Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (9/?) - TURN 1  (Read 8513 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (1/?)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 06:32:01 pm »

For the companies, I was thinking 3 at the start, to make sure we actually fill out political parties as well. I will allow more businesses as we go on. Since we have 2 space-oriented companies, I'm sure that the colonies will be taking off soon. Mind you, your businesses can be virtually anything you deem worth your time, but so far so good.

As for both your apps, flazeo25 and Rahx, you are in.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (3/?)
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 07:51:46 pm »

Name: Zhang Zhuo
Physical description: A tall asian man possibly in his mid 30s or 40s. His short-shaved hair has receded quite far and a well-kept broad mustache is unobstrusively part of his face.

Bio: Zhang Zhuo is what many consider a self-made man and quite infamous on Republic Centers high society. A poor dirt farmer, going from rags to riches with all kinds of rumours of illicit business. Zhuo is known far and wide as a philantrope and a philanderer, showing up with a new woman on every social function. Whatever the origins of his wealth or the women on his arm, Zhuo is the owner of one of the largest Military-Industrial Complexes on Republic Center. He probably would be more respected as such if it wasnt for the drugs, the prostitutes and a penchant for being crude.
Assets: Zhuo Drive Yards - Military Shipyard
Skills: Business Acumen +1

...I will be frank with you, I am rather distrustful of more or less anything involving Ghaz after the disaster with Pantheon IV.

...okay.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 08:17:53 pm »

Name: Hendrick Revees.

Physical description: He is tall, willowy, old and badly disfigured by fire. His left arm is missing and has been replaced by a custom prosthetic made by his own company. The prosthetic itself isn't a match for the human arm it replaces in capabilities but it is a visual work of art. It is a beautiful mix of white and gold. He is never seen outside of a finely tailored suit of which he has many. Even though he is well over sixty years old he moves with intense purpose and is clearly a very driven individual.

Bio: As a young man Hendrick suffered tragedy as the building he lived in caught fire. Pinned under falling rubble he escaped the inferno by sacrificing his arm and crawling free. Badly burnt and scarred he turned down corrective surgery and skin grafts. For anyone else this tragedy would be their downfall but for Hendrick it was the beginning of his rise. The fire was caused by negligence on the part of the builder and the resulting payout to the crippled victim was massive. With some starting capital he built a medical company. It wasn't anything remarkable but what was remarkable was Hendrick's ruthlessness. The fire had ignited an obsession within him and wasn't going to let anyone or anything stand in his way. He used every dirty trick he could to acquire and adsorb competing companies. Blackmail, bribery, threats, infiltration, spy's, nothing was off limits. But none of it could be proven. Rumors and allegations about his wrong doings surrounded him almost his entire life with none of it sticking. In the end he was able to steer his company into becoming the largest single medical conglomerate in the colonies. But none of it was for money. That's not what drives him. He is obsessed with living forever and he will stop at nothing to achieve his goal. The suffering of others is immaterial to him next to the prize he seeks. Perhaps he is a visionary and the first man who will achieve immortality or perhaps he is a mad man pushing medical science well past the boundaries of ethics.

Assets: Ascension Medical (level 1)
Business description: Despite the divisive CEO Ascension medical has acquired and adsorbed a large number of medical companies and continues to grow. Ascension medical provides care to all who seek it. Though how much you pay has a profound effect on the number of corners they cut in the process. To get treated by them you must sign a waiver allowing them to use your medical data for research purposes. It is in this research where Ascension Med has the most investment. They are working hard on improved prosthetics and finding ways to replace failing human organs with artificial substitutes. Other branches are examining the role of genetics in aging.

Skills: +1 subterfuge

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (1/?)
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 08:18:39 pm »

Name: Arthur Cox

Physical description: A man in his mid 40s of average height, though is lean. Due to his background, he shaves his head and remains clean-shaven at all times, and favours business casual attire with a preference for multiple pockets.

He has some scarring on the right side face after a violent incident, and lost his right arm in the same attack. In place of the lost appendage is a "skinless" prosthetic that is almost as good as the real thing.

Bio: Arthur is the head of the Peace and Prosperity Party.

