Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Blood and Sand, A Gladiatorial Arms Race-Like [CORE]  (Read 6000 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood and Sand, A Gladiatorial Arms Race-Like - Pregame 3 [CORE]
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2019, 01:38:48 pm »

Pregame 2 Results

Of course, you take part in the feud between the Magnii and Flavii. Blood between the families has been bad ever since they split. Currently the conflict between you and them has turned to more indirect, discreet action. At this very moment your rivals are planning to start up a Ludus - a Gladiator Stable - and profit from the good Roman Games. Unfortunately for them, your family is also in the market for battle slaves. Both families will be doing their best to belittle, embarrass, ruin, and perhaps even kill the other. It'll be your duty to make sure misfortune falls to the proper family.

But now it is time to return to the familial estate. You briefly dwell on the property owned by your rivals, and while it is impressive, surely yours is greater.

You will now be determining your side and selecting your family's home from the below list. There are two premade voteboxes - only vote in the box for the team you will be joining. Once this phase is complete the team thread will be made and the final turn of set-up will take place behind closed doors.

You may select from the following dwellings:

A) Cliffside Manor: A sizeable dwelling with enough space for family, slaves, and supplies. The nearby mountains provide an abundance of ore. Our slaves work some of the mines, while the less profitable ones are leased to other individuals. [Provides an extra Fortune Token every turn]
B) Forum-adjacent Homes: A significantly sized couple of buildings for those built within the city. Close proximity to the Forum has given the family an intimate familiarity with bartering. [Provides an extra Favor Token every turn]
C) Crossroads Estate: An expansive plot of land outside the city but positioned at an important crossroads. Many travelers, traders, and the occasional army pass by the impressive estate in awe at it's size and lavishness. [Provides an extra Fame Token every turn]
D) Valley Development: Ground broke here relatively recently. While it has everything the family wants or needs, there is a peculiar feel to the place. [Provides an extra Fate Token every turn]

Once again, the smartypantses who read words probably caught on that we have four Tokens. Tokens are used in order to take most actions (training gladiators and calling in favors being the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head), and while each can be used interchangeably, the type of token used will affect the narrative of the action, and some have slightly different mechanics to them.

Fortune Tokens represent sums of money leaving your hands and entering someone else's. As wealth is a universal language, there's almost no opportunity for using a Fortune Token and having events turn on you. Almost.
Favor Tokens represent favors both owed to you by others and others by you. Using a Favor Token to do something will often put you in someone's debt in order to achieve your goal. You will usually be asked to do a favor in return, with the debt being forgiven on completion. A Favor Token can also be used sans objective on a person of interest (PoIs will be listed in a spoiler as you meet them) in order to attempt to get them indebted to you - sometimes without needing to do anything yourself! You can call in these favors with varying degrees of success based on relationship status, family standing, and a whole slew of minor factors.
Fame Tokens represent your mere presence acting to further your goals. Fame Tokens usually don't come with drawbacks, however you may see less significant success or side events occur if you're not known at all or if your target outFames you or doesn't care for popularity.
Fate Tokens represent the will of the Gods guiding your family. While these tokens will see the greatest level of success, they may also have massive unexpected impacts not just to your family, but across Rome as a whole.

And to reiterate once more, your choice of tokens to use will not mechanically impact your ability to kick the shit out of your rivals. It will only affect the narrative you take to get there. For example, you could kill all your enemies and win thanks to judicious use of Favor Tokens, never repay your debts, and end the game on the run from an angry mob of patricians. Or maybe you lose the game but the Gods watch over your family and make sure their waning days give them a pleasant, happy ending.

Oh, and as always, you can always create your own submission - just make sure to add it to both Voteboxes! It only requires a basic description and the token it will provide every turn.

Finally, to reiterate something else further, only vote in the votebox designated for the team you will be participating for. A name in both boxes will count for nothing in either.

IT IS NOW PREGAME PHASE 3.

Quote from: Magnii Votebox
Cliffside Manor (0):
Forum-adjacent Homes (0):
Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (0):

Quote from: Flavii Votebox
Cliffside Manor (0):
Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (0):

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and Sand, A Gladiatorial Arms Race-Like - Pregame 3 [CORE]
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2019, 01:45:39 pm »

Cliffside Manor (0):
Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (1): Madman

Massive, unpredictable, interesting consequences? Why not?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2019, 03:13:45 pm »

Cliffside Manor (1): SC777
Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (0)

Money is a universal language, no?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2019, 03:38:05 pm »

Cliffside Manor (0):
Crossroads Estate (1): Twinwolf

For fabulousness

(I'd also be fine with Valley Development tbh).
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2019, 03:45:11 pm »

Cliffside Manor (1): SC777
Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (1): Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2019, 03:52:54 pm »

Cliffside Manor (0):
Forum-adjacent Homes (1): Powder Miner
rack up those b u s i n e s s r e l a t i o n s h i p s

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2019, 03:56:25 pm »

Cliffside Manor (0):
Forum-adjacent Homes (2): Powder Miner, Rockeater
FOR BUSINESSES RELATIONSHIP!
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2019, 04:52:11 pm »

Cliffside Manor (0):
Forum-adjacent Homes (3): Powder Miner, Rockeater, m1895
B U S I N E S S  R E L A T I O N S H I P S

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2019, 05:26:48 pm »

Cliffside Manor (2): SC777 TL
Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (1): Doomblade

Big pimping, living it large.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2019, 05:31:58 pm »

I stand by my desire to find out what consequences we can semi-unwittingly release on all of Rome. I worry that the favor token is not going to be really nice in the narrative sense since we will literally be getting an income that turns itself into IOU's every time we spend it...which seems financially indistinguishable from not getting an income :P

Personally I'd prefer utilizing fame or fate as the income that may very well help shape our particular bloodthirsty, obsessed, badly maladjusted family. Also, can we insert a colored line in the votebox, like so? I think it would make the two teams' voteboxes easier to distinguish.

Flavii
Cliffside Manor (0):
Crossroads Estate (2): Twinwolf, Madman
Valley Development (0):
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2019, 06:12:13 pm »

Cliffside Manor (2): SC777, TL
Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (2): Doomblade, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2019, 07:43:36 pm »

If our building isn't a wonder of rome or dare I say a wonder of the world, why bother living? Our gladiators should not be the only flashy and famous things out there...
Flavii
Cliffside Manor (0):
Crossroads Estate (3): Twinwolf, Madman, Piratejoe
Valley Development (0):

What are you talking about me being Magnii? I mean yes we were part of the same house originally but that doesn't make me one of them.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2019, 10:48:32 am »

Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (3): Doomblade, Taricus, Strider
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2019, 12:51:19 pm »

Crossroads Estate (0):
Valley Development (3): Doomblade, Taricus, Strider

If our building isn't a wonder of rome or dare I say a wonder of the world, why bother living? Our gladiators should not be the only flashy and famous things out there...
Flavii
Cliffside Manor (0):
Crossroads Estate (3): Twinwolf, Madman, Piratejoe, Sanctume
Valley Development (0):

What are you talking about me being Magnii? I mean yes we were part of the same house originally but that doesn't make me one of them.

I'm confused in the quotes.

Crossroads Estate sounds like good opportunity to attract Army veterans wanting fame.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 02:31:27 pm »

Flavii
Cliffside Manor (0):
Forum-adjacent Homes (2): Powder Miner, Rockeater
Crossroads Estate (5): Twinwolf, Madman, Piratejoe, Sanctume, m1895
Valley Development (0):
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:34:19 pm by m1895 »