Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477364 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Easy to hack / steal data from what I understand
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Is it easy to hack or do people keep posting the meeting number and password in public places allowing people to mess them up?
That's sort of what being easy to hack means. Boomers are the biggest open port of all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Crack, not hack. If I could get Zoom to emulate a Fortress game using various public live feeds as tileset images, that would be a fine bit of hacking and absolutely no waste of my time and energy at all. I think most of its problems, though not all, have not been in core software security but in wetware misconfiguration. Yes, perhaps due to design failures in the GUI socket design, but nothing quite so obvious as requiring login passwords to be submitted to their servers via 4chan/b, secured with double-ROT13 encapsulating encryption, or whatever.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Meanwhile in the South Americas, while infections are on the rise, countries are facing a choice between lifting the lockdown and letting many people die of corona, or not lifting the lockdown and letting even more people die of hunger.
I think the more humane thing to do is lift the lockdown, corona is a relatively fast painful death, while starvation is a gruesomely slow painful death.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Countries could also opt to lift the lockdown at just the right time and get people starving to death AND dying of Corona. Maybe both at the same time!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it easy to hack or do people keep posting the meeting number and password in public places allowing people to mess them up?

Why can't we have both?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Too hungry to cough your lungs out and too short of breath to eat, the best of two worlds!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Feed a fever, starve a covid?
(Apparently I remembered the old phrase backward, it was "feed a cold, starve a fever".  It was based on the idea that someone with a fever was already too hot, and feeding them more would make that worse.  And that people with colds were actually cold, so warming them up was good?  It's not exactly modern advice...)

I guess it's possible that severe hunger could affect the progression of the disease... probably not in a positive way though, since I'd expect that to weaken the immune system.  Might take the edge off some otherwise deadly fevers, maaaybe?  But I would expect the illness and fever to last longer too.

I'm no doctor, I'm just trying to think about this horrific situation and rambling.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

You'd be surprised on how fast malnutrition can  change your blood results. When I was in my second year of residency we had this older guy (80s?) getting chemo. He was nauseous  and eating poorly. Now the blood results were all jumbled up and we had no explanation...  but once we started IV nutrition it all improved sharply.

I've had surgeons tell me similar things, how proper nutrition can affect wound healing drastically

Meanwhile in the South Americas, while infections are on the rise, countries are facing a choice between lifting the lockdown and letting many people die of corona, or not lifting the lockdown and letting even more people die of hunger.
I think the more humane thing to do is lift the lockdown, corona is a relatively fast painful death, while starvation is a gruesomely slow painful death.

I don't take any such claims at face value.  South America is not 80s Ethiopia. Countries there have money. Certainly enough to avoid starvation.   I think that, much like the Pakistani goverment's similar claim, they are by and large full of shit and are just exploring the possibility of going Bolsonaro mode.

Not that our goverments are much more honest mind you. They were lying from the get go. About severity, about protection, about face mask necessity... and probably are still lying about many other things even now.

I think the 27 all met and made a common deescalation plan which is surprisingly similar all accross Europe and verycentered on these turd's views of the economy, with the outbreak sizes a secondary consideration. I'd take any claims of safety with a pinch of salt. I fully plan to shelter in place until either we get a vaccine or I'm reasonably certain there wont be a second pandemic peak. The only exception I'm making is for work if my Irish contract goes forward (specially if my interview for a permanent post goes forward).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:13:47 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

It appears the safest place to be for not catching Covid is not cooped up inside, but in the open air.

A Hongkong studies amongst 7324 corona infections across China found that only one of the infected persons contracted the virus outdoors; a 27-year old man who had a conversation with an acquaintance who had just returned from Wuhan.
The vast majority of infections occured inside people's homes, and in public transport.
Or more general, in places where people are in close proximity for extended periods of time.
" the importance of this find is not valued properly by authorities and policy makers" , say the scientists, lead by Li Yuguo of Hongkong University.
"The transmission of respiratory infections like sars-cov-2 is an indoor phenomenon.

Other scientists acknowledge the find.
" You always have to be very careful and check if your selection of data is unbiased" , says Jaap van Dissel, head epidemologist of the Dutch RIVM (the scientific institute that advises the government on the corona outbreak).
"The Hongkong scientist themselves have pointed out that transmission itself is biased towards indoor spread if only because in general, people spend more time indoors than outside.  But even so, it is undoubtedly true that the virus will spread much less outdoors in the open than in enclosed areas. The wind will spread it thin and UV light will deactivate the virus."

Professor in clinical virology Louis Kroes: "You have to be careful, the one outdoors is not the other outdoors", referring to roofed in terraces and party tents, "but in the normal outdoor open, good luck trying to spread the virus, you won't succeed. There simply isn't any evidence that repiratory virusses like this one can be transmitted in the open outdoor air, in any way relevant to an epidemic proportion".
Kroes is sceptical about the strict enforcement of the one-and-a-half meter distance rule (the dutch standard, other countries have other distances people should keep between themselves)."
People want clarity and unambiguouty. But we are taking it too far".
For an example, Kroes points out the debates city councils are having now about how to deal with sidewalks that are less than 1.5m wide.
"When I hear that I'm like, do you really have to make an issue out of everything?  It would make perfect sense if you would have different standards for outdoor environments".

Still, it all depends on circumstances, all experts agree."Transmission of the virus outdoors cannot be completely ruled out", Yuguo says.  "Exposure time is the most important factor.  having an animated conversation for hours on a terrace will assist the virus more than a walk in the park".

It's all about situations were transmission can take place for a prolonged period of time", says Kroes."Just passing each other on the street is unimportant for transmission".

Soooo.. I guess the solution for the corona crisis is to close down all indoor jobs and evict everyone from their homes. And everyone lives long and homeless everafter.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:05:04 pm by martinuzz »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

The Hongkong scientist themselves have pointed out that transmission itself is biased towards indoor spread if only because in general, people spend more time indoors than outside.
Well duh. People are catching it at home because they are at home. If everyone lived outdoors then all contagions would be on the street. Even if its technically less likely to catch it if you're close to someone infested outside than if you're close to someone infested inside, if this is an attempt to srgue against lockdowns its asinine. What all this underlines is that contagions are person to person
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Trump recently said that he tested positive, positive towards the negative. He tested perfectly, it's just another way of saying it was a positive result towards negative.

Looking at the numbers and how they changed with the lag times involved, though we lacked a full shelter-in-place order, the patchwork of lockdowns we had through april were working and are why the numbers started to plateau/daily deaths stopped going up so quickly.

June is going to be a clusterfuck.

1.6 million cases, 96k deaths, 40k tests per 1 million people, still around 1/3rd known cases and deaths right here in the US.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Americans don't want to be inconvenienced or constrained by it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

Doesn't help when you have counter-narratives being blasted into your ears by bad actors; nor that our federal government who SHOULD be addressing the situation shit the bed. Leaving it up to each state to decide what the hell they want to do is a mistake, but muh liberty.

My only hope in all of this mess is that what actions we have been taking is enough to keep it from spiraling out like a wildfire as people start leaving their houses.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Americans don't want to be inconvenienced or constrained by it.

It's like voluntary eugenics, except it doesn't work as well as you would hope.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 459