Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Blood and Sand - House Flavius (Planning II)  (Read 2572 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and Sand - House Flavius (Action I)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 12:44:30 pm »

Quote from: Romebox
Spend a Fortune Token to purchase the Gallic Hunter: (3) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman
--Name him Lacus: (1) Powder Miner
--No absurd convoluted references that aren't even funny [I want a different name and can't think up one right now]: (1) Madman
Spend a Fame Token to purchase the Gallic Mystic: (0)
Spend a Fame token to purchase the Rome Thief: (3) Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Madman
-Name him Ferreus Secundius Alternis: (2) Powder Miner, Madman
Spend a Favor Token to contract the services of a better Doctore (ideally with specialty in agility -- perhaps a former professional thief who came out of it, uh, not dead): (3) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman
Attend the public exhibition: (2) Powder Miner, Madman
Might as well try and play a bit towards agility. I don't think the name PM has proposed will be doing anything but it's probably a better name than nothing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 04:21:03 pm »

Spend a Fortune Token to purchase the Gallic Hunter: (3) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman
--Name him Lacus: (2) Powder Miner, Piratejoe
--No absurd convoluted references that aren't even funny [I want a different name and can't think up one right now. Also no fun allowed, that leads to losing]: (1) Madman
Spend a Fame token to purchase the Rome Thief: (3) Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Madman
-Name him Ferreus Secundius Alternis: (3) Powder Miner, Madman, Piratejoe
Spend a Favor Token to contract the services of a better Doctore (ideally with specialty in agility -- perhaps a former professional thief who came out of it, uh, not dead): (3) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman
Attend the public exhibition: (2) Powder Miner, Madman
May as well throw in my vote for the names
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 05:19:20 am »

I forgot to vote. MoP was asking for more votes. Thus, votes. I figure the leading options are all fine (which is why I forgot to vote).
Spend a Fortune Token to purchase the Gallic Hunter: (4) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman, NUKE9.13
--Name him Lacus: (3) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13
--No absurd convoluted references that aren't even funny [I want a different name and can't think up one right now.]: (1) Madman
Spend a Fame token to purchase the Rome Thief: (4) Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Madman, NUKE9.13
-Name him Ferreus Secundius Alternis: (4) Powder Miner, Madman, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13
Spend a Favor Token to contract the services of a better Doctore (ideally with specialty in agility -- perhaps a former professional thief who came out of it, uh, not dead): (4) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman, NUKE9.13
Attend the public exhibition: (3) Powder Miner, Madman, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 09:04:05 pm »

Spend a Fortune Token to purchase the Gallic Hunter: (5) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
--Name him Lacus: (4) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
--No absurd convoluted references that aren't even funny [I want a different name and can't think up one right now.]: (1) Madman
Spend a Fame token to purchase the Rome Thief: (5) Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Madman, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
-Name him Ferreus Secundius Alternis: (5) Powder Miner, Madman, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
Spend a Favor Token to contract the services of a better Doctore (ideally with specialty in agility -- perhaps a former professional thief who came out of it, uh, not dead): (5) Powder Miner, Piratejoe, Madman, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
Attend the public exhibition: (4) Powder Miner, Madman, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
[/quote]
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood and Sand - House Flavius (Training I)
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 12:01:26 am »

(The Actual) Action Phase I

Titia took over negotiating with the slave trader, a man by the name of Tullius Antonius Viator. He was a shrewd businessman who'd managed to survive a number of Roman conquests and retire to a small farm plot not far from the city. His lower lip was marred with a jagged scar and drooped to the left side, a relic of his days fighting and rounding up Etruscans who'd avoided slavery and death by fleeing to small unimportant islands. They eventually settled on a price for the Gallic Hunter, but as Titia handed over the coin and Tullius prepared to hand over the slave a smooth, familiar voice spoke up behind the Flavii.

"I had heard you were looking for fighting slaves, and I must say, it seems you have a natural eye for talent!"

