Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [44.12] Meph's ☼Warlock Tower☼ - V1 - Be more evil!  (Read 24216 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
[44.12] Meph's ☼Warlock Tower☼ - V1 - Be more evil!
« on: January 07, 2020, 06:52:06 am »

::: Current version 1.0 - Includes dfhack, Meph tileset and utilities :::

::: If you like the content I produce and enjoy the mod, consider buying me a coffee on Patreon. :::

Warlocks:

This mod allows you to play as evil warlocks, specializing in necromancy and raising hell. Dwarves, elves and humans might still visit, but in force and with an army, to bring down your evil empire.

Warlocks play like dwarves, so you should feel right at home, yet there are changes to the economy of the game:
 - No migrants! Start with 13 warlocks, and create ghouls, skeletons or raise apprentices from other races.
 - No reqular caravans. You want to trade, call traders manually.
 - Metals? Mostly unimportant, make your iron and steel-alternatives from bones, ash and blood. It's a renewable resource, too!
 - Souls. Butchering creatures give you a soul, main ingredient for any magic. Either hunt or keep a pen of prisoners to harvest.
 - Alcohol isn't needed, but you can brew magic potions.
 - Magic. Who needs archers if you have an army of skeletons, with some fireball-throwing warlocks behind them?

To ease you into the mod, I included a large cheat-sheet image, but I'll break it down here into detail.

Nobles:
Nobles are slightly changed and consolidated into fewer positions.

The Overlord! - Your military leader, responsible for conquest and appointing captains and sergeants. He can lead a squad of 100 units. (Militia captain)

Death, Hunger, Pestilence and War - Your captains; each a 1-man squad. Pick powerful Warlocks with magic abilities. Helps separating fire-mages from the army, or ordering your vampire-warlock into solitary confinement. (Militia captain)

Crypt Lords - Your standard militia sergeants. (Militia captain)

Mistress of Pain - Female-only whip-using sheriff and executioner. (Sheriff, Hammerer)

Fleshmonger - Mends flesh, cares for your wounded. (Chief Medical Dwarf)

Keeper of Knowledge - Manages your treasures, trades and keeps your books. (Manager, Trader, Bookkeeper)

Steward - Stoic and calm, runs the daily tower necessities. (Expedition leader, mayor)

Sorcerer Supreme - The ruler of all Warlocks. (Monarch, King/Queen)

Shady Merchant - In case you need a caravan... (Trader)

Emissary - Keep in contact with other Warlock towers. (Liaison, Diplomat)

Pets:
Warlocks keep different pets, mostly prisoners, monsters, magical helpers or creatures you create yourself in your fort.

Prisoners - Your main food, skin and soul source. Get them at embark or order some from the caravans.

Mephits - Little mischievous flying imps with elemental powers. Station them wisely.

Gargoyles - Stationary constructions that attack with special powers. Build them in your masonry, pasture, wait for helpless heroes.

Elemental Men - Matter brought to live by magic. Basic melee pets.

Snakes - Who needs poultry if you can farm snake eggs and poison?

Giant insects - Make good guards, with poison to boot. What's not to love?

Ravens and crows - Your eyes in the sky.

Materials:
Warlocks only get a few new materials, mostly decorational or replacements for metals.

Ethereal - Color-coded furniture and construction blocks. Warlocks summon those free of charge, manual labor is optional for powerful wizards.

Bonemold, Bloodsteel and Soulforged metals. Make iron-grade bonemold (bone + ash), upgrade it to bloodsteel (bonemold + ash + blood) or even refine it further by adding valuable souls (bloodsteel + soul) to make soulforged metal, twice as good as regular steel.

Mushrooms - You have access to ten new shrooms to grow in your farms; use them to brew potions or poisons. Check the workshops ingame to see the individual effects. Potions add temporary buffs to your Warlocks, while poisons are used to cover weapons and ammo.

Bone furniture and constructions - Be environmentally friendly and use up everything!

Obsidian furniture and constructions - Because every good evil dungeon needs more spikes.

Slade furniture and constructions - Don't kink-shame demons. With magma-access you can create your own slade.

Workshops:
Now comes the truly interesting part, your new workshops and furnaces.

Aether Gate - A magic portal that summons free building materials, color-coded for your convenience. If you play with animations on (twbt redraw_all 1), these are glowing.

Obsidian & Slade Factories - Simple mass production of obsidian or slade blocks, boulders and furniture. Requires magma.

Liaison's Office - Offer a soul to lure a goblin or warlock caravan to your tower.

Bone Carver & Forge - Create blocks, furniture, weapons or armor from the bones of your enemies!

Corrupted Forge - Grind up bones for flux, or mix with ash, blood and souls for the new metals described above. Iron-grade, Steel-grade, Better-than-steel-grade.

Gargoyle Mason - Get rid of spare boulders, add a sprinkle of magic ingredients, and voila! A new gargoyle guardian arises. Pasture for them as immobile defences around the fort.

Alchemists - Potion brewing for buffing "alcohol" drinks; poison brewing to cover weapons, traps or ammo; transmutation of metals. Use the poison vat to apply poison to items.

Magic Altars - Soul-based workshops. Once you have enough servants, use souls to power up your units, create elemental men, start strange moods, spawn water or magma, control the weather, raise the dead... and more!

Necromantic Shrines - Soul-based workshops. Use souls to raise corpses as mindless undead, summon imps to do your bidding; or bring the souls of dwarves, kobolds, elves, humans or goblins to be raised as your servants! Create ghouls, skeletons or even resurrect them as warlock apprentices!

