Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46

Author Topic: Demon Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Strategy Phase 10  (Read 41681 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Strategy Phase 7
« Reply #525 on: May 26, 2020, 01:49:18 pm »

Lets try to complety soldify our hold in Mage Towers. Guess we need another revision or create design to fix our blades.

Quote from: Magioc
Darrin(Combat): (0)
Lesimor(Influence): (1) Flazeo25
Xa-Nam(Combat): (0)
Dologth(Influence): (0)
You have to choose a specific province when sending Magoc to an Influence lane (Scholarly Towers in this case).
Long Live United Forenia!

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 26, 2020, 01:58:34 pm »

Voted for nerd towers.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 26, 2020, 03:01:18 pm »

Darrin: (1) Kashyyk
Nerd Tower: (1) Flazeo25

We have Blood-Drinkers and Manipular Missile,so I think we can hold the Scholarly Towers for a turn without Magoc. I would like to start putting some serious pressure on the Angles, combat-wise, and push the front line closer to the desert.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 27, 2020, 03:12:27 pm »

Nerd Tower: (2) Flazeo25, MoP

I'm not sure manipular missile is gonna make up too much of the vacuum left behind by Magoc if we don't send him to the towers. While the enchantment is definitely interesting, I don't know how it'll go over with the virgins since it relies on a more physical interaction than spells or alchemy. Our criminals are probably not going to do much at all there either, so I'd like to try to cozy up some more to the nerds with the fancy robes. Tell 'em we got some good shit comin' next month, and if they give us a hand we'll give them a nice cut. I don't remember if we can straight up lose ranks in influence, but at the very least it's heavily implied that we can lose the related benefits to the deeper relationship, and I want to maximize our magical accessibility for the next turn's actions.

Next turn I want to try making Frag with the Alchemy Bonus and use that champion credit we're getting along with the second design to make a superchampion of some sort, which should do wonders for combat. I've got a couple other ideas brewing, so I'm not 1000% set on which way I want to go, but I feel like the nerds give us a better foundation for making an alchemical stimulant and perhaps they'd be interested in, say, a binding ritual for conjuring/creating/cursing a new champion into existence. Of course, if we made the unit magic-based in it's abilities then that might also help in that regard too.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I want the HEChampion to be a dedicated caster of some sort. We'd have a unit meant for casting that would probably be able to bypass present antimagic shields, both based on casting strength as well as scope of effect.

And before it's asked why it has to be a high effort when I'm involved, well it's something being rolled for with a credit on both sides for it. Doing it as a high effort will give us a better chance at rolling better than the angels, whereas not doing so means we're at the mercy of whether or not the Angels decide to do their champ as a high effort, which, as they beat me to the punch in that line of inquiry with nuke, I'm expecting they'll do.

So there we go. That's my multiturn reasoning for my vote this strategy phase.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 27, 2020, 03:34:38 pm »

Nerd Tower: (3) Flazeo25, MoP, Happerry

Seems reasonable.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 27, 2020, 04:04:16 pm »

So warlock type champion then? maybe also have him able to teach on side if possible.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:48 pm »

Darrin: (2) Kashyyk, TricMagic
Nerd Tower: (3) Flazeo25, MoP, Happerry

Seems reasonable.

You know, that is EXACTLY why I was freaking worried about sending him in the first place, having to keep sending him to the exact same place, making absolutely no progress anywhere else that he could help make. All I can say is deal with it, not keep bailing out a ship with holes in it..

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 27, 2020, 08:29:18 pm »

Tric, you argue against yourself here.

You said "I had better/would like to see a good magic design or 4 next turn" when you decided to vote to send Magoc to the Dweeb Tower. Then you proceeded to push for none of that this turn, voting instead for an enchanted equipment (which only sort of hits what we need for impressive magic) and crimeybois. You're not following through with your own plans then spazzing when people don't adhere to the ideas you don't hold to. Also, please refrain from acting like you predicted what our situation was going to be when you didn't actually voice that at all.

As for your analysis of the situation, you're approaching it from a purely pessimistic view. Let me break it down in a different way.