Titia turned around and met the gaze of a very well know senator. It was none other than Manius Marcius Caelus. The man was said to possess the blood of Mercury, and his sharp mind and business acumen would lead many to agree. Much like the Flavii, Manius' family was one of means and wealth in large part due to their own hard work. They were easily one of the wealthiest families in the civilized world. Manius had become a senator but had a well-known love of the Games and couldn't resist pouring his own time and money into a ludus of his own. His success has been astounding, and bouts with his gladiators tend to be bloody spectacles worthy of the gods.

"I know you're going to go far, the Flavii are known to succeed wherever they may go. Or fail but only when they desire to. Here," he pulled out a coinpurse, "This should be suitable for those three."

Manius gestured to the Clan Leader, Mystic, and Criminal before looking Titia over, "I want you to keep that one," he gestured once more to the Criminal, "He looks promising and I want to make sure you get a proper start in this bloody business."

"There's no way we could accept such a generous offer," Titia began to respond.

"Nonsense. I'm not asking for anything in return. You're a smart businesswoman. I don't think you'll turn down a free head-start in a new venture. And besides," he smiled, "I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other soon anyway."

The slaves were readied for transport, and Titia, Pyrinikos, and Publius made their way back to the manor.

Gladiator Traits Discovered!
Gaul: +1 Technique (Axe)
Roman: +1 Technique (Short Sword)
Hunter: +1 Technique (Short Bow)
Thief: +1 Agility

[-Fortune Token, -Fame Token]

----------------

Once home, Titia had her work cut out for her overseeing the hiring of a better Doctore for her gladiators. There was a deep pool of candidates to wade through, and it took some time to meet with the most promising, but eventually she weeded the prospects down to one.

The Former Explorator had retired from military service fairly recently after a campaign to the east came to an end. He'd been responsible for traversing and scouting foreign terrain in advance of the legions. His familiarity with combat and his duties as a scout made him a prime candidate for training Flavii Gladiators. It also turned out that this Former Explorator had a debt to another member of the family. An agreement was enthusiastically reached where they would work off the remainder of what was owed, and then they would receive regular payment for their services if they wished to stay on board. With what we were offering, and the size of the debt, it was unlikely they'd ever leave.

[Former Explorator: Replaces Basic Doctore. A scout familiar with combat and maneuvering. All Gladiators gain +1 Agility every Training phase as a result of his drilling. Rolls of 1 get rerolled and added to the 1.

[-Favor Token]

The final task for Titia was setting up a nonlethal fight as a presentation to the public in order to announce the formal entrance of the family into participation of the Games. Luckily for her, there were always people interested in watching a fight, and so it was an easy thing to find someone in the Forum willing to give one of her gladiators a fight in their arena. It would be a nonlethal one-on-one fight with a random opponent, and any sort of entrance fee is waived this one time as the director of business there likes to see new blood.

GM Note: While I won't always give you the rolls that resulted in the outcome of events, I will provide that information during the beginning turns of the game. You asshats rolled a 6 out of 6 for your Doctore.

----------------

It is now the Training Phase.

You will need to distribute the 4d6 Training dice currently available to you among your Gladiators as well as designate which TRAITS are being trained. This is also when you will choose what sort of weapon your Gladiators will begin training with! This will convert their Technique trait to the proper subtrait. Don't worry about specifics regarding weapon variety - if you have an idea of what they'll be training with just state it and they'll get the appropriate tag.

You must also make sure to decide on which Gladiator to place in the fight.

Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:21:20 am by Man of Paper »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and Sand - House Flavius (Training I)
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 12:28:52 am »

Quote from: stylebox
Train Lacus with the Axe: (1) Powder Miner
Train Lacus in Resilience and Strength: (1) Powder Miner

Train Ferreus in the Short Sword: (1) Powder Miner
Train Ferreus in Agility and Theatrics: (1) Powder Miner

Use Ferreus in the exhibition: (1) Powder Miner
With weapons, I just played to strengths (and was especially motivated to give Ferreus a short sword on account of that's what he had last time, and went with an axe for Lacus on account of I think that works with being a STRONG MOTHERFUCKER).

