Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 142

Author Topic: Mystville [Game Thread]  (Read 119951 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystville [Game Thread]
« Reply #1830 on: December 04, 2020, 08:40:57 am »

I s'pose so... But why would..... I don' un'erstand....

And that was about the truth of it-- Jack did not understand how the distant approach of a most likely friendly party had triggered his danger senses so intensely. Maybe it was just him being near the tower, and being ill at ease.  That was as good an explanation as any right?  Perhaps it was because he was just so used to being watched that intently only by things intent on seeing how tasty he could be... Maybe it was something similar but benign? Seeing the party's strength from afar some how?  But why so intense, like it was right behind him?  He just couldn't grasp it, but it had been there.

We shou' prolly jus go fin out. No' gonna learn nuthin just gawkin'. he muttered out loud.  Ya down with headin down wit' me? I wants some answers ta why ... he paused for only a moment, fishing for a good way to put this, without spouting what would surely sound like complete insanity. .. Dula's walkin' up here inna middle o de night, wif a total stranger. Dula's a good guy. Big as a barn, jovial, an aloof-- Goo' in a fight tuh.  Lots a wollop. New guy from th' may'r? Mebbie.. Dunno.. Wanna fin' out?

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: December 04, 2020, 08:56:06 am »

Dixie sighed and sheathed her daggers. Maybe it was just some idiot newcomer trying to show off after all. Looks like Jack and Edwarg are going to question it. Well, if it's someone Dularach hasn't eaten yet, then maybe it's safe.

She sat near Linea, near the fire. She couldn't tell what mood Linea was in but it couldn't be that good what with their failure to open the gate. For then, Dixie was just intent on staring at Linea's fire-lit face.
I have a YouTube channel.

Silversky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: December 04, 2020, 09:13:22 am »

I s'pose so... But why would..... I don' un'erstand....

And that was about the truth of it-- Jack did not understand how the distant approach of a most likely friendly party had triggered his danger senses so intensely. Maybe it was just him being near the tower, and being ill at ease.  That was as good an explanation as any right?  Perhaps it was because he was just so used to being watched that intently only by things intent on seeing how tasty he could be... Maybe it was something similar but benign? Seeing the party's strength from afar some how?  But why so intense, like it was right behind him?  He just couldn't grasp it, but it had been there.

We shou' prolly jus go fin out. No' gonna learn nuthin just gawkin'. he muttered out loud.  Ya down with headin down wit' me? I wants some answers ta why ... he paused for only a moment, fishing for a good way to put this, without spouting what would surely sound like complete insanity. .. Dula's walkin' up here inna middle o de night, wif a total stranger. Dula's a good guy. Big as a barn, jovial, an aloof-- Goo' in a fight tuh.  Lots a wollop. New guy from th' may'r? Mebbie.. Dunno.. Wanna fin' out?

For a moment, Edwarg wondered why wouldn't they just wait for them to come here instead of come along and wander in the forest for rendezvous, but then after taking a quick glance at the tower and stone masonry surrounding them, he thought he could take a gist on it, yeah, despite his beef with Linea, that sounded like the most logical answer why he seemed itching to get out of this place.

"Sure, but let's not wander too far from the others." Edwarg attached a flashlight on his gun's muzzle and took point, leaving his shield behind.

"Won't be sleeping soon? Keep an eye, yeah." he said to Dixie, and then continued with a chuckle. "Wake Linea up if necessary. Don't worry I'll take the blame for it. We wont be long." 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:40:05 am by Silversky »

Remuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Laemmle the Sparkly Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: December 04, 2020, 09:19:03 am »

"Prolly that is my detection. I was worried that this fella and I will lost in the middle of the forest since he becoming to run aimlessly few minutes ago.

I m Skye. An adventurer from the content that worship wind and obssessed with magic. The Guild sent us here for the addition regardless I just arrived there not long ago." Skye speak to the Hermit and Orc. His expression noticeable as freshly tired from the journey.
I answer the call, from now on my sword always be with you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: December 04, 2020, 09:25:02 am »

Jack smiled with a bit of snaggle-toothed grin, behind his bushy beard, clearly glad to be getting away from the unnatural stain on the otherwise perfectly fine field of grass (though it COULD use with more variety. He'd fix that, if he had anything to do with it-- but later.)

