Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The King's Dilemma (8/12) Game 1: First Decision  (Read 10521 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Dilemma (8/12)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 05:32:58 pm »

Well then 8 people have signed up and chosen Houses, i will wait a bit longer sicne at least one more person showed interest. But then we are off to the races.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 08:15:02 pm »

Duke Drojand rises out of his dinner chair with as much grace as his rotund form can muster. With one hand idly preening his flame-colored moustache, he announces, "My fellow Ladies and Lords, while we are still at the feast before the meetings proper, I would like to propose a toast to the health and long life of all assembled here." He pauses, though it seems hardly likely anyone could object to so bland a proposal. "And, while I'm up, I'd like to mention that the prosperity of our kingdom has unfortunately missed some of Gamam's middle classes. If any of you are interested in the purchase of some fine jewelry or ornamental cabinets for your own homes – not that they need any, I'm sure, but only to put on the best appearance of modern style – I've brought along a few samples for you to look over. If they meet your liking, I can gladly accept orders on behalf of the craftsmen responsible and I'll be suitably grateful on their behalf until they have the chance to thank you in person. After this dreary business is concluded, please feel free to visit Golden Harbour at any time, I'm sure we can arrange the finest seafood dinner imaginable to cap off a pleasant day of shopping.

"Cheers!"

Although Golden Harbour is justly famed for having some of the finest craftsmanship in the land, and House Compadde employs some of the best cooks as well, the Duke is certainly hinting that his vote is for sale to anyone who might be willing to divert a suitable amount of spending to Gamam.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 08:47:51 am »

The Rule of King Harald V

The trumpets strike three rising notes and eighty one doves are released as King Harald V is crowned by the Prior Mother of the Cult.
The people erupt in a cheer of joy: our hopes of enduring prosperity are renewed with a new king.
Foreign Dignitaries from Kasuk, Cidladia, Kauppias and Mhuir crowd the royal palace to evaluate the new king and gain his favour.
The ceremony is accompanied by a celebration lasting three whole days along all the streets of our Capital, Lybra.

A week later, sitting on his throne in front of the Grant chiselled doors to the Council Room, the King adresses you for the first time.

Any authority is flickering, and power can be a blessing or a curse upon those who it is excercised upon.

After a long pause he adds:

Ruling, is an unsolvable dilemma.

Assembled in the Council Hall are eight of the 12 Houses of Ankist. Enough to vote without the rest, though more might join later.

Duke Drojand of Gamam, House of Compadde (mightymushroom)

Duke Humphrey of Olwyn, House of Drebbel (notquitethere)

Duchess Dur of Coden, House of Druid (tricmagic)

Duke Emmanuel of Natar, House of Orburg (lovecraftianfairytale)

Marquis Belemar of Tyrill, House of Tyrill (uristmcriley)

Marquis Iain of Wylio, House of Uist (hector 13)

Marquis Maximilio of Crann, House of Corvus (shadowclaw777)

Duke Solaire of Dualak, House of Solis

The Matter at Hand:

The Royal marshal informs us that three windmills along the road between Lybra and Golden Harbour have been set on fire. The affected millers ask our help in rebuilding them.
Do we fund the reconstruction?

AYE! - Wealth - Welfare +
NAY! - Welfare -  , Further Potential Negative Outcomes

3 Power hang in the balance

The State of the Kingdom of Ankist

Stability 9

Influence 9 trending upward

Wealth 9 trending downward

Morale 9 trending downward

Welfare 9 trending downward

Knowledge 9 trending upward

------------------------

You can now Discuss the issue, persuade or bribe or convince other players of your point of view or do nothing.
Remember Bribes only take permanent effect once Coins exchange hands!

After the Discussion (read Bribing) period is over you can vote. You may vote AYE! or NAY! and attach how much power you wish to invest, or you can PASS!, which needs you to invest at least one coin but you get access to the 3 Power that hang in the balance at the end of the voting round.

