Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma in cages  (Read 2433 times)

Trolden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma in cages
« on: November 10, 2019, 02:42:58 pm »

My fortress has a cage traps that regularly get flooded with magma. Standard dwarf stuff.
After the magma has been drained there's "magma [100]" left in some of the cages. It does not "dry up" over time like magma on the floor does. It's a problem because the dwarves will not re-use cages with magma in them. They think they're full. Does anyone know of any way to empty the magma from the cages?

This is DF 44.12 (the last version I played was DF 43.05 - and magma never got stuck in cages, so it may be new).

List of things that don't work:
  • Waiting
  • Flooding the cages with water

List of bad solutions:
  • Melt the cages: Bad because the magma accumulates at the smelter and never "dries up" there either

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma in cages
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 02:47:57 pm »

Sometimes saving and reloading saves seem to fix things like this. I have had things burn forever until I reloaded saves, including corpses.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 03:41:34 pm »

You can expel anything in a container by smashing that container into a wall at over 0,55 tiles/step. So you can load a cage into a minecart, push it down five accelerating ramps and have that crash into a wall, expel the cage, have cage crash into the wall and expel a pool of magma. Assuming your dwarves do move the cages.

Of course, expelling whoever you caught in cage into magma or against wall at supersonic speed (47+ accelerating ramps) can be more straightforward.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 03:43:13 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Trolden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 05:51:41 pm »

Thanks. Loading the cages into a minecart and smashing it against a wall fixed my problem!
Save & re-load the game does not fix the problem.
Thanks for your help Findulidas and Fleeting Frames.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:10:48 pm »

Caged. Magma.
We must weaponize this

You say the magma can "accumulate" at a smelter. Is there a limit to just how much magma can accumulate in this manner? Will the magma return to its fluid state if you then deconstruct the smelter? If so...

We may have just invented the suicide magma bomb. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:01:24 am »

Fill cage with magma.
Hook cage to lever.
...maybe surround with booze barrels?
Dwarven landmine?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 08:40:50 am »

@Superdorf: Yeah, if there's more than like 333 units of magma it makes 1/7 magma instead of "pool of magma." Though the pool can still set grass on fire...

There's definitely been modded experiments with magma-generating workshops showing "expel magma on destruction works" as well.

I don't know if melted cage stacks recombine, but you can melt minecarts instead. Melt enough carts to blanket 5x5 area, add a pressure plate and I guess you have new version of "trigger on building destruction" trigger.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 12:11:53 pm »

If there is no upper bound on the amount of magma that can be quantum stored inside a workshop, then there is potential to use a support-pillar suspended floor (after workshop loaded that is) to remote-deconstruct it, and then use it to flood a certain area in magma very quickly.  If the area is "enclosed", and is not sufficient volume for the resulting magma release, the magma will pressurize like you used a magma piston.

There are several applications for this.

As-is, however, there is quality application for single loaded cages full of magma, dropped into muddied and cavern fungus overgrown oubliettes from several Z (so that they xpel their contents on landing, and start a fire.)

That way 'retracting bridge drop pits' can also become more or less self processing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 03:00:03 pm »

There is upper limit: 5x5 tiles of 7/7 magma, per the usual "spill on deconstruction" logic.

Also, I'll note that only horizontal velocity causes expelling of items; vertical can hit speed limit and still not expel. You could use some cages with magma, others with people to cleanu up corpses this way with regular minecart crash however.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 09:59:58 pm »

There is upper limit: 5x5 tiles of 7/7 magma, per the usual "spill on deconstruction" logic.

Also, I'll note that only horizontal velocity causes expelling of items; vertical can hit speed limit and still not expel. You could use some cages with magma, others with people to cleanu up corpses this way with regular minecart crash however.
Is that only vertical limit down? I haven't ever tried throwing things straight up. (And don't know how) The best I've ever seen is the 45 degree angle parabolic flight from the Dwarven Space Program thread experiments. (Which, btw, remains my favorite way of disposing of caged clowns.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 10:11:33 pm »

I suppose you could dfhack to mirror the velocity from down to up, but as the code only looks at change in either direction, I wouldn't expect there to be changes.

For moving things straight up, there's also using retracting bridge below and downstair on destination z-level (at most 10 away). Sometimes item lands on downstair and stops moving.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 07:23:49 am »

Caged. Magma.
We must weaponize this
Anti-gremlin defense?

Or does there need to be a creature stored inside?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 07:49:15 am »

Caged. Magma.
We must weaponize this
Anti-gremlin defense?

Sounds needlessly complicated to kill gremlins. Just hook up a lever to a suitable death dealing functionality, such as a cave-in (which I use to trap them instead, but the fall can be made longer or into something dangerous, or the falling of ceiling rather than the floor), or magma behind/above a door.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 08:30:33 am »

Caged. Magma.
We must weaponize this
Anti-gremlin defense?

Sounds needlessly complicated to kill gremlins. Just hook up a lever to a suitable death dealing functionality, such as a cave-in (which I use to trap them instead, but the fall can be made longer or into something dangerous, or the falling of ceiling rather than the floor), or magma behind/above a door.
Since when has "needlessly complicated" stopped a dorf on his war against all life?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 11:33:38 am »

Is that only vertical limit down? I haven't ever tried throwing things straight up. (And don't know how) The best I've ever seen is the 45 degree angle parabolic flight from the Dwarven Space Program thread experiments. (Which, btw, remains my favorite way of disposing of caged clowns.)

How are you going to just bring that thread up without linking it?
Pages: [1] 2