Aright! Le's git goin' en!

The change in his demeanor, getting further away from the tower, was almost palpable.

After a few short minutes, the two met up with the imposing giant and his traveling companion.  Jack had struggled to come up with a "conversationally genteel" manner of bringing up the feeling of being watched he had felt, near the tower, when the young swordsman made a profound statement.

"Prolly that is my detection. I was worried that this fella and I will lost in the middle of the forest since he becoming to run aimlessly few minutes ago.

I m Skye. An adventurer from the content that worship wind and obssessed with magic. The Guild sent us here for the addition regardless I just arrived there not long ago." Skye speak to the Hermit and Orc. His expression noticeable as freshly tired from the journey.

Ya know son... Jack intoned, perhaps a bit too paternally, and overbearing. Not many critters takes kindly ta bein disturbed by getting oogled, ya know? Some takes it as a sign they gonna get 'et.  Might wanna keep at in min', not everythang's as jovial as yers truly.

He looked up and beamed at his once-time drinking companion so many days ago.

How ya been? Sleep et off good?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: December 04, 2020, 09:27:37 am »

"Who might you be, stranger?"
"I'm Burt and I'm with a group that's trying to figure out what's going with the animals in these woods, I saw your campfire and decided to investigate and seeing how some of you are injured I'm gonna guess that you've also had a run in with the local wildlife that my group is investigating."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Silversky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: December 04, 2020, 09:48:29 am »

Edwarg let the old hermit walked past him and greet the newcomer while he studied them. He held his shotgun like holding a guiding staff, zero-provocation style, muzzle and flashlight directed to the ground, fingers away from the trigger, but could reach to it with a simple movement if needed to.

He decided to remain silent until the old Jack done with his banter.

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:25 pm »

"If it's the wolf pack we've take care of it." The leader gestured at his cart, where some bloody pelts were hanging. "Shredded the new guy, they did. Did a town nearby hired you? Our map doesn't cover this far west."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: December 05, 2020, 04:05:29 am »

Jack spent a few minutes exchanging pleasantries with Dula, and having a good laugh about the giant's extremely long nap. The two laughed heartily, then parted ways; Jack heading back toward the forest outcrop, the rest of the collected party heading back toward the large fire near the tower.

Jack was met with perked ears and a wet, inquisitive nose, followed by demands for more pancakes.  He was in a good mood after meeting up with the lumbering giant and his pipe, and was quite taken with Mama's insistence. He nuzzled and rubbed on her, then set about reviving the buried coals of the small fire he had been using to cook with earlier.  Slowly, a faint light from the small fire filled the small patch of ground he had selected, casting a dull red pallor on the forest floor. As the light rose, he noticed little Pune, sitting beneath one of the trees, with her knees clutched close to her.

Apparently she had no place else to go, and did not like the tower any more than he did, so had elected to stay here with him and Mama.  He discretely woke her up, and offered her a spot next to the fire.  She seemed put off by it, and he assured her that he would not allow a large fire to burn unattended, and that he would ensure it was good and out before going to sleep. The two had a small discussion about where he obtained his firewood, while he cooked pancakes, and handed them off to Mama (To her intense delight).  He offered the pixie a few of the pancakes, and she acted like she had never had anything like it before. He wanted to console the poor girl, but he had no idea how to help with somebody who had lost their memories.

The conversation shifted to the ever-present.. ache.. the forest around them was experiencing. It was a pleasant surprise to talk with someone who had the same kind of sensations he did, and could feel the needs of the woods around them, and was very heartening for him (even if the subject was dire, and worrisome). He had grown so accustomed to having to keep such talk to himself, as people tended to think him quite mad if the subject came up. The two of them discussed what his and his traveling companions intentions were, why they were out here. Jack was as honest as he could be about the situation-- The others had their own reasons for taking the job the Mayor had posted, but he was here because this forest needed help, and was suffering and dying all around him, and it was something he could not endure being idle over. The concept of a human showing such concern made her giggle at him, but she couldn't place why she found it funny-- bumping into another of her gaps in her memory.

