Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: Oldlands: Age of Dwarves  (Read 34320 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Age of Industry
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2020, 12:47:13 am »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2020, 01:12:37 am »

Seek refuge in the East
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2020, 02:13:57 am »

Ask the dwarves for help!
+1
+1.
I personally like the idea of a Lawful League of sorts.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2020, 04:10:43 am »

+1
+1.
+1 Let's form an Alliance to fight off the Horde of Chaotic creatures!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2020, 06:45:12 am »

+1
+1.
+1 Let's form an Alliance to fight off the Horde of Chaotic creatures!
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2020, 08:46:38 am »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2020, 11:03:41 am »

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2020, 09:00:22 pm »

Aril took his place on a fortified balcony, with one of his master's guns. Like many others, it was converted from a captured fuse musket, now sporting a hammer and frizzen to blast away at the pull of the trigger. No matches needed, and one could actually focus on aiming the thing. It took the dwarves of Idodur seven years to perfect this since they first acquired such a gun from a foreign dwarven trader.

For all their want of quiet, the Giants were very loud going into battle. When the lot of them poured forth through the crack in the wall, Aril opened the first cartridge, and lowered the ear flaps on his hat before lining the barrel to aim. Today would not be quiet at all.

Kerblam! His and fifteen other shooters' volley tore right into the crowd, cracking the Giants' stony hides and knocking some down before they could close in to bang at the gates. Aril grit his teeth. Reload, aim.
Kerblam! Some of the Giants began trickling back while others just roared in fury as they leapt upon the steel bars. There, Aril could see a squad with axes and spears shifting around into a hasty shieldwall. He cursed as he fumbled with the gun to ready it for a third shot. The gates shattered. No way to aim into the fray.

It took just a minute for the battle to devolve into a total meat grinder of chaos. He saw banner poles cracking, bodies getting tossed about, a Giant with his leg hacked clean off, along with his foe headless on the ground. The dwarves fell back in a disorganized fashion, clearing the inner area behind the gates. Aril's own position atop the wall was about to be forfeit, but he wouldn't let them have it so easy. Because he also had grenades.

Two days before this, a bedraggled bunch of Ratlings had arrived to the gates opposite of these. Their leader, an old blind rat, spoke of monsters in the western caves under the command of a powerful goblin witch. The guards were going to turn them away but one of the guildmasters intervened on the Ratlings' behalf, and they were allowed to settle in the lower caves. Today, a few Ratling sharpshooters were up here with their crossbows, helping defend Idodur.

Aril missed the last part of the battle; he managed to lob three grenades before a piece of collapsing ceiling hit him on the head. When consciousness returned, he wasn't sure if he was out for a minute or a day. There was smoke, and shouting; stumbling, he found a way downstairs and across the courtyard, praying not to pass out again on one of the corpse piles.

"Another survivor!" Multiple hands grabbed him and carried him inside the gates. There were people, many wounded and bandaged, the room smelling of herbs and blood. A makeshift infirmary; Aril was surprised to find an old Ratling busy with herbal preparations while two apprentices assisted a Dwarven surgeon in another corner.

"Did we win?"
That was a stupid question. Of course they did.
Spoiler: The dice are rolled! (click to show/hide)

During the same summer, Ngerxung successfully bred corpse fiends, using the old tombs as feeding grounds. Now she had a sizeable number of them to set up as a new minion group. She decided to bolster it with the golem as well, and there was a perfect target to try out its strength. Some so-called druids worshipping a man-eating plant in a corner. Their flesh and bone would feed her hungering horde through the rest of the year.
Spoiler: The dice are rolled! (click to show/hide)
Throughout the fall, all factions regained their breath a little, except for the druid cave which was completely destroyed in just two attacks. Giants tried to raid Ineth Nil, and lost again as the city's defenses were bolstered by Dwarven engineers now. An expedition was sent from Idodur to rescue the contents of the old library of Asteshdatan, adding more scrolls to the Dwarves' growing repository of knowledge.

In the winter, the Dwarves were busy chronicling the events of the year. Despite the shared victory, the Ratling tribe never really integrated into the city-state, preferring to remain a satellite much like the now-industrialized Theliiri commune. There were plans to accommodate both of those later, but for now looming overpopulation prevented much of the unification effort.

