Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 142

Author Topic: Mystville [Game Thread]  (Read 119918 times)

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mystville [Game Thread]
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2020, 01:09:17 am »

"Nah... I've put on a bearded disguise before. Never again." She shook her head and looked down temporarily. "Sometimes, a disguise just doesn't work."

Dixie stared at his beard again. "It could get on another's tongue, as well, when..." She looked away. This is one of those times she should've thought a second ahead before speaking. To hurriedly divert the topic, "What time is it now?"
I have a YouTube channel.

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2020, 01:58:40 am »

Lucy shot her a knowing smile as he pulled out an ornate pocketwatch, the contraption clacking open with a crisp click.

"Exactly thirty four minutes past ten, according to central time. Got an appointment soon?"

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2020, 02:08:40 am »

"Nah... No... I don't know." Dixie glanced at him, then away, then at her own hands. She then rubbed her arm, looking at the door. She smiled at herself, then the smile quickly faded away.

"How about you? What do you often do here?

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2020, 02:25:08 am »

"The priesthood is supposed to be a town's primary healer, as per usual, but the one assigned here was rather... inept at the job. I'll not blame the poor man, he's hardly have to take care something worse than twisted ankles before all this insanity begin. I just helps along, when I can. The Company approved of it. Can't be good to antagonize the local populace, after all."

Finished dusting, he placed the duster in an unremarkable closet at one corner. There were glimpse of other cleaning supplies in there, before it's closed.

"As for why I'm here? I just like the place. Quite peaceful, reminds me of old times a bit."

Red eyes glimmered for a split second. It was unclear whether it's a trick of the light or not.

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2020, 02:48:40 am »

"I see..." Dixie said as she sat on the nearest available chair. His eyes, just now... It's really strange, she thought. "So, you're not a priest yourself? Why'd you choose to master restoration?"

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2020, 05:01:54 am »

"It was necessary. I eventually got passable at it, despite not being my strong suit. Learned from the best."

His answers were as vague as usual, when inquired about himself.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2020, 05:07:51 am »

... No ma'am... he gruffed while exhaling, in a manner similar to that of a child, and rolling his eye in defeat.  ... Let me explain it to Mama.....

"What does he mean, 'explain it to Mama'?" asked the inn keeper incredulously while looking past her at Jack, as Jack sat down next to the big bear, nuzzled her shoulder for her attention, and looked into her face.

"Just watch." Said Linea, shifting her weight to one leg for greater comfort.

Jack shuddered a moment, then the bear huffed, and looked away. He stood back up, dusting off his knees.

She dont understand a single bit of it. he grumbled. Thinks yer' bein' unreasonable and stupid---  And quite frankly, I agree--  But she said she'd be careful as she can not to knock stuff o'r in there. -- She dont e'en want ta be in dere anyhoo.

"Just like that?" The man scoffed. "You honestly expect---"

Linea diplomatically cut him off-

"Wild magic takes many forms." She politely informed.  "Eye contact is often involved with magic involving the mind. Is the fact that this bear--- the very same one that came crashing into town a few hours ago-- is standing there taking a head scratch, not proof enough?"

She smiled and blinked expectantly at the inn keeper.  Sure enough, Jack was there, bent over and murmuring into the bear's fur while being lavished in full-face licks, as he rubbed and scratched the back of her head.

The inn keeper boggled, and wrung his hands.
"that damn fool's gonna get his face bit off.." he muttered, before waving to let them in.

Linea thanked the inn keeper and smiled at him, once again offering assurances of safety, to which the man just returned anxious eyes, and continued his hand-wringing.

"The room is upstairs Jack. After you good sir." she nodded to the inn keeper, who double-taked for a moment, before nodding, and going back in the way he came, leaving the door open.

Linea went in calmly and politely, as Jack straightened back up, and motioned for Mama to follow.  Mama had some issue getting through the narrow doorway, but she managed.

The inn keeper led them up a thankfully wide set of stairs tracing up the interior wall, and into the upper level of the inn.  The room in question was at the far end, at the corner of the building. It's window would be facing out toward the northwest exit of town, overlooking the woods.  A very nice view, in happier times.

