Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal  (Read 38495 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 3 is Released... yes I changed the thread name.
« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2021, 02:52:57 pm »

You're explaining yourself properly, it's just that nobody else thinks Paradox wants to improve the AI but are holding themselves back because it'd interfere with their ability to add courts.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 3 is Released... yes I changed the thread name.
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2022, 09:58:35 pm »

Paradox has decided to double the price not only of future flavor packs but to retroactively double the price of Vikings and Iberian Struggle also:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-changes-to-flavor-pack-pricing.1538700/

Predictably Reddit, Twitter, and the Plaza are in a tizzy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2022, 02:27:57 am »

:(
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2022, 07:12:08 am »

Well this is a baffling decision.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2022, 07:24:52 am »

Well this is a baffling decision.

The dev teams have only put out half the intended DLC. How to hit revenue targets? Double prices! Big brain time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2022, 08:27:08 am »

Now I'm doubly glad I never buy flavor packs

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2022, 08:35:46 am »

Pdox used to have cheaper DLC that went on fairly steep discount, and ever since they decided to go public their discounts for anything other than the base game has been very limited and take longer to discount as well as costing more. Doubling the price of already released DLC just gives me more reason to avoid purchasing more.
Guess I'll just wait for big discount bundles to get more content.  ::)

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2022, 12:02:39 pm »

CK2 with  CK2+  mod and all the DLCs  is probably still better than CK3 anyway. 

Even then it felt like watching  paint dry half the time. 

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2022, 02:47:55 pm »

It is.

All CK3 has is "better graphics". But in my opinion, I could care less about graphics. I care more about aesthetics. If you look at the aesthetical design between CK2 and CK3, CK2 looks leagues better than CK3.

CK3 has that Fallout 4 3D "Play-Doh" look that I REALLY hate (anything that reminds me of Fallout 4, is an immediate negative).

Everything in CK3 is either dumbed down or not ported over from CK2 for whatever reason (such as functional merchant republics, nomads, the crusade mechanics from the last game, etc.). I suspect that the things that suspiciously weren't ported over, will in some capacity be repackaged as Content DLCs later down the line.

Honestly, the only reason why Paradox does all these stupid policies and blunders, is because they can. No other game company really is in the grand strategy/real-time map games market. It's so niche, Paradox has a near-monopoly on it. There is some growing competition, but they haven't garnered much clout compared to Paradox.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2022, 04:26:33 pm »

It is.

All CK3 has is "better graphics". But in my opinion, I could care less about graphics. I care more about aesthetics. If you look at the aesthetical design between CK2 and CK3, CK2 looks leagues better than CK3.

CK3 has that Fallout 4 3D "Play-Doh" look that I REALLY hate (anything that reminds me of Fallout 4, is an immediate negative).

Everything in CK3 is either dumbed down or not ported over from CK2 for whatever reason (such as functional merchant republics, nomads, the crusade mechanics from the last game, etc.). I suspect that the things that suspiciously weren't ported over, will in some capacity be repackaged as Content DLCs later down the line.

Honestly, the only reason why Paradox does all these stupid policies and blunders, is because they can. No other game company really is in the grand strategy/real-time map games market. It's so niche, Paradox has a near-monopoly on it. There is some growing competition, but they haven't garnered much clout compared to Paradox.
I always feel like the old man waving his cane at kids when I say this, but if Paradox had spent all the resources it dumped into making a 3D engine into nifty mechanics, I'd be far, far more interested in their products.  For a while, they felt like a more accessible alternative to Sliterine/Matrix, but I feel like the last several years of their work has been about trying to make their big hits "mainstream" by spending way more on their art assets and a 3D engine, leaving a big gap in the "polished grand strategy games focused on being grand strategy games" space.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2022, 04:32:54 pm »

Now I'm glad I never got into CK3.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #326 on: August 16, 2022, 06:14:53 pm »

Just to join my voice to the choir, Paradox lost me definitely when it made a game that I paid for 60 euros into F2P. I can't play a game that I paid full retail without watching advertisements, and I am extremely angry. If a miracle happens and they start making good games again, I might pirate them, but in no circumstance will I ever give them a cent again.

What is especially hurtful is I remember very well the time of CK1, when talking about Paradox games was a way to nerd-check new acquaintances. The company was a house darling.

No other game company really is in the grand strategy/real-time map games market. It's so niche, Paradox has a near-monopoly on it. There is some growing competition, but they haven't garnered much clout compared to Paradox.

Litterally all Kou Shibusawa's library. You might even look to titles that are stuck in japan, some of them have fan patches. I recommend Taikou Risshiden 5 if you are not adverse to the concept of mini games.

Edit : Well, it might not be real time, but real-time does not a lot for the genra anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:17:11 pm by Cathar »

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2022, 06:36:23 pm »

No other game company really is in the grand strategy/real-time map games market. It's so niche, Paradox has a near-monopoly on it. There is some growing competition, but they haven't garnered much clout compared to Paradox.

Litterally all Kou Shibusawa's library. You might even look to titles that are stuck in japan, some of them have fan patches. I recommend Taikou Risshiden 5 if you are not adverse to the concept of mini games.

I mean, if you're mentioning a game from 2004, I feel like that reinforces the notion that there isn't a lot of modern competition. And I think Koei, while not to the same degree as Paradox, has shown similar budget ratio changes through its history as it considers high-end graphics important in their modern titles.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2022, 06:58:22 pm »

Well, Kou Shibusawa's library is still going on today. They released another RoTK last year, and that's just off the top of my head. RoTK 14 was an absolute blessing by the way.

Koei's grand strategy may not be as known in the west as Paradox's ...? Quality wise it is comparable.

I agree that Paradox's audience has grow accustomed to the abuse, and of course the invisible hand is going to milk the whales, but with google and steam being things, accepting that a mid-sized company is going to decide the terms of the market and there's nothing we can do, appears very odd to me.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2022, 07:09:08 pm »

It is.

I always feel like the old man waving his cane at kids when I say this, but if Paradox had spent all the resources it dumped into making a 3D engine into nifty mechanics, I'd be far, far more interested in their products.  For a while, they felt like a more accessible alternative to Sliterine/Matrix, but I feel like the last several years of their work has been about trying to make their big hits "mainstream" by spending way more on their art assets and a 3D engine, leaving a big gap in the "polished grand strategy games focused on being grand strategy games" space.

The major issue Paradox has is that choosing to make the games real time places heavy limitations both on the actual mechanical possibilities and the ability of the AI to play the game. They are trapped by being real time and they can't do a ton of cool, flavorful mechanics that produce interesting decisions because the AI wouldn't be able to use them since only the player can pause to take the time. It would massively slow down the game.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23