Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Blood and Sand - House Magnus (Planning II)  (Read 3919 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood and Sand - House Magnus (Training I)
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2020, 12:01:05 am »

(The Actual) Action Phase I

Severina took charge when negotiating a deal with the slave trader, a man named Tullius Antonius Viator. He was a shrewd businessman who'd managed to survive a number of Roman conquests and retire to a small farm plot not far from the city. His lower lip was marred with a jagged scar and drooped to the left side, a relic of his days fighting and rounding up Etruscans who'd avoided slavery and death by fleeing to small unimportant islands. They eventually settled on a price for the Gallic Farmer, but as Severina handed over the coin and Tullius prepared to hand over the slave a low, rubling voice spoke up behind the Magnii.

"I've heard rumors of your interest in the games. That one there is pretty good stock!"

Severina turned around and met the gaze of a very well know retired soldier. It was none other than Decimus Mallius Gavros, ex-Centurion. The man was large and muscular, said to be blessed with the blood of Mars himself, with wavy black hair neatly kept falling just below the base of his neck and a pair of piercing blue eyes.  He'd had the opportunity to take the role of lictor upon leaving the military, but declined it to devote all his time and resources to the Games. His success has been astounding, and bouts with his gladiators tend to be bloody spectacles worthy of the gods.

"But you're going to need more than that to achieve any notable level of success. Here," he pulled out a coinpurse, "This should be suitable for those three."

Decimus gestured to the Clan Leader, Druid, and Miner before looking Severina over, "I want you to take that one," he gestured once more to the Miner.

"We couldn't possibly accept," she responded curtly.

"I insist. I served alongside Lucius in the past, and it would be an honor to assist your House. Besides, my gladiators could use some more meat to bloody," Decimus punctuated the comment with a smirk, "I trust we'll be seeing more of one another soon."

The slaves were readied for transport, and Severina, Tycho, and Tertius set about the rest of their business.

Gladiator Traits Discovered!
Gaul: +1 Technique (Axe)
Roman: +1 Technique (Short Sword)
Farmer: +1 Resilience
Miner: +1 Strength

[-Fortune Token, -Fate Token]

----------------

On the homefront, Severina had to play a large role in the maintenance of the Ludus and connected estate within the valley. She'd drawn up an agreement with a group of fairly experienced builders to improve the state of the Ludus, and they set to work quickly and efficiently. Large quantities of stone, wood, and tools were brought in to repair the walls, build a proper gateway, flatten out the grounds designated for training, and they'd even managed to find a nice spot to dig a well to supply the Ludus with it's own source of water (as well as another pit for disposing of all sorts of refuse).

[Basic Refurbished Ludus: Each Gladiator gets +1d6 for training in addition to the distributed pool of 4d6. Negative morale from poor conditions is reduced, and the difficulty of escape is increased.]

The workers wound up spending a lot of time at the old shrine too, and when asked about it the general response involved a desire to restore it to former glory. Unfortunately, one of the children on the estate had tampered with equipment on-site, resulting in a disastrous accident that not only saw a wall of the temple entirely collapse, but it killed and injured a number of the workers. The taskmaster of the group, who had received injuries of his own in the accident, demanded compensation for himself and his injured workers. With money in short supply for Severina's business endeavors, she instead offered the man employment as a trainer in the ludus, and offered to take his men on as craftsmen, at least for a time.

[Desecrated Temple: Replaces Ruined Temple. The dead now taint the grounds of this old building once dedicated to Mars thanks to the actions of your kin. Restoring it could see benefits for the family. [+1 Fate Token/Turn] 

While the taskmaster was a tough individual, he wasn't too familiar with fighting. His men were more suited to their assigned task though, and they were able to use the wood left from the abandoned Temple refurbishment to create a number of sturdy Palii for training against a static target, and even managed to put together a contraption roughly man-shaped with two posts for arms that ended in a wooden sword and small shield, with the arms and rotation of the torso manipulable by another person via a pair of ropes.

