Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troll Fortress & Ogre Fortress  (Read 1272 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troll Fortress & Ogre Fortress
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:06:37 am »

I am considering using trolls as the next playable race in my fortress series followed by ogres. What do you guys think a troll civilization would look like? What unique buildings and items would the trolls/ogres have? What animals and clothing? What would make them unique?

I am thinking about making them cave civs. They would be extremely strong and tough and very capable fighters. They could be a brutal tribal race focused on war. I could also make them bonecarn which would require meat and bones. Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Re: Troll Fortress & Ogre Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 07:53:54 am »

Wow you're making another new mod? Where do you get this energy from, man?
At this rate i'll have to get you to make my civ mod for me. JK, but it is sadly sitting in dev limbo right now...

As for ideas for an ogre civ? well when i think ogre, i think dumb brutes with primitive (and large) club weaponry. So for everything, focus on strength not fine motor skills or intellect. Everything should work by brute force alone, no complex machinery. I think that could be a unique component: Having a large part of their recipes as unskilled, so labors neither require skill nor train it. Or alternatively, try to use combat skills for as many recipes as possible. Need something crushed? Hammerogre. Need something cut and diced? Axeogre. Need a sweater? not gonna happen.
Also they should have really low skill learn rates for everything but combat skills. And you're right they should be BONECARN, as well as have their ethics allow for cannibalism and torture-for-fun for flavour. (even though these ethics don't do much right now.)

For trolls? Well if you want to make a custom troll creature, you can give them an interaction that triggers a periodic transformation syndrome that transforms them into a troll(for regeneration purposes).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:58:24 am by Strik3r »
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:23:31 pm »

Low-tech Stone age for anything like trolls, ogres, animal men, I'd say. Maybe bronze age tech, if you go with classical cyclopes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 04:10:57 pm »

Could be difficult on the mechanics, is this a combined group of troll & ogre members living as one nation or are they explicitly seperate?

Being so strong and large (assuming we're talking about cave trolls and not custom trolls, vanilla ogres are both rare meanderers and as tall as giants even though dark towers have a lot of them) i imagine they probably don't even need a lot, and what they do have will need to be very robust.

Im not sure, maybe dip into the primitive gear from masterwork's orcs maybe and a touch of shamanism. For fun i would say some sort of syndrome driven hunger/saeity hunger mechanic, so they recieve some mood bonuses from eating regularly similar to alcoholism by means of tweaking their diets to have a syndromic effect upon them, becoming breathless and emanciated without it.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 04:42:30 pm »

The old mmo game EverQuest has trolls for race selection and classes. 
Fighters, Shamans, and I think Cleric and Shadowknights. 
There's a reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/search?q=trolls&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Warcraft franchise have trolls also: axe throwers, berzerkers, shamans, and priest.