As for the dice -- I waffled a LOT but I think Ferreus can show off REALLY well with ultra high agility and good theatrics, as we're not really worried about him eating an unlucky shot and fucking dying in a training exhibition like this using training weapons and more about looking really good. For Lacus, while Theatrics was tempting, we should probably cover his resilience to make him a swole individual, and then even though we get a malus, strength would go very well with that axe, and it would be really funny to bust a Magnus-style gladiator on them later.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 03:39:39 am »

Technique Choice
Train Lacus with the Axe: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Train Ferreus in the Short Sword: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13

Training Dice (pick 4)
Train Lacus in Resilience: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Train Lacus in Strength: (1) Powder Miner
Train Ferreus in Agility: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Train Ferreus in Theatrics: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Train Ferreus in Resilience: (1) NUKE9.13

Exhibition Gladiator
Use Ferreus in the exhibition: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13

Right, so. Techniques, yes, easy choiches. Training, I prefer also training Ferreus in Resilience, since I worry that with 1 Resilience even training weapons could injure him (probably not kill, but still, better to avoid serious injury). I figure we can train up Lacus more next turn, when he will actually have something to do (presumably).

Also, I'm not sure if MoP wants us to vote for plans piecemeal, or if he'd prefer we vote for entire plans at once. I've done it piecemeal for now.
Long Live United Forenia!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 08:37:12 am »

MoP said he'd prefer voting for plans, so I'mma just make them plans.

Training Plan Powder:
Train Lacus in Resilience (1d6)
Train Lacus in Strength (1d6)
Train Ferreus in Agility (1d6)
Train Ferreus in Theatrics (1d6)

Training Plan Nuke:
Train Lacus in Resilience (1d6)
Train Ferreus in Agility (1d6)
Train Ferreus in Theatrics (1d6)
Train Ferreus in Resilience (1d6)

Technique Choice
Train Lacus with the Axe: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Train Ferreus in the Short Sword: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13

Training Dice (pick 4)
Training Plan Powder (1): Powder Miner
Training Plan Nuke (2): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf

Exhibition Gladiator
Use Ferreus in the exhibition: (3) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 09:28:42 am »

Technique Choice
Train Lacus with the Axe: (3) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Madman
Train Ferreus in the Short Sword: (3) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Madman

Training Dice (pick 4)
Training Plan Powder (1): Powder Miner
Training Plan Nuke (3): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman

Exhibition Gladiator
Use Ferreus in the exhibition: (4) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 12:42:13 pm »

Technique Choice
Train Lacus with the Axe: (3) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Madman
Train Ferreus in the Short Sword: (3) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Madman

Training Dice (pick 4)
Training Plan Powder (0):
Training Plan Nuke (4): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman, Powder Miner

Exhibition Gladiator
Use Ferreus in the exhibition: (4) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 11:26:48 am »

Technique Choice
Train Lacus with the Axe: (4) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Madman, Piratejoe
Train Ferreus in the Short Sword: (4) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Madman, Piratejoe

Training Dice (pick 4)
Training Plan Powder (0):
Training Plan Nuke (5): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman, Powder Miner, Piratejoe

Exhibition Gladiator
Use Ferreus in the exhibition: (5) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman, Piratejoe
Very easy choices...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood and Sand - House Flavius (Planning II)
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:32 pm »

Training Phase I

Everything has a beginning. That's what Titia Aelia Pecuniosia told herself as he watched the only two gladiators her family owned train against opposite sides of a striking post. The Explorator in charge of their training barked with every movement - this one's footing is wrong, that one's got a limp wrist...these men could kill, sure, but they weren't yet killers. Men are machines of war however, and it didn't take too long for the vigorous training to take effect.

