Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal  (Read 38560 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Crusader Kings 3 is Released... yes I changed the thread name.
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2020, 11:49:19 am »

Has everyone given up on the game? I bought it.

It's better constructed as a game than CK2 is, but it currently lacks the sheer volume of interacting systems that create as interesting stories as CK2 did. Considering CK2 had years of DLC adding more on top of it, this is fine.

But it does mean that after a few playthroughs you hit the point of seeing most of what you wanted, backing off and waiting for updates and DLCs to add more systems.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:55:05 am by MorleyDev »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2020, 04:30:12 pm »

Has everyone given up on the game? I bought it.

It's better constructed as a game than CK2 is, but it currently lacks the sheer volume of interacting systems that create as interesting stories as CK2 did. Considering CK2 had years of DLC adding more on top of it, this is fine.

But it does mean that after a few playthroughs you hit the point of seeing most of what you wanted, backing off and waiting for updates and DLCs to add more systems.

Yeah, the game has a lot of potential but currently you hit the "well I've seen everything and now I'm bored, let's fuck things up" phase rather quickly.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2020, 07:25:39 pm »

The only thing CK3 has for it is really.. good graphics.. but that's it. It is not very meaty compared to CK2 or with more in-depth mechanics than that previous game. This is obvious however as others pointed out, the game still will be "fleshed-out later". Honestly the only reason why Paradox gets away with this because they tap into a niche market it literally has no competition in at all. They release games with bare-bones stuff and tac DLC-after-DLC incessantly.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 03, 2020, 07:30:07 pm »

I haven't played still, but are modders able to tack on stuff easily so far? I imagine the graphics will make it harder to add stuff like the Elder Scrolls mod.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #274 on: December 03, 2020, 07:37:30 pm »

I'd argue CK3 is perfectly fully featured. As a game. What it isn't is a near-infinitely playable story generator. Which is what CK2 became. I'd argue CK3 wasn't trying to be such a thing at launch, because CK2 only became that because of nearly a decade of constant development.

CK3's core mechanical structure is stronger than CK2s. Character progression, the stress system and the way it interacts with decisions in events, the military system, the plots system, all of these are superior to CK2s as game mechanics. You can extract a solid few dozen hours of play out of it easily, but it doesn't have all the extra fluff on top that makes for an Infinite Story Generator. If that's what you want, come back in a few years after they've added some extra bloat. If not, it's a good game.

I haven't played still, but are modders able to tack on stuff easily so far? I imagine the graphics will make it harder to add stuff like the Elder Scrolls mod.

The modding system is pretty solid. There's already been some Total Conversions already, a Bronze Age mod and a Vampire: The Masquerade mod. Graphics is harder in the sense that you need to develop higher quality models to fit in, but unlike the Total War games they've kept it all still data driven so it's all open to modders.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:48:24 pm by MorleyDev »

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 03, 2020, 08:33:24 pm »

I've gotten a bit more into the new VTM mod and I can tell you pretty confidently that the modding system seems much stronger. The CK2 mod had probably 2-3x the dev of this version and this version of the VTM mod still feels so much better. The skill trees works so well for the system, and the eras seem like they'll do a lot to represent the different source books. I think we'll get some really good mods for this game, it's just going to take time. VTM is solid right now, but clearly is going to be much better in the future. No idea about the bronze age mod though as I haven't really played it.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2020, 09:30:23 am »

The only thing CK3 has for it is really.. good graphics.. but that's it. It is not very meaty compared to CK2 or with more in-depth mechanics than that previous game. This is obvious however as others pointed out, the game still will be "fleshed-out later". Honestly the only reason why Paradox gets away with this because they tap into a niche market it literally has no competition in at all. They release games with bare-bones stuff and tac DLC-after-DLC incessantly.

Well having played 180 hours of it already, I certainly don't agree that the game is bare-bones or that the only thing it has going for it is the graphic, though that upgrade is certainly nice. I feel like the whole concept has had a nice, streamlining overhaul that makes the game more approachable without reducing it's complexity much, and that is exceedingly promising for future development and a lot nicer to play than the previous game.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2020, 11:01:16 am »

Had an interesting succession with my Hungary game.

My dude died with a kid as an heir, so the inevitable factions of “install x o throne” popped up and I had limited options. I bribed people, gave wards, and even reduced tribal authority to no avail.