"Here's the room again-- Dont tear it up." Said the inn keeper at Jack, before passing Linea, and continuing "I sure hope you know what you are doing miss.." as he wandered back out into the hall, and resumed rubbing his hands.

Jack held the door for Mama, as she squeezed through the frame and into the room, before following her in. Linea calmly entered after, before closing it behind her.

"The innkeeper said there was a lot of blood in the room, and that the creature entered through the window. I'd ask him to explain it again himself, but he seems ... preoccupied." She continued. "He said that the room was damaged a lot in the struggle, and that he had to do repairs. He mentioned that the blood has resisted cleaning, so I hoped you could help shed some light on what happened here."

Jack gave her a calm, but compassionate look.

My nose ain't any better'n yours is, girl.  Hell-- Bein a elf, yours is prolly better an' mine is anyhoo..  But I'll see what I can do..

The old man surveyed the room, walking to the window, and running a single eye all around the frame, under the sillboard, along the baseboard of the walls and floor, then along all the walls, and finally back to the center of the floor.

C'mere girl-- he said finally, crouching in the center of the room.

Linea raised an eyebrow at being called "girl", but complied without argument. The hermit continued.

Tore in the whole darn winda. Spinters and tar all around the thing where they stuffed it to shut out the draft after tryin' ta fix it.  Left claw marks. Biggun's. He motioned to marks in the floor, just a few feet in front of himself, as he faced the window. See em' dere skidmarks? there's 5 o'em. Here, lemmie show you summ'n.

He stood up, and wandered over to Mama, who was sniffing the corner with interest. He sat down, rubbed on her, and looked into her eyes while murmuring pleasing things at her. The bear rolled her eyes, shifted her weight, and then raised her rear right leg.  Jack motioned Linea over.

Here-- Look at mama's foot.  Looks a lot like a man's-- cept it's flat on the bottom, with no real heel-ball to speak of. See how the toes is spread, with claws on the end? He took of his own boot, then a tattered (and entirely horridly dingy) sock, got into a somewhat comical position to hold it up next to Mama's, and continued. A man's foot looks a fair bit differn'  No claws, and the toes is more together on one side, with a more rounded profile in how they line up. He patted mama on the butt, and she sat her foot back down, looking at him like he was the silliest thing in the world.  He just smiled at her, then put his sock and boot back on, before standing up.

Now come o'er here... He motioned to the floor just under the window sill, back to where the marks were.

See how there's a gap there? and rounded?  Got claws like a bear, only bigger--- Got toes like a man, only kinda. Not like either one, nor some freak mix o the two. Troll Maybe... Or som'in else entirely...

He stood up and dusted off his pants.

It's big-- Bigger'n mama o'er there.  And it moves strange. Kinda alternatin between walkin on fours and twos. Jumps like it walks on two. Lands like it walks on four.  It tore in the winda, then spring-boarded into the poor [expletive deleted] as was bein' right here---  He pointed straight down at the ground. I can jus' make out the circle where the blood was here-- Big.  Big bleed, and fast. He motioned at the wall further in. See the spatterin there? thin, starts where you ain't expectin though-- Where you see there, low near hte door-- that's where it ends. Starts up there---

He pointed up at the rafters. Above, where the innkeeper hadnt noticed, was uncleaned spatter. Tracing it, it made a thin, long arc from overhead, along the wall, and slanting toward the door.

Poor [expletive deleted] had his damned [expletive deleted] torn open, and his leg half ripped off. Tried to stop the bleedin, before it picked im up, and threw im around like a rag-doll. [Expletive deleted] woulda died in minutes, just from the bleedin. he turned to Linea, a bit of softness in that otherwise hard, and stony eye of his. I hope yer missin persons had a healer with em... It woulda took magic to stop that, and ifn they didnt, he's one dead [expletive deleted.]   He resumed-- pointing at the bullet holes clustered around the window.

