Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (9/?) - TURN 1  (Read 8516 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
The Republic - Rule a space nation! (9/?) - TURN 1
« on: January 04, 2020, 01:23:29 pm »

The Republic is a game centered around the Politics of a space-faring human colony. Players will play as representatives of the different parties and with time, colonies, and can influence the laws of the state as they see fit, provided they get a majority.

It is the year 2400, and after long trials and tribulations, the first extra-solar colony of humanity is ready to step back into the sea of stars to find its place and to (hopefully) reconnect with Earth after a long period of silence since the system that was colonized has entered a shadow of a large nebula that has obscured direct connection with the mother planet.
The Republic is the overall government of the united colony. From the moment of the initiation, the Assembly/ Colonial Senate is free to make laws, decisions and arranging of the colony and other worlds in the future.

At the start, the colony is held to abide by certain basic liberties, afforded to everyone as stated by UN Charter (including rule of law, democratic government and universal suffrage), but as politics and situations change, so will those as well, again depending on how well you are able to steer the politics of the state.

See for rules below:

Unless specified, all rolls are based on opposed d20, with higher figure beating the lower.

The government is compromised of the Speaker, the Senators and the Representatives.
The Chancellor/Speaker will always be incorporated by me, he is just there for the Organizational elements and anything related to GMing at the start. He might get eventually replaced with a player once the state grows and rules/constitution are changed.
The Senators are Representatives sent by the Colonies with actual voting power. They also get elected by the Capital planet based on their party support at the start and might get to spread their parties/ideologies to other colonies to retain support.
The Representatives
Are Players who have applied for the Game but have not yet received a Colony/seat. Representatives appear once Senatorships are all taken up and there are no party slots/colonies available to be taken. Representatives can still speak in the Senate however if they abuse their right they can be banned by Impeachment through the Senate.
Votes in the Senate will be anonymous and done via pm. I will set deadlines for votes to advance the game, players who do not vote will automatically set to abstain. If you want to abstain please PM me anyway so you don't hold up the entire game.

Spoiler:  Detailed Rules (click to show/hide)

Signup sheet
Name:
Physical description:
Bio:
Assets: ($10 million or either a lvl1 business in an industry of your choice (max 3 at start), or political party leader(max 5 parties))
Political party/business description:
Allegiance: (if joining someone else's party).
Skills: a starting +1 to any 1 of the following: charisma, administration, subterfuge, military talent, scientific prowess, business acumen)

Applications are to be submitted into OOC thread.

If you are a clever person, you will notice I have not named the planet. That is up to you, dear players, once we begin the game!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:57:08 pm by Ardas »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (0/?)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 02:36:12 pm »

Name: Zacharie Elsen
Physical description: Moderately tall, with well-maintained red hair. Usually found wearing a nice but simple long-sleeved white collared shirt (the sleeves typically rolled up halfway to his elbows) and black slacks, though can be seen in more formal clothing should the situation call for it (such outfits always include a nice hat). Has grey eyes and is clean-shaven.
Bio: Zacharie is 29 years old, and the second son of a reasonably wealthy owner of a consulting company. While his older sister was expected to inherit their father's business, Zacharie was more interested in the world around him, and specifically how it was run. Practically eating up the news each day, he developed political ideas of his own, and ended up studying political science and law at university. Though he is not the most eloquent of speakers, he has developed his ability to make and convey his plans, believing he can win people over with logic and demonstration of his abilities.
Assets: Head of the Polaris party
Political party description:
 - Regulated free market
 - Staunchly anti-corruption
 - Protection of people's rights
 - Prefer diplomacy to military
 - Encourage research
 - Colony autonomy
 - Social spending above police spending
Allegiance: North Star
Skills: +1 administration

Here's Zacharie Elsen. He's rather of an optimist.
Can I get some details on our starting position? Are we all at the capital right now, or can some of us be from colonies? Are there any colonies yet? You said we're in 2400, but we're also cut off from Earth, and you said we're stepping back into the sea of stars; what's our tech level? Are there different tech levels for colonies at different levels of establishment, and if so, what are they? Etc., so on, and such forth.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:30:41 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 02:50:06 pm »

Yes, so, the tech level is early space faring, so we have good sub-light abilities, and we can get to other nearby stars with a travel time of year or two. There will be some technological progress but most of it will be development of of existing tech as opposed to large breakthroughs.

At the moment the capital planet is all we have and all people will be starting there, the idea is to get colonizing other planets. If you ever saw it or played it, this is more or less the same as in the game "Mandate" that was run by Ghazkull.

