Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Grim Idols [Turn 1: Evil Pays]  (Read 12940 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Idols [Turn 0: Exactly As Expected]
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2020, 03:35:11 pm »

Dariel is going to first figure out if we do, in fact, have an Audition Center.
If we do, he will attempt to get all the prospective pilots to go through it in an orderly manner:

Quote from: Dariel, if we have the Center
"Alright, everyone, we need to do some tests to figure out what you're going to be best suited for! Please, enter the Audition Center in an orderly fashion! It doesn't matter who goes first, we'll be analyzing everyone's results at the same time once you've all gone through! And do not worry, everyone will be given the position they are most suited for!" Followed by overseeing the process and answering questions as diplomatically as possible while still at least technically telling the truth.
If we do not have an Audition Center, call the guys who gave us this job and requisition the damn thing ASAP.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 03:58:54 pm »

“There are 6 of us. What if we tell the large group to break off in 6 groups, 1 group for each of us. If one of us doesn’t accept one of them, they would move to another group. If someone is very unlucky and doesn’t get hired by any of us, they can then leave in search of other managers. When the ones none of us hire leave, there will be less people. These people will cycle through the groups to determine which of us will hire them. Those who are picked by one manager stays near the manager. Those picked by multiple of us will be in a combo group who will be asked questions by whichever managers picked them. The managers who each wish to hire the idol will talk with the idol to determine which of their goals the idol will be better suited for and go to that manager group. When everyone is sorted, we can then evaluate our groups. Do you have questions? Would any of you like an example?”

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 04:05:01 pm »

"Hmm, that assumes we are able to take enough control of the situation to separate them, but it could work. This floor has six sections but two are already filled by housing, so we may need to push into the lower floor to have enough room."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 04:19:07 pm »

"I'm okay with doing this in an more oganized manner."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 04:19:34 pm »

Use my experience managing chaos and rallying forces to look among the group for those who seem effective.  I'm looking for three traits in particular:

1. Someone who works effectively to stay alive and manage the situation.  Since this is going to be a group, try to look for someone who does this with friends.

2. Someone who has some degree of agressiveness.  We're not playing around, and since I'm looking for a team leader, I need someone who is willing to fight back.

3. Someone with charisma.  I'm sure all these idols are good that way, but I want someone who I think can make the Justice Beams.

If I spot someone, run down to the lower level, start deploying my tank, and drag her and her friends into it as it deploys for safekeeping.

If I don't spot someone in two minutes, run down to the lower level and start deploying the tank for use as a portable wall to seperate some people from some other people, hopefully calming it down some.

The cameras to the lower levels appear to be out, so you can't get a read on anyone actually down there screaming for attention without going down there yourself. That's likely to be a one-way trip, if a tide of candidates doesn't prevent you from making it out of the elevator in the first place.

[4][1][6] Through the giant windows around the perimeter, you notice a slightly built girl in all white bawling uncontrollably while a girl in red tries to force feed her ice cream and a girl in yellow mummifies her right shoulder. Normally you wouldn't give this a second thought, there's stragglers and casualties littered around the outside, but this one appears to have a literal halo floating over her head. Could be a cheap prop, but her friends don't have anything similar.

Dariel is going to first figure out if we do, in fact, have an Audition Center.
If we do, he will attempt to get all the prospective pilots to go through it in an orderly manner:

Quote from: Dariel, if we have the Center
"Alright, everyone, we need to do some tests to figure out what you're going to be best suited for! Please, enter the Audition Center in an orderly fashion! It doesn't matter who goes first, we'll be analyzing everyone's results at the same time once you've all gone through! And do not worry, everyone will be given the position they are most suited for!" Followed by overseeing the process and answering questions as diplomatically as possible while still at least technically telling the truth.
If we do not have an Audition Center, call the guys who gave us this job and requisition the damn thing ASAP.
[2] The sensors may be down and going down there to check is suicide, but fortunately you possess a superior mind and a firm grasp of technical matters. You pry open a floor panel and wriggle down there, looking for the hardwire connections an Audition Facility would need.

Halfway through worming your way down, you encounter a prospective client attempting to worm her way up. The yellow-skinned, vaguely mollusc-ish girl hisses at you like a rabid raccoon. You may have a problem.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 04:33:22 pm »

"..."
*sigh*
"Alright, hi. Since you're clearly determined enough to try getting up through the floor, and skillful enough to actually do it, what's your name? I think I'll need some help figuring out the situation with the Audition Center."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 06:25:42 pm »

Hrm, even if halo-girl isn't the best one, those allies of her seem to have some presence of mind.

Start unfolding my tank.  When finished, drive it through the windows to the lower level, and try to get some of the crowd to flee.

Keep any eye out for anyone who is sufficiently afraid of the tank to take cover, but is sane enough not to try and attack it, and dedicated enough to not flee.  I might need another fighter to team up with halo-girls squad.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 08:20:18 pm »

As people scatter away from the tank, pick the smallest group of runners and follow them

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 08:44:08 pm »

“C0M-ER0N REQUESTS IDOL UNIT BEFORE MAKING POST-INFORMED DECISIONS”

C0MMY (nickname of C0M-ER0N) shall utilize his superior programming module and the assistance of his Glamour Girls, to investigate the Audition Crater to get a Idol before he starts his business off.