The player with the most power invested of the winning side will become the Leader and will undersign and carry responsibility for this decision. This will have further effects down the line!

Before i forget. All of you start with 8 POWER and 10 COINS in your pool, i will keep track of your pool, but you should do so as well yourselves. In future games you will start with more or less of it depending on achievements unlocked, decisions taken etc.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:03:10 pm by Ghazkull »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Dilemma (8/12) Game 1: First Decision
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 09:10:52 am »

Duchess Dur speaks: "Do we know the cause of the Fire?"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 09:22:25 am »

Can I join in as Duke Meinard of Sollad, House of Sibard? With claims on Sollad and Blodyn?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 09:41:04 am »

Duke Drojand's pre-game play is still in business. His vote (and power) is for sale even though the first event directly regards his territory. I decided on it while I was still waiting for confirmation to get in, and my meta goals are still worthwhile regardless of any secret stuff or randomness.

Duchess Dur speaks: "Do we know the cause of the Fire?"

Duke Drojand answers, "Arsonists, my Lady. Foolish youth with more drink than good for them, but arsonists all the same. The dust in those old mills, and the dry timbers, well, no one could do a thing. The sheriff rounded them up and had them flogged. Those that survived the flogging are chained in a quarry as we speak.

"But never mind that. What I want to know is whether the Crown will help us in our distress. The mills have served the town for generations, and they can't be easily replaced. Not all at once.

"Those who know me, know I don't relish the thought of being a beggar. 'Life is work, Work is Life.' A man should stand on his own feet. But when a disaster such as this strikes, it hurts the whole land. My piece of it more than others, to be sure, but we've put in our work and we're willing to do more. If it pleases the King to yield back a paltry portion of the taxes we've paid, that is justice.

"Though, to be sure, if I could secure any other funds then the official vote would be moot. Gamam stands for itself, and with its friends. We have been friends to the Kings of Ankist and its many Houses. Now we shall learn who is friends to us."
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:43:47 am by mightymushroom »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 10:01:06 am »

@Haspen, yup i will introduce you with the next decision

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 01:10:50 pm »

(Are the nation's stats publicly known?)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 01:11:42 pm »

oh shit i forgot to add them yes they are...give me a moment to fix this

EDIT:

Turn post now has the state of the Kingdom.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:15:23 pm by Ghazkull »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 01:44:23 pm »

Trending, my dear fellow, not tending :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:36 pm »

Humphrey Drebbel the Duke of Olwyn in the south, fiddles with his voluminous sleeves as he sits in the council. There's a small puff of powder and a muffled squark.

"Ever I am solicitous to the needs of the common man," he says. "They require bread, as do we all, and bread must be milled... but I am mindful of the pressures on the public purse and the ill consequences that might portend if debt-ridden mercantilists were to destroy their productive enterprises with the hope of receiving funds from the King. We may be helping  three mills, but creating due incentive to destroy many more."

Trending, my dear fellow, not tending :P
Or tending towards.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 03:55:45 pm »

Iain of Uist nods as Humphrey speaks.

Mmm. It is not outside the realm of possibility that the millers conspired to hire someone to destroy their mills in order to replace aging equipment and buildings. One mill burning down is unlikely to draw the attention of the crown and its coffers, but three might. This could set a terrible precedent.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 04:20:08 pm »

Solaire stood up, why such minor thing ad just  three mills is brought before court ?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 04:35:48 pm »

Iain chuckles gently.

It isn’t minor if it’s brought before us. Do you know how much flour a mill can grind? It feeds a great many people. It’s a significant setback to a town to lose one mill, never mind three. The price of bread increases enough that the commoners can’t afford it, and even we nobles have to cut back on the finer things just to get a good meal in our bellies.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 05:01:24 pm »

Drojand scowls darkly as some of the attendees imply his people are fleecers and layabouts, or that the local magistrate failed to pursue the whole truth. Hard work is the very soul of his land. He respects decorum enough not to interrupt, though. After all, they might be biased toward seeing their own vices in others.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5