She took note of some change in Lacus, the Hunter:
Technique > Technique (Axe)
Resilience: 2 > 4
Agility: 5 > 6

She also saw improvements in Ferreus Secundius Alternis, the Thief:
Technique > Technique (Short Sword)
Resilience: 1 > 4
Agility: 6 > 10
Theatrics: 5 > 8

The planned exhibition day was soon upon the Flavii. A small group left for the city with Ferreus Secundius Alternis, the Thief in tow. They made it to the forum arena without issue.

----------------

The Games I

Titia met with Martius Lovernius, the owner of the shop that the arena was built behind while Pyrinikos and Publius took care of getting Ferreus Secundius Alternis set for his match. They were going to be the opening fight - nothing too lethal or exciting, but just enough to get a crowd interested, to get the blood pumping. While not everybody basked in the sight of death, a true Roman couldn't help but watch two people beat the piss out of one another for sport.

After Martinus and Titia discussed the terms of the fight once more, she made her way into the wooden stands where a crowd had gathered - a fairly large crowd for the first fight of the day. Pyrinikos and Publius were glaring across the fighting grounds at the stands opposite them. Tycho Flavius Vulpus and Tertius Avitus Cato, two dirty, overrated, undereducated members of the Magnii House, were sat staring right back. On the bench raised behind them sat Severina Caecilia Sabina, the woman in charge of most of the family's business dealings from behind the scenes.

Before Titia could figure out why they'd be here as well, the question was answered.

"Good morning, everybody!" Martius Lovernius entered the packed dirt arena ringed by a wooden fence, both arms raised and an excited look on his face, "In celebration of Agonalia today, I have booked a vast number of fights for your entertainment, perhaps as you shop! While a majority of today's stock will come from the stables of Decimus Mallius Gavros," he gestured towards the Magnii, where a burly man sat whispering into Severina's ear, "And Manius Marcius Caelus," this time Martius gestured behind the Flavii. As Titia turned and saw who had taken a seat behind her, he stood, waved, and smiled at the crowd before sitting and addressing her.

"I saw who they've got ready to fight back. You'd best not squander my investment," Caelus spoke just loudly enough for Titia to hear him. Her face quickly dropped into a scowl, "I'm just kidding!" he quickly added, "You've put more time and resources into it than I have, by far. That means you can't blame me if you lose, either."

Titia's attention was pulled from Caelus as Martius introduced the fighters.

"Today I have the distinct honor of introducing two new ludii, and it just so happens to be a pair with a relationship we all know very well. I imagine it's why many of you are here this early!"

A portion of the crowd cheered. The Flavius-Manius feud was going to be a spectacle from this moment forward.

"Today's first fight will be as nonlethal as we can make it. Victory will go to whomever floors their opponent first, or to first blood. Well, if it's significant, anyway!"

The growing number of spectators got a little more riled up.

"Presenting Pardus Magna, brought to us today by the Magnii!" Martius Lovernius announced with a flourish, followed by the less-than-enthusiastic Magnii gladiator being shoved into the arena. He was armed with a wooden gladius and had a cloth wrapped around his waist.

"Presenting Ferreus Secundius Alternis, offered to us as today's entertainment by the Flavii!" Martius flourished yet again, and from the opposite side of the arena came the Ferreus Secundis Alternis. He was dressed and equipped exactly as Pardus Magna, but was a little thinner and shorter.

The crowd seemed to be a dead-even split between who they favored, largely based on their proximity to the family in question.

----------------

Ferreus Secundius Alternis squared off with his opponent as a few people in the crowd began to cheer the both of them on. He was quicker on his feet and stepped in with a downward strike, but Pardus parried, sidestepped, and hit Ferreus across the belly as they passed one another. Pardus and Ferreus turned to face one another again, with Pardus launching a strike this time, stabbing for Ferreus' midsection. Ferreus deflected the blow to his right, but barely. Pardus swiped his gladius across Ferreus' midsection again. The gladii clashed and both gladiators pressed into one another.