The hour was growing late, so he extinguished the fire, put the satchel bag high up in the tree branches, then he offered to make the pixie a better place to sleep for the night, by collecting some of the leaves from his and mama's bed, and making a smaller one for her nearby, just on the other side of the large tree he had chosen to sleep under so many days before. Mama wanted to know why he was being so friendly to the pixie. She accepted and agreed that the creature was not a danger, and seemed friendly enough, but reminded jack that his attention belonged to her, in a somewhat pointed manner. Jack found this hilarious, and reassured her that she needn't worry about that; He would be hers for as long as she wanted him. 

Settling in under the large tree, with the bears heavy head resting on his chest, he idly stroked her small fuzzy ears, while reflecting on the conversation he and Plune had had. Closing his eye, and leaning back in the leaves and pressing the back of his head against the roots of the large tree, he let his sensations wander.  The feelings of dull pain, cold, hunger, and other slow sufferings suffused the area. It wasn't as bad here as it was elsewhere, he noted, but it was spreading, and growing. Soon this place too, would suffer terribly if nothing was done.

A wild, crazy thought crossed his mind: This nature magic he was learning-- It allowed him to use his own energy to assist and guide the growth of plantlife, and whatever it was that was poisoning these woods, it was acting on the grass, plants and trees, and then on the beasts and birds after that-- using freakish plantlike growths inside them.  Maybe it would be a fools errand, or a waste of energy and effort, but he could try at least, to sooth what he was feeling here, even if just a little.

He once more rubbed Mama's ears as she slept heavily on his chest in the starlit gloom of the forest floor with him. She deserved so much more than having another one of those vile abominations grow inside her, and drive her mad, before causing her body to practically fall apart from the inside. These gloomy thoughts only compelled him to try this mad idea even further, spurred on by the love he felt for this silly old confused bear, which had fallen for an aging old human like him.

Abruptly, he grasped one of the tree roots beside him in his hand, and held tightly, then let his energy and desires to help every sprig of greenery, every blade of grass, every root and branch that was good and wholesome, flow into it, and into the ground beneath him.

His heart jerked into a panicked tempest as he felt the initially gentle flow, and normal background awareness of his surroundings, transform into a debilitating draw on his strength, and a sickeningly deep sensation of the suffering around him, as the two abilities temporarily merged, and his intentions for good will were latched on to, as if by desperate grasping hands. It seemed as if nature itself was grasping hold of him in desperation. Mama stirred from her slumber as he struggled to get out from under her in a panic stricken tumble, lurching more than moving, and barely able to manage a labored crawl.  He could sense her confusion, worry, and panic about him, even without looking into her eyes, as she too, was a part of these woods.

He could feel the magic getting practically ripped out of him, and it was taking all his remaining strength to remain focused, and avoid animal- like panic from setting in.  With labored and trembling hands, he slowly and very carefully climbed himself up onto his two legs, leaning very hard into his staff like a crutch, to snatch the bag from the branches over-head.  He could feel all the plants around him drinking off him, and using the energy to grow and strengthen themselves, weakening him more and more every passing moment. As he grasped the bag, his legs nearly gave out from under him, forcing him to sit down before he could simply keel over.  His wavering hands fumbled in the darkness of the bag, grasping equipment and ingredients. Glassware clanked together as mixed together the mage's fennel, rock salt, and the badger scent gland, and brought the contents together into a foul smelling potion. 

Mama and Plune were staring at him in fright, while he quaffed the potion with a disgusted face, and blessed relief washed through him as it worked its miracle, before he collapsed on his back on the ground, staring up at the stars. Sensations and feelings whirled around in him, as the energy continued to flow out, and he became aware that the local forest was trying to use his gift to rebel against the taint that was seeping in, desperately trying to grow enough to do so. He could feel every small speck of lichen, every blade of grass, all trying and fighting against each other for the energy in him, to overcome the toxic leakage, spreading from the distant north east. He became aware that this toxic energy had once been a source of strength for this far away corner of the forest, and now as poisoning it. It had latched on to him instead, seeking a new source to grow and flourish with, in near open rebellion against the now toxic flow.

