Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Check-ups and medical skill rust  (Read 957 times)

Thiccarus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Check-ups and medical skill rust
« on: December 15, 2019, 07:45:50 pm »

I learned recently assigning doctors to be scholars in the library so that they can ponder medicine prevents skill rust and, paired with critical thinking, allows them to even gain experience.  this comes with the massive drawback they will refuse to do just about anything other than ponder aside from military training, and if the dwarf in question has the trait that makes them prefer abstract garbage rather than more practical things, this assignment is useless.  So, I would like to propose the yearly check-up.  Dwarves come in to the hospital once a year just to update the doctor's records of their infections, if any, how they've cleared, any new ailments (say, from forgotten beasts or poison or exposure to the strange rains of evil biomes), and in doing so keep the diagnoser skill from rusting. It'd also be great if we could assign multiple staff to hospitals in order to perform such tasks, as we can with say, performers and tavernkeepers in taverns, so as to divvy up the workload between multiple dwarves and speed the process along.  I imagine this would also come with the added benefit that dwarves that get skipped from diagnosis because they weren't resting will instead be able to come in later for treatment.  Additionally, I'd like to suggest that the health tab become more detailed as to the type of injury sustained.  A veteran diagnoser should be able to say, for example, that a certain wound is a bite mark, but not what kind necessarily. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Check-ups and medical skill rust
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 10:09:29 pm »

Are you saying medical dwarves (including the chief medical officer) will ignore patients in the hospital if they're busy pondering in the library?

If so, "fix bug" would achieve much the same thing.