Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Grim Idols [Turn 1: Evil Pays]  (Read 12894 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Idols [Turn 1: Evil Pays]
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2020, 11:59:33 pm »

Spoiler: Glass (click to show/hide)

Starfire and Aegis
The two of you travel with Gunboat to meet with Snowspark at an ice cream parlour.

Not terribly surprisingly, Snowspark is a slight girl, dressed all in frilly white, with frilly white hair and white eyes. She's also pouting and on the verge of tears.

"I'm SO sorry!" Gunboat repeats, sounding mortified and pushing another deluxe sundae on the white Idol.

"You shoved me into the rock crushe-he-he-heeeeeeer!" Snowspark sobs back.

So. This is an interesting meeting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2020, 12:50:58 am »

"..."

[Mumbling] "This is not anywhere near approaching my area of expertise."

"Ok, I can't claim to have any actual idea what happened between the two of you, and I am quite frankly no good at navigating these types of situations, so I'm simply going to try to do this as professionally as can be done. Snowspark, one of my coworkers - a certain Timantha Starfire - is looking into hiring an Idol, and they thought that you would be a good person for that. If you are interested, I would be happy to arrange a meeting with them for you.

Spoiler: GM (click to show/hide)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2020, 03:31:11 pm »

((Sorry everyone update soon.))

"..."

[Mumbling] "This is not anywhere near approaching my area of expertise."

"Ok, I can't claim to have any actual idea what happened between the two of you, and I am quite frankly no good at navigating these types of situations, so I'm simply going to try to do this as professionally as can be done. Snowspark, one of my coworkers - a certain Timantha Starfire - is looking into hiring an Idol, and they thought that you would be a good person for that. If you are interested, I would be happy to arrange a meeting with them for you.
((I assumed Starfire would be there.))

She sniffles and stares at you, before mumbling something about throwing allies into moving machinery with a pout. Gunboat frantically orders another expensive ice cream dish.

It would seem she has other things on her mind. You might need to resolve that or distract her with something shiny to get her on the more important topic.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2020, 05:40:07 pm »

*sigh*

Dariel sits down at the table. (Depending on what the current seating arrangement is, at a different place - across from Snowspark and Gunboat if they're sitting next to each other, at the head of the table if they're sitting across from each other, next to her if they're at a bar setup, etc.)

"I won't pretend to be any good at this, but I'm going to try anyway.
First off, Gunboat, stop trying to buy her off with ice cream. While I comprehend the sentiment, it's clearly not working.
Now. How about we actually take some time to talk through what happened and how to resolve the issue?
"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2020, 08:09:02 pm »

"I was so happy to have finally made a friend, and then this is what happened!"

Snowspark pulls out some kind of handheld screen and holds it out for you to see. It appears to be footage from the obstacle course, showing Gunboat and Snowspark running for the finish line, with other contestants approaching from different angles but at similar distances. Snowspark's expression seems to be unbridled joy, while Gunboat is glancing at the competition with obvious concern. As they near the final approach, Gunboat holds out a leg to trip Snowspark, gives her a light shove mid-air, and sprints hard. Snowspark, with an expression of confusion and betrayal, sails into the padded machinery of some kind of whirling foam death-thing, while Gunboat flies through the temporarily halted implements and straight into victory.

Gunboat quickly orders another ice cream against your orders. Snowspark stares at you with tear-filled eyes and a look of determination.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2020, 09:49:03 pm »

Dariel steepled his fingers against his face.

"Ok. Gunboat, we need to talk about this.
I understand that you wanted to win that competition, and that it was intended to make you look good. But listen.
That did not make you look good at all.

Did it show you to be capable? Certainly, otherwise you wouldn't have made it to the end.
But it also showed people that you would be ruthless, and put others down if it would help you. That's not the image that people should have of those who are supposed to protect them, and it's certainly not the sort of behavior that I want those Idols signed to me to have.
Remember, you are not just a celebrity, out to look impressive. Your job is to fight the good fight, to protect people, and to raise people's hope in trying times such as these.
If you saw somebody who was sworn to protect you do this, what would you think of them? Would you trust them to have your best interests at heart?
And another thing, which I've learned from working behind the scenes for a long time. People work better together. Yes, it takes extra work from everyone involved in collaboration; you can't just be doing what works best for you, you have to do your work in a way that meshes with everyone else's efforts. But the final product is more than just the sum of what each person could do on their own; people synergize, their skills complement each other, they can focus more on what they're good at when others can handle the other parts.
That is what teamwork is. It's not a bunch of people working at the same task; it's multiple people - even just two - working at a task together, doing the work that the other cannot, so that everyone involved comes out the better for it. And they do not betray each other. It isn't worthwhile to work with somebody who betrays their partners.
If you had an option of partners to work with at a task - one not quite as good as you are, but ceaselessly loyal, while the other complements you perfectly, but will certainly betray you when it will advantage them - who would you pick?
What you did in that video, Gunboat, can and will get you a reputation for betrayal. The details will fade, but the memory of that scene will remain for a long time.
We need to fix that. We can't afford to have somebody who can't work with teammates helping to defend people from attack.
"

(I'm so sorry for the wall of text .-. )

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2020, 09:59:23 pm »

(I don’t think it is a wall)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2020, 01:20:52 am »

"But there's no point if you don't win!" Gunboat insists. "There's tons of people who mean well, heroes are the ones who get it done! And I knew it wouldn't hurt her or anything, it just- uh-"

"It did hurt! It hurt my feelings!" Snowspark bawls in retort.

"DOUBLE LARGE ZAGABERRY DELIGHT!" she shouts frantically to the servers.

She nervously pounds the table, leaning towards you.

"For the record," she whispers insistently, "I'd pick the teammate who completes the mission. Otherwise we shouldn't have been out there in the first place!"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2020, 01:45:49 am »

You could have - and likely would have - won without doing what you did. You merely would have had to be a bit more careful. You can’t just act on impulse all the time, Gunboat. We will talk about training in that regard at a later time.
And about “completing the mission”. If you want that, then you choose the person that you know will stick by your side the whole time.
Waiters, stop accepting orders from this table, please.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2020, 09:46:44 am »

Tim goes to speak with Starfire in private for this month's Gigs.

Spoiler: GM Only (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »

You could have - and likely would have - won without doing what you did. You merely would have had to be a bit more careful. You can’t just act on impulse all the time, Gunboat. We will talk about training in that regard at a later time.
And about “completing the mission”. If you want that, then you choose the person that you know will stick by your side the whole time.
Waiters, stop accepting orders from this table, please.

"I wouldn't have, though! They were ahead of me! I knew I had to make a call, and... uh..."

Snowspark sniffles very loudly and indignantly.

"Strawberry Caramel Snow Slide," Gunboat whispers insistently to the staff. They ignore your orders in favor of enabling her unhealthy addiction.

Tim goes to speak with Starfire in private for this month's Gigs.
Spoiler: Starfire Only (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2020, 03:02:11 pm »

Dariel gives Gunboat a very displeased look, then turns to Snowspark.
"I apologize for the behavior of Gunboat. Hopefully, I will have managed to drill into her why this sort of behavior is unacceptable within the month. In the meantime, what can I do to help you? Not including ice cream."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2020, 03:13:52 pm »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2020, 03:47:34 pm »

(Is it too late to advise a mission for Q?)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2020, 04:04:22 pm »

(Is it too late to advise a mission for Q?)
((No, feel free.))
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12