What we did was the influence-equivalent of a spearhead assault through a frontline. Yes we extended ourselves, and yes it's a somewhat tenuous grasp we have on our gains, but we made gains we would not have otherwise, and therefore get benefits we would not otherwise. If we let the vanguard wither after pushing them through then we're letting them die for nothing, just as not trying to secure our gains in the tower waste the whole reason for the strategic decision last turn. But if we follow through and try to tighten our grasp we can secure footing that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Without Magoc being there last turn we would probably still be at 3/5, and therefore not getting as much help in our magical endeavors as I had wanted with Frag this turn. Our focus on things not-tower related for our actions this turn means we don't have the force to replace Magoc's absence with, so removing him now means the magically-oriented actions we should most definitely be taking next turn will potentially not see the effectiveness they could have had had we at least attempted to keep the Tower interested in us. Could Magoc going elsewhere gain ground we don't have or prevent getting pushed back further this turn? Of course. But if our efforts in the Tower make our magically-oriented actions (HEChampion, hopefully Frag) more effective in any way, then we have more powerful tools in our arsenal to secure contain, and protect territory and influence in the future.

I'm looking at our efforts in the towers more like Fall Weiss, whereas you seem to be looking at it more like The Alamo, to wrap up with my sloppy analogy.

Do I wish we didn't need to send Magoc to the towers? Honestly probably not, because if we'd actually done something impressive this turn I'd still want to try to secure a 5/5.

As for Kashyyk's concerns, even though I've already touched upon some of them in my prior post as well as given some argument to look over in this post, while losing in combat is always gonna suck, I think it's more than worth it if we can manage to leverage the towers as much as possible in our Champion creation. We can't use both designs and the credit to do an UberEffort Champion, so next best thing is trying to get the nerds to assist as much as possible. Then we can pretend we did an UberEffort. Plus, I really like maximizing the introduction of things, and since we know for sure both teams are making a champion, I want to give ours as much chance to be a badass as possible. Last thing we want is the Angels to get another champ and have it edge ours out, but it should be fairly easy to make a Champion that utilizes our connections to the towers, regardless of whether it's a caster itself, though obviously I can't speak to what kind of benefits Nuke could decide to provide should we actually do something applicable.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 27, 2020, 08:42:04 pm »

As it is effectively time for me to go to sleep. I would have wanted a healing spell, but the blades were what others wanted.

I also point out a bunch of spells were esigned at the start, but no one wanted them. I think you were one of the ones that argued against something that ate magic? Aura of Wind didn't go anywhere. Light of Ruin was never even mentioned directly.

Also, securing 5/5 is said to be very difficult. We'd need a design that completely blows their minds. Which I think I might have? An Alchemist with the ability to transmute anything on the spot, no catalysts, just magic and instinctual knowledge of it's make up. Clap and energy show, and it's done. Someone who knows so much about transmutation that they are a Champion of it, and can transmute entire battlefields and disintegrate foes with but a touch through transmutation, just not bothering to put the parts back together into anything.

Can be HE, use alchemy bonus, and get us 5/5 through them for someone who simply understands how alchemy works and can teach it as well as put it to practical use...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 27, 2020, 09:03:55 pm »

At that point it's just transmutation, with nothing alchemical about it other than the fact that they were an alchemist and hoping that that qualifies it for a +1.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 28, 2020, 06:36:04 am »

Transmutation is alchemy in the first place. But it can always be written as a newborn master alchemist making a potion to give them hat sort of ability.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 28, 2020, 06:48:36 am »

Transmutation is alchemy in the first place. But it can always be written as a newborn master alchemist making a potion to give them hat sort of ability.
Alchemy is magical chemistry, basically. That is, you mix the right ingredients in the right way, and magic happens- most commonly used for mutations. You don't technically need any magical ability of your own to do alchemy (although it helps).
You can of course do a Champion whose primary power is the ability to transmute things in the way you describe, but they would not be an alchemist.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 29, 2020, 03:09:21 pm »

Darrin: (1) TricMagic
Nerd Tower: (4) Flazeo25, MoP, Happerry, Kashyyk

Screw it, lets make it solid. Now I'm gonna go complain that the Angles are holding us up.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 06, 2020, 04:17:00 pm »

