Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: Angel Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Strategy Phase 10  (Read 31815 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Revision Phase 3
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2020, 06:57:37 pm »

Refrain of Regret
This piece of song-magic is heavily based on the Song of Soothing -- but essentially the exact inverse in effect. Firstly, it should be noted that the Refrain of Regret works a little differently than the Song of Soothing in how it is sung, as instead of being a catchy tune that entire groups are drawn to singing and by civilians, it's a refrain and countermelody that is designed explicitly to fit smoothly into the Song of Soothing in combat, sung by Acolytes between verses rather than the entire army. In terms of the actual magical and lyrical content of the song, it also sings about the virtues of Good and the community and comfort it brings, in a variable fashion like the Song of Soothing, but the Refrain of Regret has a different tone of it -- a tone of sadness that those of Evil cannot experience such comforts and virtues, and regret for their sorry state. Whereas the Song of Soothing boosts the moral and mental defense of our soldiers, the Refrain of Regret grants it the inverse effect as well, attacking the morale and judgement of the Evil armies directly.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2020, 07:39:01 pm »

Improved Officer Training
Our officers have helped us win several battles so far, but the training course can be improved with both the hard won experience of our current officers and the memories of our newly converted soldiers.
The most notable change is the addition of a new officer rank: The Major. Majors command several units, usually different types for tactical flexibility, and are drawn from the most experienced captains. As well as that, we've solidified the rank of General, previously selected by raffle or election, while this won't improve their strategic efforts much, it will ensure we have a stable, longterm strategy.
Finally, we'll have the professional soldiers we've just acquired take a look at our basic training program and correct any egregious errors.

Archery Ranges
While we put a good deal of effort into training our basic cultists we uh, forgot to do much for the archers. The Archery Ranges aim to fix that.
The simple fact that we can train any schlub to be an archer instead of relying on woodsman and the occasional professional archer. Speaking of professional archers, the ones we converted have helped us set up three different types of target, the standard "bullseye" target, a volley target, which is basically a big ring of rope a whole unit tries to land their arrows in, and a pendulum bullseye that swings back and forth. With the professionals acting as instructors, This let's us train up our own archers from the common folk and increases their performance to near-military levels.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:16:03 pm by m1895 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Revision Phase 2
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2020, 07:43:34 pm »

Revision: Shadow Raiders
With our Shadow Walkers proving to be apt at their newly acquired skills, a few officers have thought, "Why not use these on the battlefield?" To this end, the Shadow Raiders are trained for battlefield duties, being deployed ahead and beside our regular formations to slip past enemy lines and cause chaos, mayhem and carnage amongst the demon's forces. Whilst equipped with the same armour available to our cultists, the raiders wield bows, swords and torches in place of spear and shield to better engage in raids and harassment of demon forces.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2020, 08:03:38 pm »

In response to a statement made on Discord, I feel like the best way to decrease the cost of Archers is just to make a specialized archer training component to our camps. Or even just dedicated separate Archer Camps.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »

Revision: Cultist Marksmen

Where the demons get by with mutation and corruption, the congregation thrives on superior discipline and training of it's common men. The cultist marksmen are taken from the most accurate archers of the ranks of our cultist archers - former military men and career hunters mostly - and given superior equipment; proper warbows, arrows of better quality and any other equipment they might need. A section of the training camps are opened to give them room to further train themselves. On the battlefield, the Marksmen are given the task of aiming for the greatest threats among the enemy - officers, the mutagen globadiers, and so on; given ideal conditions, they can disrupt the enemy formation and deal with threats before they can turn their full strength on the rank and file.

---

Another option, since some people want a "better archers" option.