"This is going to fucking hurt," Ferreus said.

"Indeed," Pardus responded in Roman.

Ferreus launched a knee at Pardus' side and landed a hit, though Pardus seemed completely unphased. Ferreus attempted to follow up with a headbutt, but Pardus used his free hand to block the attack and grasp Ferreus' face. Pardus managed to twist his gladius inside of Ferreus' guard and thrust it forward, grazing his ear as Pardus released his face and slammed his elbow into the opposite side of Ferreus' skull. Pardus sent his dazed opponent backward a few steps with a solid kick to the chest.

As Ferreus tried to recover from the brutal assault he just received, Pardus attempted to gain the crowd's favor. The crowd began to cheer louder as Ferreus shook his head clear and recovered, launching an attack as Pardus had his back turned. Pardus had spun himself around just in time to see Ferreus coming at him and ducked a wild swing at his head, responding by slapping his gladius across Ferreus' back as he passed by yet again. The impact cracked loud enough for the crowd to let out a single "oof" in unison.

Ferreus fell to the ground writhing in pain and grasping at his back where a massive bruise was already forming. Before Pardus could jump back on his opponent, a trio of spearmen placed themselves between them both before they shackled both gladiators and dragged Ferreus from the arena.

----------------

"And with that, a victor!" Martius Lovernius announced as he entered the arena, "Glory today goes to the Magnii!"

Titia had already left her seat. It was best if they left as soon as they could. Letting the Magnii gloat in their faces would just make them look weaker. No, it was best to save a little face and look cowardly now, then level the scales at a later date.

Titia spoke with Martius as the second fight of the day was prepared.

"Your guy was roughed up out there," he said, "And the crowd loved it. While we didn't negotiate for payment upon losing, your fight brought in so much attention that I'm already seeing today's sales skyrocket. Here, I hope you understand the surprise opponent was the best business decision for me."

Titia scowled even though she knew she'd have done the same thing, and the coinpurse Martius handed over had more than enough heft to it to lighten her mood, "Yeah, I think I do."

"Well, I know the reputation of the Flavii pretty well, and I'd like to work together some more. Hey, if a business partnership blooms, perhaps I can introduce you to some of my fellow merchants and tradesmen for more, ah, specialized needs."

[+1 Fortune Token, +1 Favor Token]

GM Note: While I won't always break down exactly why you got tokens and what benefits you get from things, just so you know that things are actually meaningful I'll be doing so for a couple turns. The Fortune Token is a pity gift since you lost your tutorial fight. The Favor Token is the result of choosing to do the public exhibition, and represents Martius' desire to pay you back for the boon to business your fight provided. (though this is just fluff, and the token can be used mechanically for anything - it's my responsibility to make sure it fits into the narrative, not you). As you form relationships with people you'll also be told pretty plainly what continued work on said relationship could provide you. Martus could provide connections for goods and equipment, for example. Note that negative relationships can also provide benefits to you, because I took a leaf out of Alpha Protocol's book and it's a fantastic game if you can get past the clunkiness. But I digress.

----------------

Planning Phase II

With a clear loss in the Flavii books it was obvious, to Titia at least, that they couldn't just stop there. After all, they'd just taken a beating in their first outing to their rivals. If anything it could be the start of a great underdog story! With so much invested in the endeavor already, what other choice did they have?

It was time to check out the fresh slave stock and book the next fight. Or fights.

Tullius Antonius Viator was at his usual spot in the forum. Rumors of raids launched from Northern Africa had eventually reached the city's ears, and it seemed as though Tullius' stock reflected that.

"Ah, yes! House Flavius returns! I take it this means you were pleased with your previous purchase?" he inquired as Titia stepped forward.

"No, but it's not like you left us with much in the way of choice," she said simply as she gestured at the Forum devoid of all other slave traders, since Tullius had a tendency to buy them out immediately.