I was partway through winning that when Lesser Poland decided they wanted all my stuff in a subjugation war, able to field slightly more than me due to alliances, but since I’m tribal but live in a castle that I can’t upgrade as a result, I had enough money to hire some mercs to bounce between smashing Poles and smashing pretenders.

The last part of the war against Poland involved going back and forth between two counties next to a mountain as the Poles couldn’t decide which way they wanted to go before they essentially ran out of time to take anything from me, allowing me to take back the only county the faction took from me to win that one.

Now I’m waiting to get tribal authority back up so I can revoke some titles and-

Oh, now..: someone is pressing the claim of someone else, and they’re allied to the Byzantines. Despite having converted to Orthodox, and being buffered only by the Bulgarians, it never actually occurred to me they would be a problem/helpful hammer until now.

Ah well, the next time I load up the game will be interesting.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2020, 12:20:24 pm »

I feel like this game doesn't have as much "life" as CKII. It feels very much like there's only a handful of events, and those are mostly tied to what your lifestyle is at the time. CKII stuff would fire fairly frequently that added a lot of things to do.

This game has a better skeleton, but CKII has more meat on its bones. I hope they remedy this in the future, as it stands it feels a lot less like an RPG-grand strategy and a lot more like a grand strategy with RPG elements.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2020, 01:09:51 pm »

Well CKII has years of development and many additions to vanilla.

I prefer the CKIII events so far though, since they actually make you consider the various options a bit more than the CKII ones. It also makes sense the events are tied to your lifestyle, tgouhh the some of them are a bit clunky.”, such as “your friend has been hanging around near council meetings to get a good view of your leadership” which I would hope for considering they are a councillor.

I got a letter from the king of Bulgaria saying one of my vassals was plotting against me. I could choose the option to make my vassals like me, but risk giving a boost to my vassal’s plot if they were actually plotting against me, but wait I’m at war with you so I can’t trust you king of Bulgaria, or the time someone gifted me a nice carpet. Prestige bonus for 10 years but also bonus to hostile plots ‘cause I put it in my bedroom.

Also the character I became in my post above, when he grew up he gave a summary of the friends and enemies he made, and he didn’t like his aunt ‘cause she bullied him and broke his beloved stick horse one time. Your decisions feel like they have an effect on the game world much more in CKIII.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 08, 2020, 03:44:49 am »

I really like that converting counties is timed rather than random. In CkII when I was playing it only tribes could convert culture and it was random with a very low chance of firing and it took much longer in my experience. There are not peasant revolts firing off constantly too.

I also like the forced recruitment option for captured courtiers, and that it didn't result in my character's death from a bunch of minor courtiers joining the kill player faction (though I had a loyal and skilled spymaster too)

The hooks system is also cool.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:53:42 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 08, 2020, 06:14:26 am »

Personally I wish they didn't nerf any and all methods of power consolidation out of reach for the majority of the game's runtime.
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:47 am »

I really like that converting counties is timed rather than random. In CkII when I was playing it only tribes could convert culture and it was random with a very low chance of firing and it took much longer in my experience. There are not peasant revolts firing off constantly too.

I also like the forced recruitment option for captured courtiers, and that it didn't result in my character's death from a bunch of minor courtiers joining the kill player faction (though I had a loyal and skilled spymaster too)

The hooks system is also cool.

I prefer it to be both timed and random, ie the traditional Paradox way. I dislike when it feels too formulaic an inorganic.
Love, scriver~

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2021, 02:28:07 pm »

I prefer the CKIII events so far though, since they actually make you consider the various options a bit more than the CKII ones. It also makes sense the events are tied to your lifestyle, tgouhh the some of them are a bit clunky.”, such as “your friend has been hanging around near council meetings to get a good view of your leadership” which I would hope for considering they are a councillor.

Do wish they put a dash more dev into areas outside of Europe/Middle East as playing as someone on the far east end of the map does have the 'study ancient battles - ooo Thermopylae' event strike a bit strange.  Though since not many people seem to bring it up it was probably a good idea from a development allocation perspective and I don't really begrudge them for it.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2021, 03:06:38 pm »

I think they mostly included a further region of the map than CK2 started with to prove that the engine could take the bigger maps fine (whilst CK2 was at the limits of it's possible map size) and as an extra nice-to-have. Most people play in the western regions so for an MVP it makes the most sense to focus there, then include the east as something you can build upon.

Some of the in-progress Total Conversions for CK3 are looking pretty cool. Can't wait for me to have some CK3 Elder Kings.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23