Jack did not resist it.  Instead, he took charge of the flow as best he could without shutting it out, and crawled around on the forest floor, seemingly for hours, ministering to individual plants here and there, digging some up and moving them there-- guided by the sensations and feelings of everything around him.  It was almost like being in a trance; his knees and fingers getting grubby in the dirt as he toiled and struggled.

It seemed like hours had passed, and his body protested as if days of hard work had been drawn out of him, perhaps even years of his life-- he was not sure--- but in time, the draw grew less and less, while the sensation of 'connectedness' stayed intense and strong.  The plants he had struggled to prioritize had taken hold, and grown strong even in the pallor of the moonlight overhead, and a local flow and now entirely independent life-force had begun to pulse within the small patch of forest his energy had been bled into, flowing and mingling in a slow, even keel, until at long last, he sat in the dirt, completely covered in earth and forest debris, he collapsed face down. The energy was no longer being ripped out, or even seeping out-- it was now just flowing through him, neither a net positive, nor negative. Just a constant, slow flow, with no traces of the corruption bleeding in. There was still pain around him, but it was easing.

Drowsy, and half aware of anything but the intense otherworldly feelings and urgings running through him, he became aware of mama again-- She had grabbed the back of his fur coat in her mouth, and was dragging him back to their bed. Out of the crowded murmur of sensations, he made hers out, and let his own feelings of love and thanks suffuse towards it.  He heard her snort, and a collection of feelings and thoughts that he could only barely interpret as "...Beautiful idiot.." drifted back.

He was tired. Very very tired. And sore.

Mama drug him back into the bed of leaves, and laid on top of him once more, her face pressed hard against his. He weakly put an arm around her neck, and promptly lost consciousness.

Wild, intense, and confusing dreams ran wild through his mind...

----

Sunlight shone in through the trees, and kissed Jack's cheek. It was warm and comforting, as the morning dew still clung in the air. Mama was soft and warm, if a bit heavy.  He was sore all over, in places he did not realize he could be sore in.  Slowly, the morning light crept into his sleepy, heavy lidded eye, and he blinked it open.

Small, but hearty looking sprouts of spring greenery were poking out from between the fallen leaves and forest debris, in a circle surrounding where he had been sleeping. Patches of furiously clawed at earth were visible, tall stately plants of various kinds were proud and turgid in their centers.  He slowly noticed that the holes were not random, and had a kind of order and symmetry to them, but he did not comprehend it. The tree he was sleeping under had started to leaf out, with the branches studded with little green buds.

He smiled, and held mama close to him.  She nudged him, and stared him in the eye.

Foolish old man/idiot/had me terrified/... Love you/never again.

He hugged her tightly.  It *WAS* a horrible experience. Horrible, and wonderful, and painful, all at the same time. But then again, he felt around him, and the suffering was less. A lot less. 

He heard birds chirping.

It was like he had forgotten what they sounded like when they were happy.

He held mama close again, and just laid there in the leaves.

Time passed.

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: December 05, 2020, 04:26:38 am »

"Is it just me or the forest seems a lot more... fresh?" A newly-bathed Dixie said to Jack, perpendicular from where he's facing. "Did something happen while we were asleep?"

She sipped the water from her cup.
I have a YouTube channel.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: December 05, 2020, 06:00:49 am »

"If it's the wolf pack we've take care of it." The leader gestured at his cart, where some bloody pelts were hanging. "Shredded the new guy, they did. Did a town nearby hired you? Our map doesn't cover this far west."
"It's not just the wolves but all the animals here have started attacking people, yes a town not that far south of here hired me and some others, and its funny you mention your map not showing anything because the maps we were show don't really say what's north of the town besides a massive forest which brings me to the question of how did you guys get this cart out here is there a road or something nearby?"
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: December 05, 2020, 06:08:50 am »

Jack found himself walking through the village with a growing sense of unease. As if he's being watched by innumerable predators from all direction. The urgency in his steps increased as he went, until the sudden realization hit him in the face. The people, from villagers to the fellow adventurers, all stood still and watching him. No, not quite right - countless old, bearded face were smiling amicably from all direction, Lucy's visage disturbingly melted over everyone.