His face twisted into an ugly smile, "No, I guess I haven't."

"What do you have on hand today?"

Tullius pointed at and briefly described each slave for sale.

Libyan Captain (Cost: 2 Tokens)
Traits: Libyan, Raider, Ruthless
Technique: 11 (Convertible)
Resilience: 6
Agility: 5
Intelligence: 8
Theatrics: 7
Strength: 11
Equipment: Rags

Roman Priestess of Ceres (Cost: 2 Tokens)
Traits: Roman, Priest, Female
Technique: 7 (Convertible)
Resilience: 3
Agility: 3
Intelligence: 12
Theatrics: 11
Strength: 6

Numidian Quartermaster (Cost: 1 Token)
Traits: Numidian, Merchant
Technique: 5 (Convertible)
Resilience: 7
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 7
Theatrics: 4
Strength: 7

Gallic Farmer (Cost: 1 Token)
Traits: Gaul, Farmer
Technique: 5 (Convertible)
Resilience: 11
Agility: 8
Intelligence: 3
Theatrics: 8
Strength: 8

----------------

While Titia dealt with Tullius, Pyrinikos and Publius went to book the fights.

Back Alley Pit
Fight 1: Unbooked vs Unbooked

Gambling Den (Costs Tokens to Participate)
Fight 2: Booked vs Unbooked Reward: 3x Token Refund
Fight 3: Booked vs Unbooked Reward: 2x Token Refund

Forum Arena
Fight 4: Unbooked vs Unbooked Match Type: Standard

GM Note: Any unbooked positions not filled by one of the teams will be assigned an NPC. You can generally consider prebooked fights as grinding levels before checking if the other team has the balls to face you in an Unbooked fight. Whether or not your opponent is an NPC gladiator will not affect rewards. In order to prevent an issue that occurred last game, I have decided to pair Prebooked fights, so that if both teams try to book the same match the unlucky team still gets a fight, even if it doesn't pay out as much. Rewards are also multiplied by the amount of gladiators you assign to a specific match. You could, for example, assign two gladiators to the Back Alley Pit if you wanted to double your reward while making sure one of your gladiators had to kill another for some reason (and there could be a good reason for that, who knows?) However, if you try to double-book a fight and the other team tried to book it as well, their gladiator will override your second pick.

IT IS NOW THE PLANNING PHASE.

As this is your first true Planning Phase (even though I titled it the second, to keep it consistent with turn number), I'll reiterate that your only decisions this phase are which Gladiators, if any, you'll purchase, and which fights, if any, you'll enter into. All other token expenditure occurs next phase.

Spoiler: Active Family (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Active Magnii (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:56:37 am by Man of Paper »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and Sand - House Flavius (Planning II)
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 11:14:09 pm »

So, after our whirlwind discussion in the Discord, which Magnus doesn't have because we're cool and Magnus drools and MoP can tell them I said that, I came to proposing this plan:

Purchase the Priestess of Ceres (so we can have MAGIC FIGHTS, because of that BEAUTIFUL THEATRICS SCORE, and being able to use her abilities to laugh at the farming of Magnus) with a Fortune token and a Favor Token, because I think that this is the best way to improve relationship with Lanius -- give him actual monetary shit, but still play on the relationship. (If we can get fights to majorly expand (or if a Carthaginian Spy shows up) I might want to go to four gladiators later, or more.)
Pay into the 2x Gambling fight with a Fate Token because it seems to me to be the most secure fight to bet into and I want to have 2 fate tokens so we can use one fate token to start getting more fate tokens and use the other to do fate token shit
Pay into the 3x Gambling fight with a Fame Token since I don't really have any other specific objectives besides getting into the fight and hopefully winning
Invest a Fortune token into our Ludus to make it materially more comfortable so we can make our gladiators happier and use them more effectively out of and potentially even in battle
Invest 2x Favor tokens into creating a pair of relationships, one with an armorer and one with a weaponsmith, since having relationships with gear-makers would be nice. (We could also use one of these tokens with Martius for him to be our weapon merchant, though I DO want to make a separate armorer because I want to really go in with high-quality and fashionable armor later)
Invest the remaining Fame token into either even better gear or into making our Ludus even better, depending on how votes go next turn. (I want to focus it into our armor, because we will have poor Resilience in all of our gladiators unless we POUR dice into resilience and potentially even then (remember that our training penalty is in Resilience)!)

