Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] General modding questions thread  (Read 148811 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #735 on: October 02, 2021, 08:11:58 pm »

The randomly generated demons and Forgotten Beasts and Titans cannot be altered, but they can be exported from save file to text editor.
I was under the impression you could modify them, though I never tried myself.

Not to take anything away from Andux's work but in a pinch you can also just set [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] in init.txt and open world.dat in a notepad++.  You can mod it too if you like (in a hex editor of course..).  Lines in the raws are separated by a 16-bit word that reflects the length of the succeeding line.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 03, 2021, 02:05:53 am »

Oh, is that what those glyphs between lines are? I never knew that.

I wouldnt be brave enough to edit the save file of something I wanted to keep, not without making a backup. And you'd need to understand those length-word-things and edit them accordingly?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 04, 2021, 01:27:30 am »

The randomly generated demons and Forgotten Beasts and Titans cannot be altered, but they can be exported from save file to text editor.
I was under the impression you could modify them, though I never tried myself.
You can definitely edit any of the GENERATED raws quite straightforwardly with DFhack, and have those changes saved. I've done so before.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #738 on: October 04, 2021, 04:05:33 am »

What's the deal with the wiki describing SUBTERRANEAN_WATER and SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM being described as overlapping cavern features, WATER being for the underground lakes and CHASM being out of water. This doesn't check out with cave floor and floor fungus having SUBTERRANEAN_WATER as their only biome considering they only grow out of water, does it? Are they really two different kinds of cavern biomes, one with water and grasses and one without?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 20, 2021, 09:32:00 am »

If I make a new weapon and don't give any civ access to it, will it still be possible to have a moody dwarf make an artifact of that item type? Or does some civ have to have access, so that it'll be possible to have an artifact of that type?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 20, 2021, 11:20:47 am »

If I make a new weapon and don't give any civ access to it, will it still be possible to have a moody dwarf make an artifact of that item type? Or does some civ have to have access, so that it'll be possible to have an artifact of that type?

Exotic items have a 1% chance of appearing in the moody dwarfs preferences, so that process would be very arduous and long, you could simply make the weapon un-popular though by applying the maximum rarity. I dont know if that makes it exotic either or it still gets 1/3 odds like most other things.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 20, 2021, 01:12:52 pm »

Exotic items have a 1% chance of appearing in the moody dwarfs preferences, so that process would be very arduous and long, you could simply make the weapon un-popular though by applying the maximum rarity. I dont know if that makes it exotic either or it still gets 1/3 odds like most other things.

The main idea was to not give any access (not even rare) to the item, barring moods. I'm just trying to figure if that'd be a possible way to have unique "magic" weapons (basically just copies of standard weapons with boosted values). The smaller the chance to get one, the better (except for testing purposes).

The wiki didn't quite explain what it means by exotic, but I assume it means a foreign item, which some civ has access to but your civ doesn't? In any case, I guess I'll experiment and see if I figure something out.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #742 on: October 26, 2021, 10:37:02 am »

I'm just trying to figure if that'd be a possible way to have unique "magic" weapons (basically just copies of standard weapons with boosted values). The smaller the chance to get one, the better (except for testing purposes).
Here is one way to get rare magic weapons:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 26, 2021, 11:20:44 am »

Thanks, was thinking of possibly using reactions for the weapons.

Still, doesn't really solve the question about whether moody dwarves can make artifacts of a weapon type that no civ has access to (that is, not listed as [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHATEVER] under any entity). Not a big deal if it's not possible, just was curious if someone knew whether it'd work or not.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 26, 2021, 11:36:10 am »

Thanks, was thinking of possibly using reactions for the weapons.

Still, doesn't really solve the question about whether moody dwarves can make artifacts of a weapon type that no civ has access to (that is, not listed as [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHATEVER] under any entity). Not a big deal if it's not possible, just was curious if someone knew whether it'd work or not.

Alternatively, perhaps a forceful application of preference switching could be employed to a workshop with DFHack? "Induct into the cult of the hammer" kind of thing.

It should all be in their soul data, if this GUI-editor convo on the DFhack thread follows through.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #745 on: October 26, 2021, 04:17:49 pm »

So, I finally figured out how experiment interactions work.  It's a bit unintuitive, since all generated interactions mix them all together, but it IS possible to separate them.

Any interactions that involve animating or resurrecting corpses can be used in worldgen.

