. I mean we still have a couple more weeks before we'd start getting any death spikes from the protests but without case spikes first that seems unlikely.

The death counts don't say what happened today, they say what happened a month ago when those people generally got infected, or two weeks ago when they were in the hospital, or a week ago when they died before getting added to the reports.

The sun belt outbreak is alarming as fuck because several of those areas are showing faster rises than fucking NYC did, and NYC was a virus playground with all those people packed in such close proximity with such a huge chunk of usable space being indoors.

Other than the south/southwest totally ignoring the pandemic and either never closing or recently lifting their too lenient restrictions so everybody went "WOO, IT'S OVER, TIME TO HIT THE BARS AND COUGH ON EACH OTHER!" a few weeks ago.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: June 28, 2020, 01:17:39 am »

AAAND--  If you will note, the states with the "OMG! THE END IS NEAR!" levels of infection rate spike, were the ones that were gung-ho to drink the "REOPEN! REOPEN! MONEY MONEY MONEY!" koolaid.  You know, like Florida and Texas, with their beaches and shit?

Other places, that have basically stayed on lockdown the whole time, are doing much better on their numbers.  WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED!? /s

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: June 28, 2020, 02:41:11 am »

What about Black, Latino, Asian, and other Minority Ethnicity?
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: June 28, 2020, 04:17:47 am »

What about Black, Latino, Asian, and other Minority Ethnicity?

It's perfect!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: June 28, 2020, 04:55:25 am »

It's yet another perfectly disgusting way to group people into we vs them.
Wish people could stop labelling everything and making up new retarded abbreviations
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: June 28, 2020, 04:57:15 am »

It's yet another perfectly disgusting way to group people into we vs them.
Wish people could stop labelling everything and making up new retarded abbreviations
But if we don't do that, how will we know who to BLAME?
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 459