Demon Team: Battle Phase T7
TURNTURNTURN
Link to Battle Report

Lesimor Infiltration Report
The only significant news from the Scholarly Towers this month was Magoc's success in establishing a new gang in the province. This was aided by some OU officials looking the other way, on the unspoken understanding that the new gang will operate primarily in areas considered GU territory. This boosts the crime rate in the region, to moderately high levels (the boost is persistent- Magoc's continued presence is not necessary to maintain the elevated crime rate).
We were able to cause all sorts of trouble for the angelic operatives, and 'acquired' some rare-ish books for our OU friends, but we did not make significant progress towards a true takeover of the province. OU members remain interested in seeing new and innovative magics- they admire the Blood-Drinker Blades, or at least the novel enchanting techniques involved, but really want to see more spells (Manipular Missile, as an adaptation of an existing spell, does not cause much excitement).
4/5

The Lawless Capital was a great success for our Leverage Criminals technique- as was to be expected. Smuggling was easier, angelic sabotage all-but eliminated, and a taste of their own medicine was delivered in the form of raided stockpiles and slain agents. What's more, our People's Republic allies were very interested in our ability to command the city's gang network. We've started negotiations with a number of prominent Republicans, and they've agreed to closer ties if we can assist them in organising city-wide protests in the coming months- intended to sow the seeds of insurrection in the people's hearts. While we do not currently have the means of inducing such activity, it is an interesting offer- though we could also gain greater influence through more conventional means (eg political infiltration).
3/5

Crime in the Fortified Frontier is rare- it takes a brazen criminal indeed to operate in proximity of so many soldiers who are itching for a fight. What little criminal activity we could muster was dedicated towards keeping our own operations safe, rather than proactively taking on the angelic operations. The Doves, meanwhile, are green with envy over the Hawks' access to Sunbows, and have little time for our missionaries.
2/5

Dolgoth Infiltration Report
The chaos in the Wartorn Wastes served us well this month, as a number of existing converts were suddenly promoted. These remained loyal to our cause, but would not alone have been enough to expand our influence amongst the Victory faction- fortunately, we had an incentive to entice some other senior Victory officers to ally themselves with us.
The crime rate in the province is quite high, as the battered armies have little manpower to spare on maintaining law and order, while deserters bolster the ranks of ne'erdowells. We were able to take control over a variety of smugglers (who sell weapons to both sides), illicit service providers (satisfying the needs of weary soldiers), and crucially bandits- bands of deserters who use their skill at arms to enrich themselves. By directing these bandits into coordinated raids of various Southern Realm camps and such, we were able to weaken them considerably. We then tipped off Victory officers, who swept in to crush the demoralised foe. This service convinced some sceptics that we have what it takes to assist them, with the result that they either joined the cult or turned a blind eye to our activities.

We now control a portion of Victory leadership. As in the Scholarly Towers, this gives us partial control over the policies and administration of the province. The benefits previously enjoyed (improved officers & aggressive tactics) are enhanced, and we can perform infiltration efforts designed to enact policies that favour our cause.
Of course, to expand our control further will not be easy. We need to ensure the dominance of the Victory faction- be that by actually making victory more likely, or by crushing those who favour Peace-, and complete our takeover of the Victory leadership. Converting the remaining senior officers is one thing, but the most important convert will be the Victory General; not someone to take lightly, the position implies great strength of will (and body)- not someone you impress with a gaggle of bandits and petty seduction. It may be easier to simply remove him, and ensure that one of our existing followers takes his place (although this will not be simple either).
We must also be aware that (as in the Towers) our control is increasingly tenuous, and could slip if we do not maintain our efforts. It is possible that converts could be lost- exposed, killed, or swayed away-, robbing us of our progress.
3/5-->4/5

As we are now considered to be friends of the Foreign Dynasty (albeit still distrusted ones), we actually benefited from the king's return to the Ostentatious Capital. Some of our converts are considered 'loyal', and managed to get promoted to more senior positions. Not enough to significantly bolster our influence, especially since they were hesitant to sabotage their new positions (and necks) by overt acts in support of the demonic cause. Political skills would be the easiest way to make further progress, by creating political webs that safeguard our converts from reprisal. The Foreign Dynasty faction also suggested that help in unmasking key Local Dynasty supporters would be greatly appreciated.
Needless to say, leveraging criminals was of little help, as the city watch keeps things tightly locked down. A bit of help in smuggling Bootlegger's into the city was about it.
3/5

Our Deregulator friends in the Trade City remained pleased with the profits from Bootlegger's Bounty, but always seek greater profits.
Crime is not uncommon in the crowded ports, with especially smugglers being in high demand. Some of the Deregulators approve of smuggling (let the market decide, they say), but other aspects of crime are less appreciated (taxation may be theft, but theft is also theft). We earned a few friends by helping some merchants move products without the authorities being involved, but not enough to make a big splash.
3/5

It is now the Design Phase. You have two designs.