Our planet is a self-sustaining world of some 3.5 billion people and we are left to our own devices after contact with Earth (relatively spare as it was) was lost and the colonial government decided to step up.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 02:51:48 pm »

If you ever saw it or played it, this is more or less the same as in the game "Mandate" that was run by Ghazkull.
...I will be frank with you, I am rather distrustful of more or less anything involving Ghaz after the disaster with Pantheon IV.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 03:47:30 pm »

Well, this game is run by yours truly, with "Mandate" serving merely as an inspiration, not an outright copypaste of it.

As for your character, you are in.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 03:50:07 pm »

Well, this game is run by yours truly, with "Mandate" serving merely as an inspiration, not an outright copypaste of it.

As for your character, you are in.
Alright, good to hear it. I've been trying to get some others to join this; at the very least, expect Roboson.
Do you want a channel for this in my forum games Discord? I can also put an invite in here if you'd like.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 03:51:47 pm »

Let's see how many people will bite, I can open a discord for this once I'm sure of the player numbers.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (1/?)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 04:59:51 pm »

Name: Chloe Labell
Bio: Chloe Labell is young enough female, she obtained phd in Mechanical Engineering and masters in material sciences. She founded her company Prominence Conglomerate with moderate success and has decide as of last year to run for senator. Chloe has short stature with slightly palish skin hue due to spending too much time in doors due to researching or working on some new project, her eyes generally show clear indicate of lack of sleep most of time, when shes in office she has her auburn hair braided to maintain apperance. She usually wears a black tattered one piece when not in her lab. Chloe usually hard working excepting most out of others she commands her company not through charisma or acumen for business but for sheer passion for work alone. She plans are to push heavily for research and Mining type policies.
Assets: Head of Prominence Conglomerate(Level 1)
Mixture of shipbuilding, astromining as well as courier based services in between.

Business Description:
Prominence Conglomerate was founded just early on during rush for private sector investment into ship building due to shortcomings run by government own program as of late it has somewhat moderate success if you could call it that, Prominence built it early first ship as means of securing Mining resources in order to develop their ships which would later come down the line, as for courier service that was natural development that would follow up later as company took off. It goal is secure a means of shortening timespan of spaceflight and development of newer materials.

Allegiance: None as of yet to any party(Waiting till theirs more to decide upon one to join.)
Skills: +1 Scientific Prowess

Named after Solar Prominence, we here at the company will reach out toward the stars!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:30:06 pm by flazeo25 »

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 05:07:03 pm »

We all know it will come down to conquest.

Spoiler: add me to the list! (click to show/hide)

"On behalf of Lander.inc, we welcome you to an opportunity of a lifetime! Do not be afraid! The first Planet Rush begins!" - One of the ads of the late colony rush era.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:57:05 pm by Rahx »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 05:10:43 pm »

Name: Chloe Labell
Bio: Chloe Labell is 28 year old female, she obtained phd in Mechanical Engineering and masters in physics. She founded her company Prominence Conglomerate just over three years ago with moderate success and has decide as of last year to run for senator. Chloe has short stature with slightly palish skin hue due to spending too much time in doors due to researching or working on some new project, her eyes generally show clear indicate of lack of sleep most of time, when shes in office she has her auburn hair braided to maintain apperance. She usually wears a black tattered one piece when not in her lab. Chloe usually hard working excepting most out of others she commands her company not through charisma or acumen for bussiness but for sheer passion for work alone. She plans are to push heavily for research policies.
Assets: Head of Prominence Conglomerate(Level 1)
Business Description:
 -Builds early space faring ships and parts. 
 -Also runs as a courier service delivering package and supplies.
 -Goal is to one day build a ship capable of shortening timespan of space travel between any potential colony.
Allegiance: None as of yet to any party(Waiting till theirs more to decide upon one to join.)
Skills: +1 Scientific Prowess
We all know it will come down to conquest.

Spoiler: add me to the list! (click to show/hide)

On behalf of Lander.inc, we welcome you to an opportunity of a lifetime! Do not be afraid! The first Planet Rush begins!
...well then.
Rahx, I take it you've been working on this for more than 8 minutes?

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 05:18:46 pm »

...well then.
Rahx, I take it you've been working on this for more than 8 minutes?

Yes, and I have a plan. Whether or not it is able to be done remains to be answered.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 05:20:27 pm »

I am expressing interest, expect a sheet at some point.

Hopefully soon.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 05:24:29 pm »

Edited mine to show more what company does and give description of it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 05:27:31 pm »

Ardas, I’d like to check something, because I’m not sure I and he other players have the same view on how this works:
The rules say, for the business-owner version of Assets, “(max 3 at start)”. Does this mean your company can be involved in three industries at the start, or that there can be at most 3 player-owned companies at the start of the game?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 05:46:39 pm »

I am also curious. I have an idea for a company, but I can easily enough change it to a political party if necessary.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11