Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] General modding questions thread  (Read 148795 times)

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2020, 11:05:02 am »

Hello! I have a question about golems. I've been trying to create a mod for personal use for a long time. But nothing clever comes to mind. How do golems work in Masterwork? Can I copy some raw-file, reaction etc for myself, and if so, which ones? If you have any ideas "How to do this" please, answer. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I'm completely unfamiliar with masterwork, does anyone here know? And if they have those in masterwork, you could try copying those raws.

Could you describe the creature you wanted to create?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2020, 11:38:28 am »

Hmm. The lack of knowledge spreading without towers is worrisome, yeah. I do wonder whether there's any confirmation as to what personality affects that.

Alternatively, I was tempted to rig it so that secrets could spread via other ways, most likely via contact with sphere-related creatures who might already be credited for the secrets in worldgen. Alternatively, what's a good way to make sure that someone who kills a mage in worldgen is likely to become a mage?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2020, 11:50:54 am »

Hello! I have a question about golems. I've been trying to create a mod for personal use for a long time. But nothing clever comes to mind. How do golems work in Masterwork? Can I copy some raw-file, reaction etc for myself, and if so, which ones? If you have any ideas "How to do this" please, answer. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I'm completely unfamiliar with masterwork, does anyone here know? And if they have those in masterwork, you could try copying those raws.

Could you describe the creature you wanted to create?

It depends exactly how you want Golems to work (I've played Masterwork fortresses two or three times... buts that was at least a few years ago).  If I recall correctly, there is no way to directly summon creatures with just the RAW reactions and workshops, instead you also need a dfHack script running at the same time. 

To do it this way, you will need to add in creature RAWs for the Golem, workshop RAWs for the workshop were you make it, reaction RAWs for the reaction, add the reaction and workshop to the entity RAWs, and then have the dfHack script running.

There is another way, which doesn't require dfHack and just RAW modifications, which I think older versions of the Masterwork did... you can have the reaction instead generate a material that vaporizes on creation because of a low melting point and has a syndrome attacked to it that permanently transforms the dwarf into a golem.  With the new summoning interaction, you could instead have the mist temporarily grant the dwarf the ability to summon golems and have the USAGE hints to the ability set so the dwarf does so right away.

To do it this way, you will need to add in creature RAWs for the Golem, workshop RAWs for the workshop were you make it, reaction RAWs for the reaction, add the reaction and workshop to the entity RAWs, a custom material RAW with a syndrome which causes either golem transformation or grants an ability to summon golems.  I think you also need an interaction RAW for the custom syndrome, but it might be definable in the material RAWs or the syndrome RAWs, I'm not 100% sure.

As a much. much easier starting point, you could just copy the Golem creature RAWs, and then add

Code: [Select]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE][PET]
[PETVALUE:60]

This will make Golem choosable on embark as pets at twice the cost of dogs.

Hmm. The lack of knowledge spreading without towers is worrisome, yeah. I do wonder whether there's any confirmation as to what personality affects that.
Toady has been amenable to revealing a bit under the hood if he recalls off the top of his head and the question is concise enough... I could try asking a FotF question if no one here knows.

Alternatively, I was tempted to rig it so that secrets could spread via other ways, most likely via contact with sphere-related creatures who might already be credited for the secrets in worldgen.

Sphere related creatures don't actually seem to get secrets like they should?  Or at least, rarely enough that I haven't found any in 4 tries at modded worldgen so far.  I had a whole bunch of modded intelligent dragon megabeasts with multiple sphere alignments and multiple secrets for those sphere available, but although they would occasionally take over sites, they didn't write any books or teach any students.  Maybe I should try modding there personalities next?

Alternatively, what's a good way to make sure that someone who kills a mage in worldgen is likely to become a mage?

Just the werebeast and bloodsucker stuff.  Eric Blank should have some idea from their Spellcrafts mod how well werebeast and bloodsucker secret spread methods mix with other secrets.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:58:13 am by Scruiser »
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2020, 11:53:12 am »

Hey, just noticed the usage hint TORMENT added to the wiki. Do we know what this does? Is it for abusing bodies, or is it something worldgen demons do?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2020, 11:56:07 am »

Hey, just noticed the usage hint TORMENT added to the wiki. Do we know what this does? Is it for abusing bodies, or is it something worldgen demons do?