Arthur's political aspirations began early. His parents encouraged him to work for his community, so he served a number of years in law enforcement on Capital to keep his people safe. He was injured responding to a domestic incident, unable to defend himself due to restrictive policy. His assailant was released on a technicality, and returned to their family home, killing their spouse in revenge.

He left the force, disillusioned, though his injury resulted in a payout, and the local fame he attained as a result of media coverage of the trial coupled with his speaking out against the restrictive policies the police were forcibly ascribed allowed him to set up the Peace and Security Party.

Assets: Head of the Peace and Prosperity Party

Political Party description: -tougher penalties for criminals
-more police power to combat crime
-people have the right to protect their person and property
-a safe society is a free society
-increase in personal freedoms, and a consequent focus on personal responsibility
-minimal economic regulation

Skills:
charisma 1
administration 0
subterfuge 0
military talent 0
scientific prowess 0
business acumen 0

Edit 'cause I changed my mind partway through doing something else heh.

Further Edit: Are we likely to run into non-human species out there in the universe?

Edit some more to "finish". I'm very tired, looking into various political leanings... I think I intend to be something of a demagogue.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:32:55 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 06:07:15 am »

Name:Alexander Johnson
Physical description: A tall and somewhat muscular man with short blond hair. Generally wears whatever clothing is most appropriate for the occasion, but has a preference for business casual.

Bio: Alexander John was born in 2374 to a rather well off family with a fairly successful business. His family was able to provide him with a good education and he quickly established himself as being quite intelligent and hard working, but his efforts were not appreciated by his two older brothers, who were set to inherit dual control over their fathers company once he died. They harassed Alexander and made sure that his efforts went under-appreciated by their father, who had already been distant from his children to begin with. Quickly realising that he would not be able to continue his father's business, he looked for another path to take and soon turned his gaze towards politics. He took a political education and kept a close eye on the politics of the world while developing his own political ideas, making them clear as soon as he was able to with the help of the wealth he had inherited from his father. He has quickly established a reputation for patience and rationality, and has worked hard to make the importance of rationality and logic clear to the people. While his calm, hard working nature and determined championing of logic has gained him and his newly founded political party considerable popularity among many since he began his political career, it remains to be seen how long this popularity will last in the face of more emotional parties.

Assets: Head of the Rationalist Party
Political party description:
 -Increased scientific spending.
 -Better education for the poor.
 -Increased social spending.
 -Further space exploration and resource exploitation.
 -Harsher treatment of corruption.
 -Increased police power.
 -A more thorough and rational law.

Skills:
Charisma: 1

So for our political parties so far we have an optimist, a pessimist and a rationalist. Sounds like the start of a bar joke.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:20:55 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 06:15:18 am »

TankKit, hector13, Jerick, Ghaz, you are in.

Ghaz, mind you, your business, unless fulfilling government or private orders for big ships, will compete with the other shipyard business, unless you get a contract for military maintenance of ships as well. Get to government bidding as soon as you can!

As we are at 7 players so far, I think this is good enough to start - I will keep the entry open to others, but once the game starts, all new senators will need to either sign up with existing parties or start as Independent candidates and build their parties from ground up.

Also, I allowed in more than 3 businesses for the start, so any apps from now until the actual start will have to be political or will have to wait until start if you want to be a business.

I am busy today, so official game start will happen tomorrow in the afternoon GMT time.

In the meantime, if you want to join and get your political spot, get on with it!

E: By the way, do we want a discord for this? What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:32:46 am by Ardas »

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (7/?)
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 11:18:37 am »

Name: Angleia Mornum

Physical Description: A woman on her early thirties, with brunette short hair all the way to her shoulder. She has medium height, with slightly dark skin. She generally wears long red and grey dresses, and likes to wears rings, necklaces or bracelets. 

Bio: Angleia Mornum was born in 2369, daughter of Gector Mornum and Leika Skabba. She quickly showed interest in her father mining business, as well as demonstrated large amounts of intelligence and perspicay. She was tutored in home, but her father taught her the art of ruling a company. She became an expert on logistics and study of market, making her an expert in the art of the deal, all the while attending at several social parties, which taught her to study other people, and started reading about psicology and behaviour.

