Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (9/?) - TURN 1  (Read 8521 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic - Rule a space nation! (7/?) - TURN 1
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2020, 09:04:39 am »

( do I exist )

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2020, 09:08:30 am »

( do I exist )

((I mean, shit dude, I don’t think we’re qualified to answer that))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2020, 09:09:36 am »

Adjran Tra would take a stand to address the senate.

"In regards to the budget, it would be prudent to lay out what the budget is exactly, what tax rates. Should these not be established, I would formally propose an effective twenty-two percent income tax rate, and a 30% corporate tax rate to fund government programs and administration."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2020, 10:00:23 am »

Arthur rises, shaking his head.

“Do you want to stifle business? A flat 20% rate for everyone, including business.”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2020, 10:15:26 am »

Alexander stands. "I agree - a flat 20% rate will give us more than enough of a budget."
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2020, 10:18:51 am »

Angleia nods at Artan's proposal.

"Fellow Senators, while I don't agree with some of the points Senator Adjran has brought up, I would like to further discuss his proposal.

I doubt any of the states would approve being excessivly taxed from a newly formed federal government, thus the 20%, but the same time, we must ensure that business have enough funds to mantain production. And we need stable production, at least for the first few months. There are many resources that proceeded from Earth, and were not from Concordia. During these first months, all types of business would need to use the extra money to adapt on the situation.

At the same time, corporations and business would need to sign a contract were they are obliged to fund archives, library and musuems dedicated to mantain Earth's culture and history.

Though, I agree on the point that Corporate Taxation on a 30% taxe rate would be outrageous. Maybe a 25% taxe rate would make everyone more comfortable?"

Angelia makes small pause.

"I would like to remember all Senators the fact that Concordia could be far more developed than it currently is. In fact, we should have several teams of engineers start working on infrastructure planning. That way, we could grant any citizens from Concordia a job in the construction of infrastructure, developing the Concordian Union at the same time"

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:31:30 am by Kakaluncha »
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2020, 10:41:45 am »

Adjran would continue to stand before addressing the points raised by the others.

"Firstly, I would like to point out the 22% tax rate is effective. To avoid taking up the senate's valuable time, it's a progressive income tax. So to contrast it with a 20% tax, It seems as if Senator Alexander would rather avoid paying his fair share and foisting a heavier tax burden on the poor! This tax

Moreover, foisting more responsibilities onto the corporations for services the government ought to be providing is counterproductive in the face of taxes. Furthermore, a tax rate of 30% would not stifle the larger corproations, and I will come up with a taxation plan myself that focuses on the larger corporations for the tax bill, allowing smaller businesses to thrive without and overbearing tax burden whilst ensuring that those that have the means to pay the taxes will."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2020, 10:46:40 am »

Zhao took note when discussions about tax rate began.

Finally he rose.

"Whatever i say here can and probably will be construed as self-serving but ladies and gentlemen of this assembly, we have to think bigger than before.

Earth is gone, for good or ill. And that means whatever we can't produce we don't have. To maintain a world like ours at a societal level like ours and a technological level as ours...we need to rapidly expand.

I am not merely talking about some small space program. We need a rapid and massive expansion of both industry and mining sectors. We need to send out exploration fleets and immediately begin on Mining Operations...however the current tax rate is...not even close to sufficient for that.

Now putting up some 50% income tax on our citizens is probably going to cause a rebellion so i suggest a more indirect form of taxation:

First, a 10% income tax on our citizens. That is absolutely low and nobody will blink an eye. In all probability our popularity will probably increase because folks will never have paid such low taxes.
Secondly a 30% sales tax. This one is nice and relatively hidden, keeping discontent low.
Furthermore i suggest fuel taxes for private ships, taxes on alcohol, gambling, smoking, recreational drugs, private space transit taxes, as well as insurance taxes, electricity taxes...and of course..."

he lifts his cigar up.

"Taxes on earth luxuries. That is, goods which will run out and are extraordinarily expensive already.
I furthermore suggest a heavy real estate tax on any land on Concordia. Why? Because we restrain it to land ON Concordia. Colonies will not fall under such restrictions. As such people will stand in line to get off with the next colony ship...for which they will pay through their nose thanks to the private space transit tax. As you have probably noticed this leaves shipbuilding, mining and similiar space-faring industries relatively scot-free. Which is intentional. Not because i like not paying taxes...which is certainly factor but rather to facilitate a rapid growth in those industries, which are essential to our continued prosperity as a society.