As for our fights I want to put:
Lacus into the 2x payoff Gambling fight, since I view it as probably being the least difficult fight and I don't think we can afford to chad him out currently.
Ferreus into the 3x payoff Gambling fight since he is a decent gladiator but if we buy the priestess, he WON'T be the one with the highest stat total, unless she can't meaningfully use her intelligence in combat, in which case her combat stat total is STILL one more than his, god damn it Ferreus. ARMOR HIM.
The Priestess of Ceres into the Forum fight since I expect Magnus to put their Roidman into one of the two Unbooked vs Unbooked fights; they're probably confident they can beat us. ARMOR HER TOO. Actually, if we use two dice, then we can buy a specific piece of decent quality armor for each of Ferreus and the Priestess.

As far as this all actually goes for this turn's actions

Plan PTHHABBBIPSM (Powder Thinks He Has A Big Brain But Is Probably Sadly Mistaken)

Use a Fortune Token and a Favor token to purchase the Roman Priestess of Ceres from Tullius, which in this case means providing him with a genuine monetary payment for her so we're not just stiffing him and pissing him off, but also lean into implications that we do want to forge a more meaningful relationship with him than just one-off purchases.
Place the Priestess of Ceres into the Forum Arena fight
Use a Fate Token to buy Lacus into the Gambling Den fight with 2x Payoff.
Use a Fame Token to buy Ferreus Secundius Alternis into the Gambling Den fight with 3x Payoff.

Quote from: Votebox
Plan PTHHABBBIPSM: (1) Powder Miner
Name the Priestess of Ceres Aurelia Lutus Incantatora: (1) Powder Miner

(Aurelia is "golden", because haha grain, Incantatora is basically spellcaster with an a on an end because she's female, so she's a grain wizard, and Lutus is a poor farmer family gens, but not in real history, those with good memory may realize I'm being a shitter here)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:26:20 am by Powder Miner »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2020, 11:41:47 pm »

I say we go for the Gallic Farmer. He has really good stats for his price. I think if we get him we should try and max out his resilience and strength seeing as they are already high.
Plan BPPBWAF (Basically Powder’s Plan, But With A Farmer)
Use a Fate Token to buy Lacus into the Gambling Den fight with 2x Payoff.
Use a Fame Token to buy Ferreus Secundius Alternis into the Gambling Den fight with 3x Payoff.
Use a Fortune Token to buy the Gallic Farmer, and save the Favor Token
Plan PTHHABBBIPSM: (1) Powder Miner
Name the Priestess of Ceres Aurelia Lutus Incantatora: (1) Powder Miner
Plan BPPBWAF: (1) Chaoskl21
Name the Gallic Farmer, Grumio: (1) Chaoskl21

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 12:29:04 am »

The farmer's stat total IS pretty good for price, but I'm much more interested in the Priestess for two reasons:
A: gotta get them THEATRICS, given that we're Flavius and the 11 theatrics on the Priestess is really just fantastic
B: importantly, we're not touching the magical qualities of the setting at all yet, but with the Priestess being a Priestess and having 12 Intelligence, she's just a FANTASTIC way to get into that. Plus, as Ceres is the goddess of grain and agriculture, we can probably get a fair amount of out-of-battle utility from her as well. In fact, she's probably going to end up paying for herself -- we can probably use her to augment our food output, and extra food can be sold for tokens.
Pages: 1 [2] 3