Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: Oldlands: Age of Dwarves  (Read 34365 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Draconic Age
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2019, 11:48:25 am »

Why bother with petty villains when you can have a Draconic Age?
:D :D :D
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2019, 04:53:59 am »

In the year 65, events progressed as follows.

It turned out that the disappearance of wild Tritons in the ruins of Yantar'Eryovl was not all Igg's doing. A basilisk had made a lair there, and over the years its petrifying gaze had contributed many new works to the abandoned city's statue gardens. Now the dragon had come and slain the basilisk, then decided to break the curse on some of the statues, returning them back to life. Though mightiest of all, Vîrfesh had a use for lesser beings in the new order he envisioned for his realm—and they would serve him faithfully.

With his new Triton minions, Vîrfesh began laying the groundwork for domination of the entire region. In the summer he cleared the overgrown tunnel upstairs, wading through the submerged area and into the Troglodyte territory. Awed by his might, the Troglos were easily dominated into servitude. Most of the tribe was relocated from the upper caves closer to the lair and as soon as the next season it began supplementing the dragon's growing army.

The Antlings were next. By the time the dragon's area of influence crossed theirs, they were already established as an independent small hive in Ineth Nil, with their own queen and a host of workers. However, their warrior ranks were severely depleted by the onslaught of the Warped. The queen chose to ally with the dragon, and the Antlings were left to their devices so long as they would pay tribute.

The Warped were still there with their armor and weapons of eldritch metal, doomed to wreak havoc on whoever entered their cursed halls. The dragon's army was no exception; after losing two squads Vîrfesh decided to seal off the passage. Afterwards he spent the winter consolidating realm defenses against possible incursion.

Because of all this, the upper tunnels ceased being contested, and the group of dwarves was able to settle down, though they did not yet reopen their old mines. Similarly, the humans prospered, conflict elsewhere only reaching them as distant rumors.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Vîrfesh will invade and conquer the valley if he can raise an army larger than its combined population. But even though there are a whopping 17 units of population on the surface, it's only a matter of time before he can match that. He needs competition, which will come first in the form of foolhardy adventurers braving the tunnels in search of loot.

However, those can hardly rival a dragon's strength, not without powers granted by knowledge beyond mortal ken. Luckily (or perhaps not), there is another creature who does have that knowledge. Her name is Gloomf.

Make a choice:
  • Gloomf wields the secrets of life and death as a Lich Queen. Undead legions follow in her wake.
  • Gloomf wields her powers to mind-control and infiltrate factions as the leader of the Mind Cabal.
  • Gloomf wields only her trusty walking staff as she joins the next adventuring group, incognito.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:00:36 am by Murphy »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2019, 05:02:40 am »

Of those three, incognito strikes me as most entertaining.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2019, 05:48:27 am »

Lich Queen
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2019, 06:06:24 am »

Lich Queen
Noble Nafuni Engineer

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2019, 06:14:53 am »

Incognito
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2019, 06:17:40 am »

Incognito

While incognito is interesting -- our previous adventuring team was underwhelming, whether due to bad luck or otherwise. It's basically the mystery option.

I wouldn't mind it winning; but Lich Queen seemed appropriate after her transcendence.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2019, 06:49:26 am »

I like the idea of a person named Gloomf travelling with various random adventuring parties secretly being a super powerful wizard. It just sounds funny.

Besides, evil necromancers seem to be the norm for fantasy universe villains. I want to see something different and, in my eyes, more interesting and potentially comedic.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2019, 06:54:22 am »

I like the idea of a person named Gloomf travelling with various random adventuring parties secretly being a super powerful wizard. It just sounds funny.

Besides, evil necromancers seem to be the norm for fantasy universe villains. I want to see something different and, in my eyes, more interesting and potentially comedic.

Y-... You do realize Gloomf is the Triton queen, right?
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2019, 06:58:59 am »

Y-... You do realize Gloomf is the Triton queen, right?

Like he said. Potentially comedic. :))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2019, 07:55:00 am »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2019, 08:18:01 am »

Incognito

I wonder if she'll only travel with existing adventure groups, or if she'll occasionally bully some hobbits put together a group of her own design out of unassuming but ultimately heroic crofters.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2019, 09:37:02 am »

Incognito!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2019, 10:29:42 am »

Incognito
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:52:00 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2019, 02:29:14 pm »

Incognito 

She has come to rescue the last of the wild Tritons, held under the dragons control.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25