[Amateur Taskmaster: Replaces Basic Doctore. While unfamiliar with combat, the Taskmaster can excel at pushing people past their breaking point. Currently provides a single reroll of a 1 on each Gladiator.]
[Palus+Dummy Training: Sturdy wooden posts and manipulable combat dummies provide each Gladiator with weapons training, giving them each a 1d6 for Technique Training rolls with offensive and defensive melee equipment.]

The final task for Severina was setting up a nonlethal fight as a presentation to the public in order to announce the formal entrance of the family into participation of the Games. Luckily for her, there were always people interested in watching a fight, and so it was an easy thing to find someone in the Forum willing to give one of her gladiators a fight in their arena. It would be a nonlethal one-on-one fight with a random opponent, and any sort of entrance fee is waived this one time as the director of business there likes to see new blood.

[-Fate Tokens x2, -Fortune Token, -Favor Token]

GM Note: While I won't always give you the rolls that resulted in the outcome of events, I will provide that information during the beginning turns of the game. Both the Ludus Refurbishment and Better Training Equipment rolled 5s (out of 6), while the Trainer and Temple Restoration rolled 1s.

----------------

It is now the Training Phase.

You will need to distribute the 4d6 Training dice currently available to you among your Gladiators as well as designate which TRAITS are being trained. Remember to designate the single d6 each gladiator has been given by the Refurbished Ludus as well, or else they won't get it! This is also when you will choose what sort of weapon your Gladiators will begin training with! This will convert their Technique trait to the proper subtrait. Don't worry about specifics regarding weapon variety - if you have an idea of what they'll be training with just state it and they'll get the appropriate tag.

You must also make sure to decide on which Gladiator to place in the fight.

And please name the guys before you try promoting them at the end of this turn.

Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:35:50 am by Man of Paper »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and Sand - House Magnus (Training I)
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2020, 12:33:20 am »

Training: Unto Glory

Gallic Farmer (Asterix)
-Train Technique (1 die, Axe) [Palus + Training Dummy]
-Train Agility (1 die) [Ludus Die]
-Train Theatrics (1 die)

Roman Miner (Pardus Magna)
-Train Technique (1 die, Short Sword) [Palus + Training Dummy]
-Train Resilience (1 die) [Ludus Die]
-Train Strength (1 die)
-Train Agility (1 die)
-Train Theatrics (1 die)

Send Pardus Magna to the fight
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:30:46 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2020, 01:43:54 am »

Training Plan Magnus Opus:

Gallic Farmer (Asterix)
-Train Technique (1 die, Axe)
-Train Resilience (1 die)
-Train Agility (1 die)
-Train Theatrics (1 die)

Roman Miner (Pardus)
-Train Technique (1 die, Short Sword)
-Train Strength (1 die)
-Train Agility (1 die)

Send Asterix to the fight

Idea, since Pardus won't need the theatrics immediately until we use him for a fight for the following turns, we give each recruits each is even spread in training dice rolls and still have a focus on the farmer to make him be more impressive for the fight and improving his baseline skills, and making him as tough as possible to be able an handle our next fight.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:46:05 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2020, 12:22:16 pm »

Training Plan Maximum Overdrive:

Gallic Farmers (Chosen Name)
-Train Technique (2 die, Axe)
-Train Agility (1 die)
-Train  Theatrics (1 die)

Roman Miner (Chosen Name)
-Train Technique (1 die, Short Sword)
-Train Agility (1 die)
-Train Strength (1 die)

Thoughts - the Gaul doesn't need a resilience die, I want to double down on Axes. Roman plan is good from Magnus Opus. I also think they may get a morale bonus if they're allowed to use their own names.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2020, 08:29:09 pm »

Two die on axes, especially at this stage, is wasteful. We can get a lot more benefit from out dicepool by spreading them around.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:58 pm »

Quote from: Totebox
Planning Plan Plan Vote:
Magnus Opus (1): Shadowclaw
Maximum Overdrive (1): Doomblade
Unto Glory (2): Tarcius, TFF

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2020, 10:56:16 pm »

Planning Plan Plan Vote:
Magnus Opus (0): Shadowclaw, Doomblade
Unto Glory (2): Tarcius, TFF

Tari was correct that doubling dice only adds a +1.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 07:33:15 am »

Planning Plan Plan Vote:
Magnus Opus (2): Shadowclaw, Doomblade
Unto Glory (3): Tarcius, TFF, Strider
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood and Sand - House Magnus (Planning II)
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:06 pm »

Training Phase I

While the taskmaster doctore certainly shows his shortcomings in the first few days of training the gladiators, he still provides some level of guidance alongside the training equipment provided by the household.

