Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25

Author Topic: Oldlands: Age of Dwarves  (Read 34331 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Age of Civilization
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2019, 02:12:38 am »

Azstrog returns

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2019, 02:37:34 am »

Dwarven Invasion!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2019, 04:00:28 am »

Kill the Dwarves!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2019, 04:31:05 am »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2019, 09:21:19 am »

I support surface goblins.
+1 The goblin society collapses into civil war, and Mato leads the survivors in an exodus to the surface. (Least carnage)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2019, 10:03:59 am »

There may not be proof of snatching for the dwarves, but the circumstances are hard to ignore.
The dwarves invade!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2019, 10:17:08 am »

The dwarvish invasion can wait until after the civil war, thank you kindly.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2019, 10:21:36 am »

Why do you have an attachment to a species who commits slavery?, they should be hurt by both sides for imprisoning not just dwarves, but the tritons too.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2019, 10:23:23 am »

I just want to see what happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2019, 01:56:58 pm »

The dwarves invade!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
End of the Age
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2019, 09:38:34 am »

Even though Momuz, Rith and Zefon were the original three who first set foot in this valley, they were now apart.

Zefon wanted to consolidate all subclans, revisit the ideas of glassmaking and farming industries, build a standing army and form a capital for a new dwarven kingdom. Many of the old guard supported him, as did the Canyontown family (that of his wife Ilral Tobulamost, tobul-amost = canyon-town).

On the other hand, Momuz and Rith in the city of Ineth Nil considered his policies stagnant and obsolete. The gold vein is not infinite, they argued, and instead of searching for more, Zefon wants to settle down and farm? That's not the dwarven way, and that's why they broke off in the first place, and since then, nothing had been done to lessen the rift.

Still, many of the miners in Ineth Nil had family in Asteshdatan, and vice versa, so whatever grudges the leaders might've had, the tensions did not exist for common dwarves.

In the fall of 45, Momuz and Rith sent an emissary to Zefon, asking for resources to invest in new expeditions deeper into the mountain, using Ineth Nil as a base. It was their third such request, the first two going unheeded. To their surprise, the emissary returned just a week after, bearing a letter.

"We are planning a military campaign.", the letter said. "Help us defeat the goblins and we'll help your mining forays."

Four months later, in the spring of 46, the dwarves marched on Ngomongong.

CLANG! the crossbow bolt smashed the bricks six feet away from Atu, where the tunnel was taking a turn. The sounds of fighting drew closer; he dared not stick his head out to look, and his hands were shaking as he unsheathed his cleaver. He wasn't a fighter, he was a cook, and all of the butchery experience in the world could not have prepared him for this.

He looked back at his companions Ber and Nguslu, peons much like him, when he realized Overseer Zolak was missing. Atu froze up for a heartbeat. Zolak must've been absent for some time, which could've meant his chance to escape with his life. "Tunnels!" he gasped, "We can run!", but it came out as a hoarse whisper. His voice had failed him as did his cleaver arm; whatever resolve he had was surely in his legs now.

The rest of the hour was a blur. Atu knew the tunnels inside out from his years as a servant; he had a knack for direction and his quick feet were prized for message deliveries (to the kitchens and back), and served him well to avoid being stabbed when the addressee did not like the message. Today was just like that.

Ngomongong was burning; some idiot had set fire to the unmined coal seams, the smoke now choking the life out of attackers and defenders alike. He saw a dwarven team fetching water to douse fires in the main chamber after they'd cleared the resistance. Three spans west, soot-covered survivors were beating up a squirming heap that must've been an overseer. Three more spans west, empty torture chambers, most of the good iron taken to use as impromptu weapons. Three more... a cave-in. Dead end.

Right, this used to the the tunnel that led to the old Citadel. Atu, Ber and Nguslu were trapped.

The fires were dying, so were the goblins. Captain Rakust led his squad deeper into the goblin tunnels, on a mission to find dwarven prisoners, if any were still alive, and free them. But everywhere he looked, there was only death. Apparently the goblins were in the midst of slaughtering each other when the dwarven vanguard broke the border; to their credit, they did stop to face the new threat, only it wasn't enough.

"There's no prisoners, there's no loot. It's all been replaced by a pile of corpses."
"Contrary! I found one, Cap'n!"
"..."

Round the corner was a dead end with three huddled figures. Two were goblins; realizing their hiding place was discovered, they made a desperate break for it, and several militiadwarves scrambled after. The third one, a dwarf, did not move. "Halt!" the captain barked, then remembered to lower his voice. "Can you understand me?" Mentally, he tried to match the young dwarf's appearance with any of those missing. "What is your name, young'un? We have come to rescue you."

The dwarf took a little step forward, and seemed to stop trembling. He spoke then, mangling Dwarven words as if he was reading from a garbled scroll. "Name... be..."

The scream of one of the goblins broke the silence, followed by a hacking sound. For the first time in years spent in these caves, Atu's fear was suddenly gone.

"Arrgh! My name is Atu! ATU BLOODAXE! Prepare to DIE!"
Atu Ogomagun, Cook has become enraged!

(Map, wrap-up and details about the next Age coming soon.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:37:36 am by Murphy »

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Between the Ages
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2019, 07:35:10 am »

It is the year 55. The wind howls through the Dwarven halls.

After the Goblin War, expeditions were sent down into the depths in search of valuable metals. Some returned carrying platinum nuggets, lumps of garnierite and faint yellow diamonds. Others returned... changed. A few never spoke again, spending their days drinking. Others wouldn't cease babbling about molten rock and "eyes of the earth", and one attempted to set fire to the alcohol stocks. The final group returned bearing weapons of strange metal, unparalleled in strength. Which would be good news, had the group not turned the weapons against those of Asteshdatan.

In a fight of hastily-drawn fifty militia against seven "former dwarves", the seven cut through them like a hot knife through butter. Cackling maniacally, they withstood crossbow fire, bleeding and yet moving to attack until the defenders scattered. Their further fate is unknown, for the surviving dwarves abandoned the settlement. Whatever portable treasure could be taken along, was taken, and the rest remained, free for the taking by whoever would dare to settle here. (Nobody did for many years.)

Goblins fared a little better. In the aftermath of the war, many non-warriors survived as their priestess Mato Hexjackal led them east through the watery sump and into the abandoned mines, escaping the wrath of the Dwarves. Afterwards they dug a tunnel off-map to reach the surface, moving away from the cursed valley to find a better place to live, but carrying the legend of this place with them.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Before we move on to the Age of Monsters, primordial forces must waken again briefly, causing a cataclysm of valley-spanning reach. Maar the Creator is probably watching the world again. In any case, choose the nature of the disaster:
Tectonic. Earthquakes rumble through the underground, collapsing several areas. A new chasm runs through the earth, and a volcanic eruption obliterates parts of the landscape. New ore deposits possible, as well as vengeful elemental spirits.
Biogenic. Many tunnels become overgrown and collapse. Mutated beasts roam the upper layers while horrible plagues lie in dormancy in isolated caves. Water becomes foul and poisonous. Green slime and man-eating plants are more common in this Age.
Glacial. A fallen star signifies the start of a minor ice age. For a prolonged period, the local climate will be arctic. Surface dwellers are at a disadvantage and spend their first two turns just trying to survive instead of expanding. Most water is frozen.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:11:22 am by Murphy »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2019, 07:39:49 am »

Biogenic

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Between the Ages
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2019, 08:10:57 am »

I like the sound of all of them and wish we could do all at once, but sense I have to chose I'll pick Biogenic because I really want to see the mutants take over.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25