Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 475951 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2040 on: April 03, 2020, 01:34:51 pm »

The dutch government has approved the use of veterinary grade anaesthetic Propofol for keeping corona patients asleep on the ICUs.
Propofol is one of a few agents used to keep patients asleep, but there is now a worldwide shortage.
Veterinary grade propofol is the same thing, with an added preservative that is also safely used in other human medications.
It is impossible for pharmacists to make propofol themselves, although they are already doing their best to produce alternative cocktails of midozalam and sufentanil, which can be produced locally at quite a few hospitals in the Netherlands, for as long as they have raw materials.

Still, with patients on average spending 3 weeks on respiration and needing to be kept asleep for that time, anaestethics are bound to run out (there is 3 week's supply left in stock).
The approval of use of veterinary grade will help last a bit longer, albeit not much.  Veterinary suppliers are also facing the problem of acquiring base rescources from China and India, just like the factories producing the human variant.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 03, 2020, 01:43:42 pm »

That's another reason for the interest in NIVM
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 03, 2020, 06:54:34 pm »

I feel like MI has some unique situation that is causing us to have a disturbing number of cases relative to other states.  I mean we have 4 times the cases as Ohio, and Ohio basically has the same population.  We have more cases and deaths than California for crying out loud...

Only factors I can think of is that Detroit is super poor and that Detroit Metro was an allowed entry point for international travel.  Although when compared to CA I don't think that makes a difference, since I'm sure one of the major CA airports had to be an allowed entry point as well.

I think it could also be that people are dumb - in my relatively low-density town, I'm astonished at how many people are still driving by my house, and the one day a week we go grocery shopping there's still notable traffic.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 03, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »

It looked like the US was "flattening the curve" nationally, but as of today that has changed, as the US just passed the 30,000 new cases per day mark, a remarkable increase from yesterday.  Source.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 03, 2020, 07:54:39 pm »

It's absurd to me that youtube and Netflix are still working so well.  I'm trying to restrict my use out of conscientiousness, but it's tough.  If I had my mom's DVD collection I'd have to use my PS2 Slim which yeah, is still my best console.  (best console of all time)

It's just weird because the demand must be so much higher.  What is happening in those highly-secret server farms?  What *was* happening before this?

Ah sorry, that sounds like conspiracy crap.  I'm just drinking and perusing what saved media I actually have.  The nostalgia always hits me real hard with this stuff, which is why I tend to avoid it.  Treasure it though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 03, 2020, 08:05:35 pm »

Youtube, maybe (and also, it actually has felt a bit more stuttery than usual, personally), but netflix is, like. Money. And the unemployment claim rate is currently a wobbly meter in the red zone reading 'lol'. I could see people wanting something like that more, but demand either staying steady or reducing, 'cause demand isn't just want, it's want + willingness to pay. Kinda' doubt capacity's even been close to actually full on that front in the last like decade, anyway. Casual bandwidth usage (i.e. streaming video most of the day) isn't really a major stress to begin with.

Beyond all that, there's a stay-home lean towards old people, too, so. Unless you've seen actual data that demand for that stuff has significantly spiked, to the point it could reasonably cause service interruption, I'd assume it just... hasn't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 03, 2020, 08:23:42 pm »

The actual answer is that lots of people were just watching Youtube and Netflix at work this whole time, because their jobs are useless bullshit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 03, 2020, 08:42:25 pm »

I wouldn't want to be TPB servers right now tho lol.

Also lol, MSH, I've been putting in more hours a week because I don't have to commute. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 03, 2020, 09:02:10 pm »

But our Zoom usage has positively fucking skyrocketed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 03, 2020, 09:09:56 pm »

Literally the first and only time I've heard of Zoom has been from my extra-boomer father.
And from you, now.

Like, he got me onto Skype, why is he getting me on Zoom now??

actually I'm fine with this as long as he ignores discord.  Which he's on, for Pokemon-

It's nice seeing people we care about.  Even just pictures.  Showing off our "masks" of mattress cover (him) or just a double layer of black scarf over mouth and noise (me).
Quote from: Dad
Yes, you look like you are ready to rob a convenience store.
Oh you don't want to know what a black face covering means
They're wearing masks too and recognize me, I'm sure they understand :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 03, 2020, 09:18:57 pm »

Man, I'unno, I think I might functionally be the remaining tech support at the place I'm working (still open to staff, sorta', though folk over a certain age have been sent home for a few weeks as an initial measure that probably should have happened a few weeks ago). If we end up trying to set up telework based on my IT skills we're probably going to end up rocking IRC or somethin'.

Just a few bit ago I managed to convince the actual tech people to install notepad++ on a bunch of stuff. They were impressed by the auto-backup and lack of invisible formatting you run into working with Word.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 03, 2020, 09:19:58 pm »

Btw: Weird? Remember the OxyGEN emergency  ventilator? (You were looking for the leitat at the time but afaik it's not available anywhere). Your biggest objection was that it was not approved I recall. You might want to take a second look as it has been granted an investigational license by the AEMP.
They are kind of serious about it too as they got a national car factory (SEAT) to start churning 300 a day. Supposedly has more flexibility for long term use than the leitat too  as it allows to regulate more parameters but since I'm not an ICU guy I couldn't really say...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 03, 2020, 10:58:43 pm »

Fantastic!

However, on my end, it seems our BVM is MIA.  A shame, I would have loved to manufacture the emergency vent as a precaution, but nope. Missing vital component, and now BVMs are also in short supply.

I am glad the emergency stopgap kluge is getting investigatory approval though; Hope it saves lives.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 03, 2020, 11:10:43 pm »

I hope the same.

The way things are going international markets are not reliable anymore. Countries are outright stealing each other's orders.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 459