Severina noted an acceptable level of change in Asterix, the Farmer.
Technique (Axe): 3 > 6
Agility: 2 > 4
Theatrics: 3 > 9

She also saw some improvement in Pardus Magna, the Miner.
Technique (Short Sword): 3 > 6
Resilience: 3 > 9
Agility: 4 > 7
Theatrics: 3 > 7
Strength: 4 >7

The planned exhibition day was soon upon the Magnii. A small group left for the city with Pardus Magna, the Miner in tow. They arrived at the forum arena without issue.

----------------

The Games I

Severina met with Martius Lovernius, the owner of the shop that the arena was built behind while Tycho and Tertius took care of getting Pardus Magna set for his match. They were going to be the opening fight - nothing too lethal or exciting, but just enough to get a crowd interested, to get the blood pumping. While not everybody basked in the sight of death, a true Roman couldn't help but watch two people beat the piss out of one another for sport.

After Martinus and Severina discussed the terms of the fight once more, she made her way into the wooden stands where a crowd had gathered - a fairly large crowd for the first fight of the day. Tycho and Tertius were glaring across the fighting grounds at the stands opposite them. Pyrinikos of Abdera and Publius Flavius Lepidus, two unremarkable, overrated, underqualified members of the Flavii House, were sat staring right back. A few moments afterward they were joined by Titia Aelia Pecuniosia, the woman in charge of most of the family's business dealings from behind the scenes.

Before Severina could figure out why they'd be here as well, the question was answered.

"Good morning, everybody!" Martius Lovernius entered the packed dirt arena ringed by a wooden fence, both arms raised and an excited look on his face, "In celebration of Agonalia today, I have booked a vast number of fights for your entertainment, perhaps as you shop! While a majority of today's stock will come from the stables of Decimus Mallius Gavros," he gestured towards the Magnii.

Severina looked back and noticed the man sitting on a bench raised right behind them for the first time. After a brief wave to the still-growing crowd, he leaned forward and spoke into Severina's ear.

"I saw who's going to be fighting. I hope you don't waste my investment," Gavros hissed. Severina's head snaps around but he's already seated back, hands up in surrender, "I jest! I jest! You've already put more into keeping the thing alive than I did buying it."

Severina missed the introduction of the other source of the day's gladiators, but Tycho and Tertius caught it. The man was sitting behind the Flavii and had the attention of Titia was Manius Marcius Caelus, a shrewd businessman and rival to the man speaking to Severina.

All their attention was back on the fighting ring. Martius spoke, "Today I have the distinct honor of introducing two new ludii, and it just so happens to be a pair with a relationship we all know very well. I imagine it's why many of you are here this early!"

A portion of the crowd cheered. The Magnus-Flavius feud was going to be a spectacle from this moment forward.

"Today's first fight will be as nonlethal as we can make it. Victory will go to whomever floors their opponent first, or to first blood. Well, if it's significant, anyway!"

The growing number of spectators got a little more riled up.

"Presenting Pardus Magna, brought to us today by the Magnii!" Martius Lovernius announced with a flourish, followed by a less-than-enthusiastic Pardus Magna being shoved into the arena, wooden gladius in hand and cloth wrapping around his waist.

"Presenting Ferreus Secundius Alternis, offered to us as today's entertainment by the Flavii!" Martius flourished yet again, and from the opposite side of the arena came the Flavii's gladiator. He was dressed and equipped exactly as Pardus Magna, but was a little thinner and shorter.

The crowd seemed to be a dead-even split between who they favored, largely based on their proximity to the family in question.