Despite technological advance, Idodur's resources had their limits; they could sustain eight extended families whereas any excess would have to spearhead Dwarven expansion, or splinter off into a settlement of their own. The latter was precisely what happened in the spring of 85. Seven dwarves, a donkey and a single pick was the recipe for a new colony over the unoccupied gold mines. The seven hoped to gain a veritable name for themselves, and they started by naming the mine: Kadbash Atol, "Hamaxe of Truth".
Spoiler: Map by 85 (click to show/hide)
In case you're wondering why Ngerxung doesn't have a visible territory on the map, it's because her power base is distributed: she can move anywhere and send her minions anywhere. Other factions only have such ability as far as their territory extends. All of the dirt and stone are already hers as far as she is concerned; what matters to her is to control the creatures inhabiting it. She also uses burial grounds as her outposts, as evident by the supply caches there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:30:26 pm by Murphy »

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 03, 2020, 10:14:52 am »

In the spring of 85 the Dwarves established new posts at the Theliiri enclave and in the old library. Their western borders were harassed by corpse fiends, but nothing too bad; despite their growing numbers, the beasts couldn't really match the power of gunpowder. Kadbash Atol asserted its independence by mining the gold vein and offering fair trades to its parent civilization.

Monsters won some ground for themselves as well. A flock of Harpies arrived from the west, driven by hunger and cold. Giants were not heard from as they sought more of their dormant brethren to rouse. The unfortunate Ratlings guarding the dungeon entrance were also not heard from, for a different reason: the Lamias took over the abandoned castle.

By the time it was summer, Ngerxung's runaway experimenting led to a massed infestation she could only loosely control. She set a few ambushes for dwarven patrols, but succeeded at merely preventing them from venturing into the Goblin ruins. When Harpies began harassing her new breeding grounds, she attempted to bring them under her heel as well, but failed. Harpies and corpse fiends went tooth and claw on each other, and she was way too busy preventing loss of her servants to bother the Dwarves this season.

Later the same summer, a small band of Giants led by a young daredevil named Baleog launched a surprise attack on the mines at Kadbash Atol and made off with a load of gold. This would have far-reaching consequences as it led to the creation of a new faction within the tribe. By the winter the old chieftain Granitebeard found himself overthrown, and Baleog, who shared neither his forebears' desire for continued rest nor their single-mindedness in vengeance, decided it was time to lead the tribe to a new ground.

Meanwhile, the Dwarves were all too happy to take advantage of the peace and began recolonizing Asteshdatan and improving relations with their allies. As the calendar winter settled in, the soon to be famous "History of the Theliiri people" was composed by the dwarven scribe Datan Äsadil during his stay in Ineth Nil, and plans for a new venture were made in the drawing rooms of the city hall.
Spoiler: Map by 86 (click to show/hide)
Make a choice of an advancement for the Dwarves:
  • Geology station. Dwarven metallurgists learn to extract tungsten and platinum from ores previously considered useless. Add a new mine on the map and expand the foundry at Idodur. This will lead to new weapons.
  • Observatory. Build an observatory tower on the surface, connected to the dwarven realm by a new tunnel. Expand the library at Idodur to store the star catalogues and new theories of the universe. It will also improve the Dwarves' diplomatic ability.
  • Textile factory. The denizens require warm clothing and increasingly complex bureaucracy demands more paper. This will be a source of employment for the Ratlings. Also expand the city hall at Idodur.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:17:25 am by Murphy »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 03, 2020, 10:25:22 am »

Hmn... military, science/diplomacy, and economy. Interesting.

I personally feel inclined toward the observatory, but I’ll be happy no matter which of these we end up with.

Quick everyone make sure to tie the vote so we get everything
( :P )
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 03, 2020, 11:12:12 am »

Observatory

No mention of the destruction of the Ant-Man outpost?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 03, 2020, 11:52:59 am »

Textile Factory

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2020, 11:57:20 am »

Geology station. Dwarven metallurgists learn to extract tungsten and platinum from ores previously considered useless. Add a new mine on the map and expand the foundry at Idodur. This will lead to new weapons. 

New weapons will secure what we have now, and should lead to both of the other 2 opportunities (Observatory, and Rat employment) at a similar time frame. 

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2020, 12:38:37 pm »

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2020, 03:39:22 pm »

Observatory
Hopefully the Ratlings will be allowed to use it too
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25