Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Colony Ship  (Read 12566 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Ship
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2020, 12:55:37 am »

From what I understood, some/most go to cryo sleep as the ship sets course to another system.  For the cryo it's like 2 weeks. 

But who drives the ship?  They are awake and having babies and their culture moves on.  That's how I understood it. 

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2020, 01:32:05 am »

My understanding was that we, the representatives, were kept in cryo, but not anyone else.

Helmacon, can we get confirmation one direction or another? The answer will directly correlate to my final vote on this.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2020, 01:44:06 am »

My understanding was that we, the representatives, were kept in cryo, but not anyone else.

Helmacon, can we get confirmation one direction or another? The answer will directly correlate to my final vote on this.

Cryo chambers are particularly costly in space, since you have to dump a lot of heat to keep them cold. They are reserved only for the most important of individuals. The council members are one example. There are a few others in cryo, your master engineer for example, who will only be woken in the event of a catastrophic failure aboard the ship. Most colonists live within the communities you represent. 
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2020, 09:22:33 am »

Ok, yeah, that’s what I though. I will continue to recommend that culture be allowed to develop, but that we make sure people aren’t just forgetting the cultural stuff we already have.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2020, 03:13:24 pm »

I have changed my vote to A.  Mild discontent doesn't sound like a crisis.  We shouldn't overreact.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:14:52 pm by ZBridges »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2020, 03:17:05 pm »

A: Support the traditionalists
This will preserve your cultural scores, but cause some mild discontent

ooc. Please remember to bold your option.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2020, 04:59:44 pm »

We will likely be in this spaceship for a long, long time.  Greatly reducing current and future discontent will allow us to nip this issue, and the associated security concerns, in the bud. 

In the mobile game, at least, it is possible to regain culture score, so we might have that opportunity down the line.

B
A

Done.  Looking at the bolded votes only, it's 5A and 4B, but counting all votes, it's a tie.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:49:09 am by ZBridges »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2020, 01:55:58 am »

Update

With a tie, the decision is made towards the properly formatted votes first.

The council votes to support the traditionalists in this matter.

Some of the colonists, especially the younger ones, protest this decision and there are a few minor incidents around the ship. Fortunately with the majority militant culture these are of no real issue, but there is certainly a rebellious streak amongst the youth now, and a general wariness of your authority. Regardless, you are shuffled off back to the cryo pods, to await more interesting times.

You are awakened some time later, with the arrival at a new system. As you emerge, you notice your cryo pod has been pained like a coffin, with an ornate floral skull over the center.
"The day of the dead" the technician says in answer to your stare. "It's one of the favorites I would say. We have so many to remember now". Despite the detail of the skull, someone has added two large X's over the eye sockets in black paint. You move on to the council room.

The new planet looms into view, larger than Earth was, rocky and arid on the surface. A nervous looking intern begins a presentation on the telemetry you have collected so far.

The planet has:

Inescapable gravity*
Hot Temperatures*
A Breathable Atmosphere*
No Biosphere*
Moderate amounts of resources, with exceptions*

Two (2) Anomalies Detected:

0 Visible from space

The planets gravity well is inescapable for conventional rocketry, though more exotic (and expensive) work arounds may allow you to still make it back to space. The atmosphere is breathable, but not the same as earths. Supplements and health checks would be necessary to ensure the long term safety of the colonists. Temperatures are hot, but manageable without extra equipment. Experts recommend settlement around the poles, and the tropics are mostly dessert with the dearth of water. No biosphere is currently present, but it is believed that the planet could support one in some areas after some time.
The last big issue is the lack of resources. While the planet contains enough basic resources (metals, some natural gasses.) with no biosphere there are no fossil fuels to exploit for plastics or energy. It is also lacking in resources for advanced industries. While settlement is possible, additional cities built without the components of the original colony ship will likely not be able to support the same level of development and technology.

Readings also indicate several anomalies on the surface, but so far these are unresolved. Members within the scientific community are pressing for an expedition to explore these.

You can send an expedition for 30 tons of supplies. You currently have 100 tons of expedition supplies.

Due to the gravity well, the expedition will be unmanned, and you will not be able to recover any supplies from the surface. You may study either the planetary composition (resources), or the emergent weather effects (temperature).

Your options are:
A: Send an expedition to study the planets composition
B: Send an expedition to study the weather effects
C: Don't send an expedition and preserve your supplies.

Additionally:
A: Colonize this planet
B: Do not colonize this planet
C: Postpone the decision for colonization until after the expedition (if A or B above)

Please remember to Bold your vote. If you do not, it may not be counted.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:22:12 am by helmacon »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2020, 02:56:41 am »

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

FUCK ridiculous gravity. You can't get around that shit. And any expedition would take a full 30 of our supplies, no chance of refund.

We out. We out of this shithole place NOW.

C B

(By the way,
C: Don't not send an expedition and preserve your supplies.
Make that either "do not" or "don't", but "don't not" don't work.)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2020, 03:22:57 am »

(By the way,
C: Don't not send an expedition and preserve your supplies.
Make that either "do not" or "don't", but "don't not" don't work.)

lol, thank you. I have had some alcohol tonight.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2020, 03:23:23 am »

It is essential that we upgrade our scanners, but a +1 bonus to rolls for one specific planet characteristic isn't worth, in my opinion, the guaranteed loss of 30 tons of supplies. 

Though skipping this planet will generate further discontent, it is a poor option for colonization.  Inescapable gravity could be overcome with something like a space elevator, but the planet lacks the necessary resources to actually be able to construct something on that scale.

CB

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2020, 05:20:12 am »

CB

This planets crap lets leave.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2020, 08:35:18 am »

CB
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:21:37 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2020, 08:46:25 am »

CB

Request purple for my flowery skull decor next time, and a phallic coffin motif. Thanks vandals!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2020, 09:48:51 am »

(I'm still Cultural, however unpopular)
C B
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10