----------------

Pardus Magna squared off with his opponent as a few people in the crowd began to cheer the both of them on. His opponent was quicker on his feet and stepped in with a downward strike, but Pardus parried, sidestepped, and hit Ferreus across the belly as they passed one another. Pardus and Ferreus turned to face one another again, with Pardus launching a strike this time, stabbing for Ferreus' midsection. Ferreus deflected the blow to his right, but barely. Pardus swiped his gladius across Ferreus' midsection again. The gladii clashed and both gladiators pressed into one another.

"This is going to fucking hurt," Ferreus said in perfect Roman.

"Indeed," Pardus responded.

Ferreus launched a knee at Pardus' side and landed a hit, though Pardus seemed completely unphased. Ferreus attempted to follow up with a headbutt, but Pardus used his free hand to block the attack and grasp Ferreus' face. Pardus managed to twist his gladius inside of Ferreus' guard and thrust it forward, grazing his ear as Pardus released his face and slammed his elbow into the opposite side of Ferreus' skull. Pardus sent his dazed opponent backward a few steps with a solid kick to the chest.

As Ferreus tries to recover from the brutal assault he just received, Pardus attempted to gain the crowd's favor. As he raised his arms and got absorbed by the increasingly cheering crowd, he failed to notice Ferreus had stood back up and was charging him. Pardus had spun himself around just in time to see Ferreus coming at him and ducked a wild swing at his head, responding by slapping his gladius across Ferreus' back as he passed by yet again. The impact cracked loud enough for the crowd to let out a single "oof" in unison.

Ferreus fell to the ground writhing in pain and grasping at his back where a massive bruise was already forming. Before Pardus could jump back on his opponent, a trio of spearmen placed themselves between them both before they shackled both gladiators and dragged Ferreus from the arena.

----------------

"And with that, a victor!" Martius Lovernius announced as he entered the arena, "Glory today goes to the Magnii!"

Ferreus seemed impartial to the attention and cheering. Now that the fight was done he didn't really care too much. Severina took note of this. While more time in the arena usually improved a gladiator's draw to the fame and glory, she also wondered if there were ways to speed up the process of acclimatizing a gladiator to the life.

Severina spoke with Martius as the second fight of the day was prepared.

"Your guy was rough out there," he said, "And the crowd loved it. Here's the coin as we negotiated, plus a little bonus for the unannounced surprise opponent. The opportunity was too good to pass up, I hope you understand."

Severina scowled even though she knew she'd have done the same thing, and the coinpurse Martius handed over had more than enough heft to it to lighten her mood, "Yeah, I think I do."

"Well, I'd like to work together some more. And hey, if a business partnership blooms, perhaps I can introduce you to some of my fellow merchants and tradesmen for more, ah, specialized needs."

[+2 Fortune Tokens, +1 Favor Token]

GM Note: While I won't always break down exactly why you got tokens and what benefits you get from things, just so you know that things are actually meaningful I'll be doing so for a couple turns. One fortune token resulted from victory in this fight, while the other came from Severina's perk. The favor token comes from your choice to attend an exhibition, which has Martus feeling obligated to assist you (though this is just fluff, and the token can be used mechanically for anything - it's my responsibility to make sure it fits into the narrative, not you). As you form relationships with people you'll also be told pretty plainly what continued work on said relationship could provide you. Martus could provide connections for goods and equipment, for example. Note that negative relationships can also provide benefits to you, because I took a leaf out of Alpha Protocol's book and it's a fantastic game if you can get past the clunkiness. But I digress.

----------------

Planning Phase II

With a clear victory beneath the Magnii banner, it was obvious, to Severina at least, that they were destined to reach great heights. After all, they'd just won a victory in combat after accidentally desecrating a temple to Mars! Spitting in the face of a god, *their god*, couldn't keep them from success, so what chance did anything else have?

It was time to check out the fresh slave stock and book the next fight. Or fights.

Tullius Antonius Viator was at his usual spot in the forum. Rumors of raids launched from Northern Africa had eventually reached the city's ears, and it seemed as though Tullius' stock reflected that.

"Ah, yes! House Magnus returns! I take it this means you were pleased with your previous purchase?" he inquired as Severina stepped forward.

"It worked out well enough," she said simply, "What do you have on hand today?"