Credits: Mod content by me; - Sprites by me, Vordak (Special thanks for allowing me to use your work once more. :) ), Redshrike and Denzi.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:04:23 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [44.12] Meph's ☼Warlock Tower☼ - V1 - Be more evil!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:54:41 am »

I'll leave this mod with the community, hopefully you have some fun with it before the villains release. :) It's for those that can't wait to have a bit of evil in their fort. I worked on this for quite a while, but never released it earlier, because the dfhack spawn-creature script sometimes crashes the game. Sadly, there hasn't been any fix yet, so I added a quicksave reaction to each workshop that spawns units. Just run it to be extra save.

I'll head out on an extended hike/outdoor trip today, I'll check in occasionally, but I won't be able to do any other releases for a while, since I only have my phone with me, no laptop etc.

This is an early release, I wish I had more time to test longer forts. If you encounter weird balancing issues, let me know. :)

Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:13:02 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Datura

• Bay Watcher
  • Klaatu! Barada! Hrmhrmhrm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:32:33 am »

This looks AWESOME !

Great work, as usual  ;)

I can only guess how many hours it took to create such a complete, game-changing, mod  :o

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 02:24:06 pm »

Amazing work!!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 02:43:05 pm »

A nice suprise, i like the liason office particularly. I could have sworn that wasn't in the previous iteration.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 04:40:40 pm »

A ptw. Loved these guys.

A nice surprise, I like the liaison office particularly. I could have sworn that wasn't in the previous iteration.

You're probably thinking of  the Emissary workshop. It called migrants directly and incited sieges, rather than call caravans though.

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 08:07:24 pm »

Is this playable with ascii? I always use ascii, tilesets have always been fuckin' weird to me.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 10:44:30 pm »

Oooh, nice to see the updated Warlock mode! I was just thinking that I should play some DF again, and then this drops right afterward.

It'll be nice messing with Warlock things now that the finnicky Pylon system is gone. I'm especially excited about the Gargoyles, to make pretty statue gardens that double as hilarious deathtraps.

I can only guess how many hours it took to create such a complete, game-changing, mod  :o

There was actually a devlogy thing detailed the creation of the original Warlock mode. It was quite fun to read, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I think it took about a month to make that version.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 11:57:48 pm »

I've been enjoying this so far, but the nobles are way too fucking demanding. Setting up all their rooms has been hell.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 12:25:17 am »

I've been enjoying this so far, but the nobles are way too fucking demanding. Setting up all their rooms has been hell.

I've found it's even worse if you  play a more surface-centric set up or just have a slow-burn style of play.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 11:37:53 am »

I've mostly been using imps for labour in the first year and god they're whiny. The big one is that they want clothes and don't spawn with clothes, which stresses them out really bad. They're dirt cheap so I've just been entombing them alive once they start really losing it, but it feels like there should be a better way. Besides making the little drama queens clothes that is, no way am I spending precious cloth on imps.

I've found it's even worse if you  play a more surface-centric set up or just have a slow-burn style of play.

Yeah I just haven't been naming any nobles besides the steward. My preferred style of "make EVERYTHING out of ethereal matter" does not produce very high value accommodations either so the steward's been slumming it in meager quarters and being yelled at by imps in his meagre office for about a year now. He's actually taking it surprisingly well so far though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 02:10:18 pm »

It's a bit intentional. With undead servants, it's hard to lose the game, so I added nobles that whine (ignore it and you might eventually lose an important civ members), and imps that use up your leather (there are currently no other uses for it) on purpose.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 04:14:12 pm »

I've mostly been using imps for labour in the first year and god they're whiny. The big one is that they want clothes and don't spawn with clothes, which stresses them out really bad. They're dirt cheap so I've just been entombing them alive once they start really losing it, but it feels like there should be a better way. Besides making the little drama queens clothes that is, no way am I spending precious cloth on imps.
My preferred style of "make EVERYTHING out of ethereal matter" does not produce very high value accommodations either so the steward's been slumming it in meager quarters and being yelled at by imps in his meagre office for about a year now. He's actually taking it surprisingly well so far though.

Word to the wise slaves are incredibly valuable for making your fortress food, souls and occasional contribution to crafts and furniture with bones that'll help boost valuations via a dedicated cook & craftworker warlock to produce quality goods to trade at the liason for goods like leather in bulk at the caravan.

1. Humans - Largest slaves, hence more meat and bones.
2. Dwarves - Most industrially useful, compared to a dwarf you might be unlucky enough to meet in a siege on modded regular DF, they're not as gregariously fat at invader dwarves chopped up but they have plenty of bones, meat and i can't remember if they drop hair.
3. Elves - Lean alternative when you're at full human capacity since they are larger than dwarves, have the benefit of being immortal
4. Goblins - Might be better use to make these guys trainable, lowest end of the scale for production but they are also immortal.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 04:44:56 pm »

4. Goblins - Might be better use to make these guys trainable, lowest end of the scale for production but they are also immortal.

If we wanted to further push the evilness, could use slave soldiers as an option as well and have them run on the plump helmet man mechanics: gotta keep them intimidated or they'll rebel.

They'd be entitled to better treatment compared to regular cattle-slaves of course - as in they won't get murdered and used to feed the ghouls and imps and they get to wear clothes again! Such kindness from thier warlock masters! - but they come with all the drawbacks of regular people (need food and drink, sleep, and potentially actually very shitty at fighting depending on thier stats,) and none of the magical abilities.

Would be more useful than sending them into a fight barehanded, but it'd likely need some means of turning a prisoner into an '[insert race] war thrall' creature or something. Would be nice to have the option of a different flavor of evilness though. But then again, it'd be more of a novelty or roleplay option to include it at all.

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 02:13:28 pm »

I'm not sure if it's an intended behaviour...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PD: Wonderful mod.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5