But wait, there's more.

You also have a design credit, to be used in the creation of a Unique Unit- be it a Champion (ie a human or near-human character), or a Unique Monster (for an example of this, see the Titaneghoul from the first Demonhood). You may combine this design credit with a regular design for a High-Effort Unique Unit design. You may not combine all three designs into a Hyper-Effort design.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:27:33 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Design Phase 8
« Reply #539 on: August 06, 2020, 09:03:34 pm »

High-Effort Champion/Monster Guy: The Obsessive Scholar

Magic is a field that draws many to it for just as many reasons. Few master a single art, fewer master multiples, and fewer still find a solution to the questions or problems that drew them to magic in the first place. The Obsessive Scholar's singular focus was but one question he oft asked himself - "Why?" He infuriated his peers during his studies in the Scholarly Tower, pestering them over the most minuscule detail, driving them to explain everything back to the creation of the realms themselves. No answer proved thorough enough for The Obsessive Scholar.

He was an esteemed guest of many a court, sharing his knowledge in exchange for free access to any library in the realm. He pored over tome after tome, flipped thousands upon thousands of pages, scoured every line, word, and letter or symbol in every text and scroll. Still on occasion he found himself able to ask "why?" and come up with no answer. The Obsessive Scholar learned of ancient ruins now brought to life by some demon cult, and heard rumors of the impressive stores of knowledge this cult held in it's grasp, so of course he had to see it for himself.

He was impressed when he'd arrived, but The Obsessive Scholar soon grew frustrated. Alchemy was interesting but the Cult of Magoc had a basic level of knowledge that only scratched upon ancient tales of the power of that Art, and with their very limited library of spells there was even less for him to work with. Indeed, The Obsessive Scholar grew maddened by yet another disappointment and sought after knowledge of the demon Magoc itself. He demanded the demon answer each and every question until The Obsessive Scholar was satisfied. Magoc, amused by this conjurer of cheap tricks, presented itself before him and offered a challenge: if The Obsessive Scholar asked a question Magoc could not answer, The Obsessive Scholar would be free to take the entirety of the wealth of the cult in order to fund his ongoing search for more, with Magoc working as a demonic aide. If The Obsessive Scholar could be satisfied however, he would eternally work as a slave to Magoc, forced to give up his search for knowledge in order to act as an extension of Magoc's will.

One should not need a summary of a face-off between a curious mortal and a demon in it's prime, especially when the demon is one who is skilled with words. The Obsessive Scholar asked questions for days on end, and Magoc would provide empty answer after empty answer. Magoc strung The Obsessive Scholar along with a line of questions so long and cyclical that The Obsessive Scholar didn't realize until too late that the question he was halfway through asking had already been answered, and when he tried to quickly come up with another question to recover from his stumble, he realized with fright that each question he could summon forth in the moment had already been answered.

In the moment that he faltered, Magoc claimed victory, damning The Obsessive Scholar to an eternity of servitude. The Obsessive Scholar vanished in a blast of noxious black fumes.

What came to be in a ritual chamber beneath the ruins was something more than The Obsessive Scholar ever dreamed he would be. His mind was sharper than any mortal mind, capable of grasping and focusing the most complex of magics. His body was turned completely hairless, and all of his features erased from his physical form. His skin seemed to run smoothly across the entirety of his body, with naught but two slits for his eyelids, two for his nostrils, and one for his mouth. His eyes themselves are a pitch black, and his skin a porcelain white. These features play into his abilities granted by Magoc.

The Obsessive Scholar cannot shapeshift freely as Magoc can. Instead, The Obsessive Scholar must embrace someone he wishes to take the form of. They are absorbed and broken down by his flesh, not only granting him the ability to change into them at will, but also granting him all of the target's knowledge and memories up to the point of absorption. The process is fast and leaves nothing of the person's body itself behind.

The Obsessive Scholar is meant to be a Magic Champion.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46