Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chief Engineer and Grandmaster Engineer  (Read 473 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chief Engineer and Grandmaster Engineer
« on: January 29, 2020, 04:42:08 am »

Putting it into words while excitement is still stoked in my mind for the new content, the [CONSTRUCTIONS_PERMIT] and [MAINTAIN_ROADS]/bridges/tunnels etc really interested me when i had a flick through the file changes and got to thinking about how i could implement these in a wider scope with a developed role.

Hilldwarf constructions or least the idea of sending out your own wagon out into the world is a much requested role and i think we are much closer to this now by recognising the role of construction amongst dwarves, for engineering outside of a intellectual or trap centric mechanical field.

A Chief Engineer is in charge of management of construction projects outside and implicity inside your own site dwarven fortress, and will let you know more about your own and other sites controlled by you.

• Chief engineer handles the construction of infrastructure, such as dedicating fortress resources to building roads, tunnels and bridges, by having some handpicked skilled dwarves in mining, roadlaying, masonry and carpenting accompany them (or rather directed) off map hauling objects like blocks in bags.
  • To much the same effect, the chief engineer can designate permits to build new settlements directly the same way they build roads, though more expensive and longer-term in commitment, and lacking to build certain commodities can lead to the site being unhappy, vunerable or collapsing
  • Offering a analysis of the infrastructure present once their position is filled, including learning and recognising other sites when raids or visitors attend a site, such as sizing up the defences.

Alternatively Grandmaster Engineers within the context of a Dwarven Civilization is a commander over all novice engineers and close to the Monarch's court like the General is, often accompanying them directly when they move to a new mountainhome or being appointed on site.

• Can build fortifications on existing sites, castles to compliment captured hamlets and advanced buildings, but this is mainly faciliated by a (( [MAINTAIN_FORTIFICATIONS] )) role so by no means exclusive or hardcoded
  • The use of fortification compulsively is a entity trait (( [SITES_ARE_DEFENDED] )) for goblins, who obsessively build defences whether they are needed or not. And the inverse for elves and Kobolds, who often obscure sites directly from view (removing the nessecity to hide caves) or have a careless attitude unless pressed (( [CAREFREE_DEFENCES )) (( [CONCEALED_DEFENCES] ))
  • Elven defences often comprise of watchtowers along patrol routes, and thick brickets of thorns that are painful to move through when they are finally worried in the face of usually world-ending threats before they lift a finger.

• The Grandmaster can also build mountainhome settlements on mountain tiles, instead of just hamlets in order to make a better use of space requiring a connecting tunnel. (( [CONSTRUCT_PERMIT_MOUNTAIN] ))
  • Finally, the grandmaster gives you a 'win' condition by hand-selecting dwarves and your own fortress supplies to embark on a new fortress, as mandated by the Monarch and enacted in the preparations of the Grandmaster.

Thanks for having time to read.   :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:45:39 am by FantasticDorf »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chief Engineer and Grandmaster Engineer
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 05:26:20 pm »

Historically, road maintenance was a very important field in various administrations.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."