Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477362 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Good thinking, this will dramatically reduce the average amount of corona in WHO countries

stonks
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Snake Plissken's third film will be Escape From The United States

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Snake Plissken's third film will be Escape From The United States
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

it begins

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

I wonder if the riots will have an impact on the spread of coronavirus?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Who knows? Maybe pepperspray turns out to be the cure for Covid
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tear gas and pepper spray cocktail liberally applied I reckon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The number of corona patients in the ICUs in the Netherlands has been dropping for weeks now.
We're down from about 1400 at the peak to 170.
Of those remaining 170 patients, the average time they have spent on the ICU is 41 days (!!).
The average number of days on the ICU for surviving patients that were transferred to normal hospital wards is 19 days.
Geesh. 41 days on ICU. 41 days in a medical coma. Those patients are not going to have much of a life left if they ever regain consciousness.
They will probably spend the rest of their lives at plant consciousness hooked to life support.
Of the 2900 total patients that were admitted to ICU, 827 have died.

5 new patients were admitted to hospital today.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:31:34 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

In Russia, which has third highest case numbers globally, officials doubled the official death toll from COVID-19 in April in the city of Moscow, coming as Russia approaches 400,000 cases. Of note is that approximately half of Russia's coronavirus cases are in Moscow. Russia has an unusually low deathrate of COVID-19, attributed to the metric used by officials to define a "coronavirus death" excluding deaths in cases with preexisting conditions, which officials claim is a more accurate measure, and critics charge just exists to make the numbers sound better.

In Brazil, uh, shits fucked. With the second highest number of cases, Brazil's outbreak shows no sign of slowing. The cases and death count continue to mount, increasing more quickly than any other. In spite of this, some areas in Brazil are reopening, including the Epicenter, Sao Paulo. This only adds to an intensifying political crisis: Bolsonaro is under investigation for corruption, interfering with police matters, and other crimes, while denouncing investigators, the supreme court, the media, the legislature and others in mass rallies.

And in the number one, the US of A, the Supreme Court narrowly rejected claims from a California church that the restrictions on occupancy consistuted an unfair restriction on freedom of religion, siding with lower courts and the state government that the restrictions were equivalent to other restrictions on secular businesses. 5-4 decision with Chief Justice Robert's as the tiebreaker.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My stepdad's son has died of coronavirus. He was quadriplegic, and therefore in a nursing home where he caught it. He was on a ventilator for a few days before they took him off as a lost cause.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I am sorry for your loss.
Hope you have some fond memories to remember him by.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Looks like we're opening back up in the UK... far too soon, according to quite a few scientists and medical groups. Including a lot of members of SAGE, the group that's meant to be advising the government. Seems highly likely that we'll see a second wave here.

Not sure why the decision was taken to ease restrictions prematurely. Can think of a couple of possible reasons, none of them good.

Can't rule out the possibility that the handful of people running the show have suffered permenant brain damage from Covid. What else would possess our PM's key advisor, Dominic Cummings, not only to edit a blog post from 2019 to specifically mention coronaviruses but to draw attention to it by boasting in a televised interview that he'd written about the dangers of such viruses before the outbreak.
One wheel short of a wagon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't I say something a lot earlier about maybe the virus doing something Cordyceps-like with the PM's brain? (Also at least two scientific advisers, poltical adviser Cummings, Gove[1], etc)

My actual non-conspiracy-theory opinion (or at least less of one) is that it's to justify "as good as Europe" for the Brexit-to-be, though that's probably a conversation for another thread, if there is one for it at all.

Personal update: Having escaped Early Pollen-Season, fairly unscathed, it appears no such luck with the present one. (It's Oil Seed Rape flowering-time out there, plain enough to see and not to be sneezed at. I have the superpower of truly explosive sneezes, yet not the Necessary Secondary Superpower of not straining my muscles/skeleton when I fire one off. Strangely, this stress lasts longest in my forearms, as if I had flailed them about and hit a wall in the process, though I only actually tense up.). Makes me a bit of a social-pariah, probably, assuming I'm going to change the habit of a lifetime and be social in the first place.

[1] Probably inately immune?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

Aren't we very likely going to have a second seasonal wave again in the winter anyway?  Or is the concern more about the severity of the wave?

I mean - I don't get worried about the annual waves of seasonal flu.  Is there a reason I need to be worried about the seasonal waves of Coronavirus?

I mean I'm trying to be positive, but I'm not sure given all the civil unrest we're having here in the States that the virus is even going to matter in a few weeks.  I am sad that I, along with many others, predicted that lockdowns in the US that lasted much longer than 2 months would result in social breakdown because people just can't handle the idleness.  Tens of millions of people don't have jobs because of the lockdowns so without that fear of losing their job they are much more willing to do "risky" things.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 459