They tried to shoot what'er it was as was tearing their buddy up and eatin im for dinner-- It took their friend out the winda with it and they followed.  Cant tell more. I could ask mama to smell ifn' ya want.

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2020, 05:37:06 am »

Linea remained silent, for a brief eleven seconds that felt like an hour. Animal Savagery or something else? If it was the case, why here? Why in the innermost part of the village? The thought of witnessing the women being dragged and eaten alive made her feel nauseous.

However, Linea didn't bring up her doubts and just nodded at the hermit's explanation.

"Let's get some fresh air first. I need to clear my mind."

Linea handed over the blood-stained bag to Jack, then headed downstairs. The bartender, although still having the air of joviality around him still looked rather unnerved by the bear's presence.

Linea fished out some more coins from her pocket and placed it on the counter. "Is there anyone capable of healing magic in this village?"
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:54:30 am by Slyph »

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2020, 06:02:29 am »

"Aye, we 'ave the village priest but he usually treat fever and bruises. The Company's mister Lucy usually help on the worse stuff, lately. One evening and even broken legs is fixed! But, uh, a fair warning lass. His healing method isn't for the faint of heart. Best listen to him and dont peek."

He didn't seems willing to elaborate on the last part. The potbellied man glanced at the bear trudging down the stairs, seemingly reliefed that she's behaving. For the most part.

"He's usually in the shrine, some kinna serenity he said. 'Ell, he's there more often than our priest!"

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2020, 06:04:58 am »

Dixie looked at her hands. Learning from the best, huh... Lucy seems like one of the best, at the moment. She's right with him now. Maybe it's worth a shot.

"Could you teach me how to heal like you do? I-I'll pay, if... if coin's an issue. Wait... actually I just ran out of coin on my person... "
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:08:04 am by The Centipede »

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2020, 06:17:54 am »

"I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's a lot more difficult than standard magic. Much fine control is required. Besides..." he pondered, glancing her up and down. Almost predatory. "...tell you what, I'll have to demonstrate sooner or later. Take a look at the method first, would you? We can talk payment then. Money isn't the only currency out there."

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 06, 2020, 06:47:54 am »

Despite the leather armor she currently dons, the tight-fitting sweater and pants still make her a little self-conscious. Dixie's face reddens for a while at what she thought to be his implication. "I-I understand."

She grabs a dagger from her waist and aims it at her hand. "May I have you demonstrate now? I think we still have at least an hour before noon. Would that be enough time?"
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:53:26 am by The Centipede »

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 06, 2020, 07:06:38 am »

"Dont hurt yourself, please. Simple cuts doesn't display much since standard healing magic fix it just fine. Instead... I'll show what manner of fine control you'll need."

The pocketwatch was taken out again. It slowly floated from his hand, invisible tendrils of mana holding it in place. For the first few seconds nothing seemed to happen, but then the few screws holding the case slowly uncorked themselves.

Afterward it was a grand show of finesse where the pocketwatch disassembled itself, each gear still ticking and spinning in the exact same rhythm despite being separated from each other. It spread into a small cloud of parts, the pocketwatch dissected so perfectly without the slightest damage to the mechanism still in motion.

"And that, is the minimum requirement."

The cloud rapidly reassembled back. Exactly one minute have passed, according to the clock, but there's a strong feeling that it wasn't wrong at the slightest.

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2020, 07:51:07 am »

!? "Wow... so you are a magical surgeon."

Dixie cuffed her chin. "Is it just purely magical control, or do you also have to know which piece goes where? In which case, I'd have to study anatomy as well... Either way, I suppose I'm gonna have to be in this village for a longer while than I thought..."

She stands up. "Thank you for... the... Would you like to eat lunch? With me? Maybe it's a little earlier than usual, but I think everyone's up and ready to go."

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:19 am »

"It's better to know what goes where, but not neccessary. You'll need to develop an ability to sense via mana and simply guide everything on the correct path. It could be trained by keeping the gears spinning." He tapped the pocketwatch.

"My pleasure. It's a good time to introduce myself."

Turning to the door, he offered an arm to Dixie.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 142