He ran, as the sound of faraway laughter echoed. Cracks opened in the sky, and upon inspection it turned to tbe the grinning mouth of the creepy girl who did god know what to the pixie. Said pixie was flying through the sky, though now larger than an elephant as she tried her best to clap what seemed to be a palm-sized Dularach.

He tripped and fell on his face. Struggling in panic, Jack rose to find himself in the clearing. A gangly man was standing in the center of the clearing, his head a giant hammer with a pointy wizard hat on top. The man knocked a stack of bricks with his hammer-head and a tower rapidly rose from it, blade gliders merrily circling the growing structures like some macabre birds of prey. There were iron goblins falling from the top, exploding into shrapnel of gears and nuts as they impacted.

Turning to flee, Jack ran and ran until he found himself deep in the forest. The trees grew strangely here, shaping themselves into some kind of temple. A regal flower ghost laughed uncontrollably on a throne of blackened thorns, crown on its head and jar of honey in hand. Suddenly a bee dressed in stereotypical bandit attire dashed from behind, snatched the jar of honey, and flew out of a window that wasn't there a moment ago. An incoherent folk's song echoed. The ghostly flower king wailed as it died, transforming into an even more ethereal ghost of a ghost. Jack could recognize the source of song, suddenly recognizing Linea and Dixie in the background playing patty cake as they merrily sung the tune.

...then the forest hobo woke up, sunlight shining down on his cheek as his favoritest bear nuzzled at his side.

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: December 05, 2020, 06:18:01 am »

"It's not just the wolves but all the animals here have started attacking people, yes a town not that far south of here hired me and some others, and its funny you mention your map not showing anything because the maps we were show don't really say what's north of the town besides a massive forest which brings me to the question of how did you guys get this cart out here is there a road or something nearby?"

"Haven't had any other attacks, nay. Just the wolves. Direwolves attack people when they're hungry, but the last group fought way harder than normal. They usually avoid a tough fight, you see."

He idly tapped one foot, seemingly pondering the new information.

"No idea what's deeper in the woods either. We came from the east, our latest job brought us to a conflict against some... Unsavory parties, let's leave it at that. We stay near the edges, so enough space for the wagon. Worst come to worst the boys can lift it through. I don't pay them to idle."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: December 05, 2020, 07:21:01 am »

"It'd probably be safer to head to the town instead of staying out here with whats been going on especially since one of your men is already injured, there's an inn in the town your group could stay at and there are several stores as well but you'd have to wait until they opened."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: December 05, 2020, 07:58:11 am »

"Is it just me or the forest seems a lot more... fresh?" A newly-bathed Dixie said to Jack, perpendicular from where he's facing. "Did something happen while we were asleep?"

She sipped the water from her cup.

Jack snuffed in a long breath through his nose. ...Yeah... It was....

Suddenly, the realization that Dixie was there in his camp dawned on him, and he had a moment of panic about being snuck up on, before bolting upright, and immediately regretting the movement. It felt like he had been kicked by a dozen mules.

Mama was not terribly pleased with the sudden motion either. She groaned angrily at him, and pushed him back down into the leaves, as if instructing him to stay put.

aaaooouuww..... Naow naow mama--- Ain't 'at bad---    he grunted, before rolling a bit to the side, and looking her in the eyes.

She radiated irritation at the disturbing of her morning, and a mixed message about his 'paying for it', combined with 'enjoying the peace/safety together'. (then more pancake, but first more snuggle.)

....Awwww.... he murmured, before kissing her forehead, and nestling in closer to her, rustling the leaves up over his shoulder like it they were a blanket, then scratching her behind her ears while making happy murmurs.

How long ya been sittin 'ere? he asked aloud, before assuming a more cheeky tone.

Cain't a fella have a nice quiet morn'in?

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 142