All I need is a easily-acquirable Idol that can sign into my business. No need to get fancy and attempting to get a really good Idol in the horrible lovecraftian depths in the lower area.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2020, 10:50:49 pm »

"..."
*sigh*
"Alright, hi. Since you're clearly determined enough to try getting up through the floor, and skillful enough to actually do it, what's your name? I think I'll need some help figuring out the situation with the Audition Center."
[5] Hey eyes light up and she wriggles closer.

"Makasta! Makasta Durn, but all my friends call me Gunboat! Long story! I'm so pleased to meet you! Please please please please please choose me please please please!"

On closer inspection, she appears to be wearing some kind of dull grey flight uniform and...

[2] You think she has some lollipops or something in her hand.

Hrm, even if halo-girl isn't the best one, those allies of her seem to have some presence of mind.

Start unfolding my tank.  When finished, drive it through the windows to the lower level, and try to get some of the crowd to flee.

Keep any eye out for anyone who is sufficiently afraid of the tank to take cover, but is sane enough not to try and attack it, and dedicated enough to not flee.  I might need another fighter to team up with halo-girls squad.

You click a button and casually toss your briefcase. It begins unfolding. Then keeps unfolding. Then keeps unfolding further.

After a good few minutes of this, you clamber into your heavily armored small building inside a larger building and hit the gas. It cracks but, amazingly, doesn't shatter the giant windows. Reinforced! Good call, good call, very safe in here. Unfortunately you need to leave, soooooooo...

You're not sure what effect a giant tank blowing out a reinforced window has on any onlookers, but you're guessing it's less than seeing said tank hurling itself out of the resulting smokey hole, crashing into the pavement below as though it were waist-high water, and then revving its way forward, around, and right back into the building.

[5] You know what the effect is on the inhabitants of said building, though, because you're there to see it on the screens. Panicked scattering for the most part, with some attempts at looking nonchalant and orderly.

[4] In the process, you notice a few individuals with different ideas. A squad of what you think are purple-clad Vines appear to be loading or assembling some kind of anti-tank weaponry behind an overturned counter. A sort of... hover-bubble-thing is floating near but behind your tank, with a grey-fleshed, bulbous-eyed Nemesis inside- an Imp, their diminutive scout and mental psionics caste. There's also a very muscular-looking male Cloy in a speedo following beside your tank shouting FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

As people scatter away from the tank, pick the smallest group of runners and follow them
[3] You follow a single Cloy in long frilly pink ribbons as she flees on her own. [5] She then darts into an alley and pulls out a communicator.

"Yeah. Yeah. No. Not even a little. YES why did you- NO! ABSOLUTELY-"

She glares incredulously at the device before shaking her head.

"Idjits. Never gonna overthrow a thing at this rate..."

“C0M-ER0N REQUESTS IDOL UNIT BEFORE MAKING POST-INFORMED DECISIONS”

C0MMY (nickname of C0M-ER0N) shall utilize his superior programming module and the assistance of his Glamour Girls, to investigate the Audition Crater to get a Idol before he starts his business off.

All I need is a easily-acquirable Idol that can sign into my business. No need to get fancy and attempting to get a really good Idol in the horrible lovecraftian depths in the lower area.
There's no Audition Center on this floor, so if it exists you'd need to dive into the ground floor to access it.

[5] Although...

You hurl your patented Glamor ChainTM through a shattered window some idiot broke, your Glamor Gals grabbing onto each other to form an unbroken and perfectly loyal grabber claw which then paws at idols fleeing nearby. You fish up...!

A robot!

...wait, no. It's just an Incubus, a caste of Nemesis that resembles a stubby robot. The interior is fleshy though.

"Eh?!" it intones in a deceptively mechanical voice.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 11:01:56 pm »

Pop the top and invite those people inside the tank.  Vine squad, the Nemesis, and the Cloy.  Looks like I've got them shortlisted.  Then close up, head outside and see if I can add the star with the halo to the group I'm considering.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 11:06:49 pm »

Dariel holds up a palm.
"Hold up. Right now, I need to find the Audition Center and get it working. The people who set this up didn't put any real thought into this, and they just kinda threw us into the middle of it without telling us jack. So, I need to figure out what the actual situation is.
Now, do you know if this place actually has an Audition Center?
"
Quote from: If she says it has one
"Alright, good. I was worried they'd have skimped on that, too. Can you guide me to it?"
Quote from: If she says there is none
*sigh* "Of course they don't. Incompetent assholes. Ok, I'll need to make sure everyone else knows so we can figure out some other method. I need to go back up. Feel free to follow me."
Quote from: If she doesn't know
"Fair enough, I suppose. Listen, I'm looking for some hardware connections..." Describe the connections and why I'm looking for them to Gunboat, so that we can both look for them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:09:47 pm by Glass »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 11:14:17 pm »

“Hello. What is it you’re trying to overthrow? I am a manager looking for an idol. I like helping people, and I would like to help you. My name is Quipzee Wit, what’s yours?”

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 11:20:55 pm »

“The name of this command unit is C0M-ER0N, my diagnosis of your biological makeup as translated you to be a Nemesis. Now this unit requests your name as well as would you make good idol material for my starting-up idol-managing business?”

C0MMY shall need to learn all of the delicious information that is needed to know if this Incubus is snuff enough to be an Idol for the robot. The Glamour Girl’s still needs to grabber claw one more Idol out of the ground, before they earn their nonexistent wages

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 01:12:38 am »

Fly out the window, and find a suitable peasant. Weak, desperate, and manipulable. Offer that they make a contract with me as a "base security intern", with a bonus of the crown and initial orders to establish order here.

Claim the northeastern wing of the upstairs and deploy the [untranslatable] there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12