I know that certain of our senators will see this as foisting of the tax burden onto the poor...but take a closer look who gets to pay the most on these taxes..."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2020, 10:58:06 am »

Alexander is ready to stand as soon as Adjran has finished, but turns to look at Zhao somewhat intently when he begins talking, seemingly forgetting Adjrans accusation.

Slowly, he stands. "While I am wary of Zhaos inevitable bias, especially in concerns to space-faring industries, I must admit that his argument is the best put forward so far. It is logical and, unlike a certain other Senator's proposal, he has explained his reasoning behind it and specified what exactly will be taxed instead of lashing out against those who disagree with him. Though, I would suggest that we don't tax fuel too much for now - we need to encourage people to explore space, not force them to make a decision between two incredibly costly choices."

Alexander sits and observes the reactions of various Senators around the room.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:02:06 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2020, 11:01:20 am »

Angleia snaps her tongue angrily.

"Senator Adjran, I was almost interested on your proposal, but you then went a little too far. You accused Senator Alexander without practically any precedent about avoiding his taxes, but at no point Senator Alexander has expressed anything similar what you acccuse him.

Regarding the corporations, I believe it's fair enough granting them a larger taxe rate in exchange for cultural protection of Earth."

Then she turns towards Zhao.

"Senator Zhao, I believe your proposal is far more reasonable than Senator Adjran's, and I would like to let you know that I wholeheartdly support it, though as Senator Alexander said, there might be are a few issues that should  be discussed."
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2020, 11:20:06 am »

"Ah but isn't that the beauty of it? The fuel taxes are by and large irrelevant to explorers, since, you know, they are exploring! They are outside of Concordian Space and thus not subject to the taxes."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2020, 11:32:37 am »

"...I see your point, but that makes me wonder how we should define our borders in space. Should we define it based on what we've explored? Where some of our businesses extend their reach? Where we have officially colonised?"

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2020, 11:55:37 am »

"They would be if there was a sales tax; every container of supplies purchased would be significantly inflated in price, and vastly curtail any form of exploration efforts. Similarly, a 30% sales tax would be utterly disastrous on the economy. And the large variety of taxes as proposed by Zhang would take far more administrative effort for the same amount of finances gathered, and again puts far too much burden on the average citizen than a more progressive tax rate would be.

Futhermore, to reply to senator Mornum, if Senator Johnson would not like his character impinged and accusations being thrown his way, perhaps he should actually act in a manner which would not give his political opponents ample ammunition to do so, like his current endorsement of a tax policy that is entirely unsustainable and entirely benefits the major corporations at the expense of all others."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2020, 12:11:05 pm »

Alexander raises an eyebrow at Adjran. "You make constant claims about how disastrous most things you don't propose would be, yet you never actually explain why, even when asked to do so.

Besides, I never said the proposal was perfect - a 30% sales tax would not be nearly as disastrous as you say, but a lower sales tax would certainly be more ideal. What I did say was that it was the best proposal put forward so far. Certainly, it makes more sense than yours."

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2020, 06:37:47 pm »

Senator Chloe spoke up "As follow up to proposal that Senator Zhao has so graciously given us, I ask us fellow Senators that we also to look at how we spend the money the taxes our government will collect. I propose we set up at least 5% of budget subject to change support means of maintaining and supplying our planet with a army. Whether the terms of what make up for should be held off for latter discussion. Following along I suggest we set up social care service which uses budget of around 7.5% to 10% for citizens who raise families of two or more children or seek out fertility treatments, as well as providing common agriculture policy of 7.5% which provides source of monetary protect and grants to promote expansion. In doing so we should be able benefit in growth of food production as well as population expansion for our planet." She then looked around the room before continuing her speech.

"Shipbuilding and mining as well as fuel costs are expensive thing I know, this mainly stems from having to enter and exit orbit through normal rocketry means which Earth long ago solved. What I ask is that we focus on providing a budget to commission the building a space elevator, which we station in geostationary orbit we already have fine selection of asteroids lined up to survey for one of them to act as counterweight. In building this we not only effeciently increase output of shipbuilding methods we also secure more steady line of resource extraction through being able mine more asteroids. That is all." 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11