Tullius pointed at and briefly described each slave for sale.

Numidian Captain (Cost: 2 Tokens)
Traits: Numidian, Raider, Ruthless
Technique: 6 (Convertible)
Resilience: 6
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 5
Theatrics: 9
Strength: 9
Equipment: Rags

Libyan Quartermaster (Cost: 1 Token)
Traits: Libyan, Merchant
Technique: 3 (Convertible)
Resilience: 8
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 6
Theatrics: 5
Strength: 6

Gallic Hunter (Cost: 1 Token)
Traits: Gaul, Hunter
Technique: 4 (Convertible)
Resilience: 4
Agility: 9
Intelligence: 5
Theatrics:5
Strength: 6

Roman Beggar (Cost: 1 Token)
Traits: Roman, Homeless
Technique: 6 (Convertible)
Resilience: 6
Agility: 8
Intelligence: 2
Theatrics: 7
Strength: 3

----------------

While Severina dealt with Tullius, Tycho and Tertius went to book the fights.

Back Alley Pit
Fight 1: Unbooked vs Unbooked

Gambling Den (Costs Tokens to Participate)
Fight 2: Booked vs Unbooked Reward: 3x Token Refund
Fight 3: Booked vs Unbooked Reward: 2x Token Refund

Forum Arena
Fight 4: Unbooked vs Unbooked Match Type: Standard

GM Note: Any unbooked positions not filled by one of the teams will be assigned an NPC. You can generally consider prebooked fights as grinding levels before checking if the other team has the balls to face you in an Unbooked fight. Whether or not your opponent is an NPC gladiator will not affect rewards. In order to prevent an issue that occurred last game, I have decided to pair Prebooked fights, so that if both teams try to book the same match the unlucky team still gets a fight, even if it doesn't pay out as much. Rewards are also multiplied by the amount of gladiators you assign to a specific match. You could, for example, assign two gladiators to the Back Alley Pit if you wanted to double your reward while making sure one of your gladiators had to kill another for some reason (and there could be a good reason for that, who knows?) However, if you try to double-book a fight and the other team tried to book it as well, their gladiator will override your second pick.

IT IS NOW THE PLANNING PHASE.

As this is your first true Planning Phase (even though I titled it the second, to keep it consistent with turn number), I'll reiterate that your only decisions this phase are which Gladiators, if any, you'll purchase, and which fights, if any, you'll enter into. All other token expenditure occurs next phase.

Spoiler: Active Family (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Active Flavii (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and Sand - House Magnus (Planning II)
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2020, 04:36:58 am »

I feel very strongly about getting the Nubian Quartermaster. He has excellent base stats, almost on par with the Numidian Captain. If we do buy the Numidian Captain, we should try a gambling den fight.

Terrace Farms
We have made our home in quite the place. Let's take advantage of this natural beauty and expand our games with some terracing to increase the number of people we can feed.

New Taskmaster
Calling on our connections with the army, we will bring one of our old family friends into the fold - a drill leader currently on his way to retirement.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2020, 07:39:03 am »

It's the traits of ruthless and raider I do want to see. And he does have good stats right off the bat. We do need to buy some equipment this phase though, otherwise we might be in some trouble for the fights.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2020, 07:43:32 am »

Yeah, it's the token cost that scares me off there, especially when the quartermaster is very close and one token. Also I highly suspect that ruthless means that he's much more likely to kill his opponent.

Merchant trait sounds cool, too.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2020, 08:06:48 am »

7 points off and with fewer and worse traits means I'm inclined to think the Nubian is worth the price. Unlike that chieftain he would actually be worth the tokens. As for killing? Put him in the seedier venues and that that'll be a draw, not a drawback.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2020, 09:25:52 am »

I really fail to see how the Nubian has worse traits. We have no clue what Merchant does - to me, it sounds an awful lot like more tokens. I agree that the Captain has some decent traits, and Raider sounds cool, but wouldn't you like to have extra tokens to put into better gear and infrastructure?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2020, 04:16:09 pm »

I would like to have more tokens for gear and infrastructure, but in all honesty I'd rather accomplish that by not taking any of the offered slaves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5