[EXPERIMENT_ONLY] means that an interaction cannot be used during gameplay, but if it involves either animating or resurrecting corpses, it CAN be used in worldgen.  It does not require NIGHT_CREATURE_EXPERIMENTER or I_SOURCE:EXPERIMENT.  Animated corpses can be used to construct towers, as usual.

[NIGHT_CREATURE_EXPERIMENTER] means the creature will occasionally "perform horrible experiments" under certain circumstances in worldgen.

While performing horrible experiments, a creature can use any interaction that has the [I_SOURCE:EXPERIMENT] tag, whether it is one of that creature's abilities or not.  In fact, as far as I can tell, adding it as a creature's abilities doesn't actually do anything, despite the fact that generated necromancers have it.

So it is actually possible to make a secret that allows a creature to use specific animation or resurrection abilities during worldgen, without creating random generated experiment creatures.  Just give it EXPERIMENT_ONLY interaction that either animates or resurrects corpses, and to prevent generic necromancers from creating the custom creature, leave out the I_SOURCE:EXPERIMENT from the interaction.  However, this cannot be used to target live creatures with specific effects, since this will only occur during experiments.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 28, 2021, 06:55:00 am »

So I'm working on boats and they're just not working. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Here are the raws for my simplest boat. It's literally just two body parts, but apparently the game just does not like this. I've made way more complicated things than this, error free. I've got vastly more complicated things in just this mod alone. But apparently the boats are just a bridge too far.

Here's the boat itself. Well, one of them, as I tried just removing all of them but my simplest boat to get at least a starting point of what's going on.

Here are the b_detail... details. Note that I originally had these defined in the creature raws before thinking doing this might fix it.

Here's the body that the game seems so utterly baffled by.

And here's the errorlog

I'm guessing it's something obvious that I'm just not noticing/thinking about, but what could be causing this?

EDIT: Okay coracle's fixed. Problem is there needs to be a central body part that isn't attached to anything. Now to figure out what's wrong with the other ones, which don't have that problem.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:18:12 am by Dunmeris »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 28, 2021, 05:38:34 pm »

So I'm working on boats and they're just not working. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Here are the raws for my simplest boat. It's literally just two body parts, but apparently the game just does not like this. I've made way more complicated things than this, error free. I've got vastly more complicated things in just this mod alone. But apparently the boats are just a bridge too far.

I'm guessing it's something obvious that I'm just not noticing/thinking about, but what could be causing this?

EDIT: Okay coracle's fixed. Problem is there needs to be a central body part that isn't attached to anything. Now to figure out what's wrong with the other ones, which don't have that problem.

Interesting concept, but on a surface level it does seem somewhat flawed. Since normally pack animals are lead along to the trade depot by the race who owns them, the route is decided by the owner based on where they can traverse (different rules when purely mounted, leading implies a trek on foot). But since you can't pre-optimize the owner race to have your sydrome even if it protects them in real-game time, its easier if they're just fish/frogmen with [AMPHIBIOUS]

I dont particularly have anything to comment on the design of it. It ought to work for sieges and personal adventurer usage if you wanted to go across the high seas or big lakes and the like, and you could get real fancy if you created some sea-sphere related boat-construction-manual secret for the race it's intended for.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 31, 2021, 10:40:34 am »

Interesting concept, but on a surface level it does seem somewhat flawed. Since normally pack animals are lead along to the trade depot by the race who owns them, the route is decided by the owner based on where they can traverse (different rules when purely mounted, leading implies a trek on foot). But since you can't pre-optimize the owner race to have your sydrome even if it protects them in real-game time, its easier if they're just fish/frogmen with [AMPHIBIOUS]

I dont particularly have anything to comment on the design of it. It ought to work for sieges and personal adventurer usage if you wanted to go across the high seas or big lakes and the like, and you could get real fancy if you created some sea-sphere related boat-construction-manual secret for the race it's intended for.

Thanks, I actually haven't yet tested the ships in fortress mode enough to see how they'd work with merchants. I think I'll remove the pack animal part from the ships in that case. That'll probably make fishing ships work better anyway.

A sea-sphere related construction manual secret is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe the secret of constructing some sort of fantastic antediluvian ships. That's a good idea and fits the mod setting perfectly.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 31, 2021, 05:09:31 pm »

So I'm having some bugs in my game that seem like they're caused by raw duplication, but nothing is reported on the errorlog. Does anyone have any idea on how I could find these bugs?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 61