When she was ninteen, tragedy struck, as her father was killed by a 'terrorist attack', giving her uncle the opportunity to take over the company. Angleia eventually discovered a dark plot, in which her uncle had worked with several companions of her father to take over the business. Eventually, she managed to get her uncle under arrest, revealin the corruption the company was enduring under his management, as well as several false accusations of rape on her younger sister. With this, her uncle's power crumbled, and once he was arrested Angleia took over, since she was the only one on the family with enough knowledge on how to rule the company.

Once she was twenty-five, she began taking interest in politics, as they were different than ruling a business. She proceed to study galactic politics and history, and eventually she created a party of her own, which looked for a more prosperous society. She gained the interest and attention of several small corporations and small business.

Assets: Head of the Corporatist Union

Political Party Description:
-Job insurance for all citizens
-Improvement of factories and workjobs, in order to ensure the safety of the workers.
-Diplomacy and Trade preference
-Creation of public works
-Fighting against any kind of corruption and illegal markets.

Skills: Administration +1

((Is this okay?))
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:36:46 pm by Kakaluncha »
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 11:44:33 am »

Angleia was born over 500 years in the future according to your character sheet. You might want to edit that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:46:05 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 12:34:43 pm »

Angleia was born over 500 years in the future according to your character sheet. You might want to edit that.

Okay, fixed. Aside from that, is there anything too odd?
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 12:47:17 pm »

You'll have to wait for Ardas to look at your sheet before you can be certain everything is alright, but I've also noticed that your character is supposed to be in her early thirties but is actually 21 years old. Also, I'm not sure there's such a thing as galactic politics and history - from what I gather we were Earth's first ever colony, but then a nebula essentially blocked all contact between us and Earth. For all we know Earth could have a galactic empire, but we don't know about it if it does and it could also just be a dead world due to some nuclear apocalypse or something. At the time of the games start our civilisation has just began reaching into the stars on it's own, and one of the main reasons behind that is a desire to rediscover Earth and see what's happened since we last contacted it.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 06:04:52 pm »

E: By the way, do we want a discord for this? What do you guys think?

I do advocate for a discord, as it can answer questions faster than the forum and notify others when a turn is up. Ultimately it is up to you.

Speaking of some questions: What are options for funding/offsetting economic downturn? Is it something like 1 B per level or something?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 06:10:42 pm »

As I’ve stated, I’ve got a forum games Discord that I could make a channel for this on. Do you guys want me to post an invite?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 10:13:08 pm »

Name: Adjran Tra
Physical description: Standing at an imposing 2.18 metres, with a muscled build, Adjran Tra is a stand-out figure of a crowd by stature alone. With tanned skin and black hair accompanied by simple outfits that echo his military background.

Bio: A retired Sergeant from the republic's armed forces, Adjran Tra's political career was an unexpected twist in life many did not expect. With a good (if not stellar) record of service behind him, he joined the Centralist Party, serving in it for several years before becoming it's leader.

Assets: Centralist Party (Political party leader)
Political party/business description:
-Pro-Centralisation
-Large Government Advocates
-Pro-Military/Militarist
-Nationalist
-Socially Conservative

Skills: +1 Charisma
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (9/9)
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 01:03:16 pm »

Ok, Taricus, Kakaluncha, you are in. For now, this will be the end of applications, as I will be writing up the launch of the game. Some things have come up so it might be slightly later than anticipated. Feel free to discuss things in the meantime, including what the name of the planet, and of the Republic, will be.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 01:26:31 pm »

I propose that our world be named Novus Mundus, and that the name of its government be called the Global Colonial Republic of Novus Mundus. Novus Mundus means 'New World' in Latin, which was also what the Americas were often referred to throughout history, especially when they were first discovered. As for the name of our government, it is supposed to control the entire world, so it is Global, and it is Colonial because we never really officially separated from Earth, despite not being able to contact it. In fact, it states in the intro that we are hoping to rediscover Earth after our long period of isolation from it. Obviously the name is likely to change in the future, especially depending on what's happened to Earth since we last contacted it, but I believe this name fits the most.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11