Quote from: Boxvote
Refrain of Regret: (1) Twinwolf
Improved Officer Training:
Shadow Raiders: (1) Twinwolf
Cultist Marksmen:
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2020, 09:05:03 pm »

Refrain of Regret: (2) Twinwolf, Powder Miner
Shadow Raiders: (1) Twinwolf
Cultist Marksmen: (1) Powder Miner
I'm not MARRIED to the marksmen, but I think I do marginally like them better than the Raiders. The Refrain I'm a bit more attached to.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2020, 10:24:40 pm »

Refrain of Regret: (3) Twinwolf, Powder Miner, Taricus
Shadow Raiders: (2) Twinwolf, Taricus
I feel the marksmen are... Not as good as the other things we can accomplish this turn with our revisions? I mean snipers would be good and all, but they wouldn't be as effective in the midst of a battle compared to doing that when the enemy is encamped, on the move or otherwise not really expecting it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2020, 07:09:38 am »

Refrain of Regret: (4) Twinwolf, Powder Miner, Taricus, Failbird
Archery Ranges: (1) Failbird
I'm... wary on the Shadow Raiders. I feel like if our enemies have invested into, like, any sort of detection(which is completely reasonable, considering we have ghost spies who blow up their booze), then we're gonna end up with a lot more dead Raiders than successful raids.

I also don't like the Marksmen, because I feel like we should probably lower the rarity of our archers before we make a rarer version.
So that's what I'm voting to (try to) do.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2020, 10:15:36 am »

Copied from Jilladilla’s Javelins

While our improvements to training and equipment have gone an impressive distance in ensuring that our cultists will reign supreme over their demonic counterparts, the reality of logistics means that further uparmoring will likely be restricted to only the most experienced, relegating most of our forces into a light infantry role. So why do we not equip them with an iconic weapon of the role, the Javelin?

Smaller and lighter than the spear; this javelin is not a replacement for our cultists spears, but instead meant to be carried in addition. The speartip of this throwing weapon is made of soft iron, so as to ensure that it bends severely after impact so as to render it unable to be used against us. Lead is placed behind this speartip, so as to lend more weight to the strike. With our cultists opening the engagement with a hail of these weapons, surely the demon's forces will falter once our organized lines meet their broken and injured ones.

Magic Missile Flashers

The magic missile is adjusted to release its energy as incredibly bright light and loud  sound, but otherwise doing little actual damage. The goal is to leave targeted enemy soldiers blind and confused, leaving an opening for our soldiers to capitalize on. The energy costs are about the same as the base magic missile, but more energy can be put in to increase the effect.

Refrain of Regret: (5) Twinwolf, Powder Miner, Taricus, Failbird, C2M
Archery Ranges: (1) Failbird
I was leaning shadow raiders but Failbird made a good point about their potential counterability, so I pulled up Jilladilla’s Javelins, and another revision I found in my notes. Either of the revisions above provide I think good options to improve our cultists ability to do damage at range and close quickly where we have the advantage.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2020, 02:40:59 pm »

Refrain of Regret: (5) Twinwolf, Powder Miner, Taricus, Failbird, C2M
Archery Ranges: ()
Javelins: (1) Failbird
I'm all for Javelins, but I'd be willing to support other proposals as long as I like them.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2020, 03:12:58 pm »

Quote from: Bovxote
Refrain of Regret: (6) Twinwolf, Powder Miner, Taricus, Failbird, C2M, Strider
Cultist Marksmen: (2) Powder Miner, Strider
Javelins: (1) Failbird
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2020, 03:32:26 pm »

Javelins: (2) Failbird, C2M
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2020, 04:32:11 pm »

Archery Ranges: (1) m1895
Javelins: (2) Failbird, C2M
I really prefer the range, as the raiders and marksmen will both be rare while not actually providing much of a step up over our regular dudes, and while I don't have much against javelins, we've done quite a lot for our spearmen already, so I'd prefer doing something for our archers
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:31:10 pm by m1895 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2020, 08:46:39 am »

Archery Ranges: (2) m1895, Failbird
Javelins: (1) C2M
The fact that our Archers are as rare as they are is going to be a hindrance if we want to make any sort of 'Elite' variety of them in the future. Because we'll need them to be pretty damn good to make up for being Rare
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:54:02 am by Failbird105 »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2020, 02:03:17 pm »

Cultist Marksmen: (1) Strider
Archery Ranges: (2) m1895, Failbird, Powder Miner
Javelins: (1) C2M
I'm down for improving our base archers.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30