That's been a thing for a while. Spit uses it, but I dunno what counts as tormenting either.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Slann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2020, 03:42:55 pm »

This will make Golem choosable on embark as pets at twice the cost of dogs.
Thanks for your response! Of course, I've already tried adding golems as pets and it worked. But they were not citizens, so they could not labor. The second option (syndrome) I like best - in this case, the dwarf will become a golem and remain a citizen. Can you add more details? Maybe in personal message.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2020, 05:44:50 pm »

There is another way, which doesn't require dfHack and just RAW modifications, which I think older versions of the Masterwork did... you can have the reaction instead generate a material that vaporizes on creation because of a low melting point and has a syndrome attached to it that permanently transforms the dwarf into a golem. With the new summoning interaction, you could instead have the mist temporarily grant the dwarf the ability to summon golems and have the USAGE hints to the ability set so the dwarf does so right away.

Without dfhack: turn dwarf into creatureX. CreatureX drops a bodypart, turn CreatureX back into a dwarf. After that use blingbling to resurrect bodypart into CreatureY.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:47:36 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2020, 09:25:09 pm »

Thanks for your response! Of course, I've already tried adding golems as pets and it worked. But they were not citizens, so they could not labor. The second option (syndrome) I like best - in this case, the dwarf will become a golem and remain a citizen. Can you add more details? Maybe in personal message.

I am a pretty mediocre modder myself and out of practice, so it is best we continue this conversation where other people can catch my mistakes and propose alternatives (if it does start to clutter this thread can start another thread as opposed to moving to PMs).

Without dfhack: turn dwarf into creatureX. CreatureX drops a bodypart, turn CreatureX back into a dwarf. After that use blingbling to resurrect bodypart into CreatureY.

I heard people mention that workaround before, but I hadn't seen the precise description.  Thanks for the details but I think the new summoning interaction should make the workaround unnecessary, it should be possible to temporarily grant a dwarf the ability to summon a golem and have them immediately use it.  How reliable was the old workaround?  I suppose it is a matter of how reliably a dwarf can be made to quickly use the summoning interaction exactly once vs. how reliably an extra body part can be made to drop off and resurrect?

From the linked thread, it looks like creatures made by resurrecting bodyparts end up as "civless" friendly creatures... this is a pretty old thread so I would look for more recent confirmation especially with all the visitor stuff added to the game since then.  But if that's the case, it does mean summons created this way are limited.  I know the new summoning interaction has tokens to make it a pet and war trainable, I don't know if anyone's tested intelligent summons yet.

Of course, if for flavor or balance or roleplaying reasons Slann actually specifically wants the golems to be transformed dwarfs (as opposed to permanently summoned creatures or ) that is doable and easier to do.  I think it should make them remain citizens which can be assigned labor?
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2020, 10:03:18 pm »

Just the werebeast and bloodsucker stuff.  Eric Blank should have some idea from their Spellcrafts mod how well werebeast and bloodsucker secret spread methods mix with other secrets.

Special attacks like those werebeasts use seem to be the most reliable way to get things to intentionally spread in worldgen without getting secrets involved. I haven't even had the chance to check out the new villain network stuff (keep getting worldgen crashes with spellcrafts, trying to figure out what's causing them)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2020, 11:00:12 pm »

would it be possible to use a summon interaction as a special attack for a weapon? for example a staff of the dead that summons zombies when u use the attack

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2020, 02:17:47 am »

Just extracted some bogeyman raws, should I go ahead and update them on the wiki?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2020, 06:30:39 am »

would it be possible to use a summon interaction as a special attack for a weapon? for example a staff of the dead that summons zombies when u use the attack

Unfortunately, items are not currently linked to interactions in any way - aside from slabs and books, from which a creature can learn a secret.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2020, 07:08:00 am »

To a very limited extent, you can make dwarf and adventure mode reactions that use the staff with [PRESERVE_REAGENT] and expel a gas or liquid which grants an interaction as part of it's syndrome.
These would be non-applicable to worldgen in general though. Don't expect to see anyone running around using these cool techniques without some other means of inducing shenanigans.
Hmm. Actually, can solids apply contact-syndromes in any case... and can they be applied due to being worn as clothing?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2020, 07:09:54 am »

Hmm. Actually, can solids apply contact-syndromes in any case... and can they be applied due to being worn as clothing?

No, solids will only apply contact syndromes if the material is in a dust form.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Slann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2020, 08:07:15 am »

Thats looks intresting. But I'm a bad modder and I don't understand. Can you explain? What means "CreatureX" "CreatureY" and a "blingbling"  :o

Of course, if for flavor or balance or roleplaying reasons Slann actually specifically wants the golems to be transformed dwarfs (as opposed to permanently summoned creatures or ) that is doable and easier to do.  I think it should make them remain citizens which can be assigned labor?

It doesn't matter how it's done. The result is important.  :) Golem must be assigned labor. Maybe, he can be part of the warrior squad.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:17:00 am by Slann »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 61